Quantcast

..got in a fight tonight....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
and i was just about to hit the gym and call it a night.

short version of the story:

get a call to a domestic disturbance. female has already taken out a warrant on the boyfriend for assault a few hours earlier. boyfriend is now back at the house banging on the door. we arrive hoping to find and arrest the girl-beating boyfriend for the outstanding warrant. he sneaks away before we arrive.

- i start heading back to the station for my workout as it is near the end of my shift 0100 am -

get a call that boyfriend is back.

i arrive before my backup does and go around back of the house where BG (Bad Guy) is supposed to be. i see him hiding under a small card table that has a long tablecloth draped over it. i pull my weapon, tell him to show me his hands. he doesn't. makes me nervous 'cause i can only see his legs. i yell louder.....he finally stands up, begins to cuss me out and starts walking backwards away from me as if he's going to run. i tell him to get on the ground 'cause he's under arrest.......he says "f u", i holster my gun and charge toward him. i grab his arm he swings at my head and misses....

**insert 2 minute knock-down, drag-out fight **

(by the way, he's 6'2", 250lbs and i'm 5'10", 230lbs.....so it was a good brawl)

backup arrives and finds me sitting on top of BG's stomach holding his arms down......we handcuff him and you know the rest......

so anyway.....i escaped that one with nothing but a couple scratch marks on my neck from where he tried to choke me.
i guess my reason for posting this is that stuff like this makes me realize that i really love my job. it's cool to get tested like that and get paid for it. i've been in a lot of skirmishes but this was, by far, the most intense one because he was actually bigger than me and he tried to go for my gun. (most "resist arrest" incidents are over in less than 10 secs...but this guy really wanted to hurt me)

ahhh....it's just a good feeling to come out of something like that unscathed....and then collect the paycheck for it :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
you should have clamped him brandon.

you know when you have 'em on the ground you spread your butt cheeks and sit down on his noce the start fartin.

it would be hard for me to resist once i had him on the giving him the old cheap shot punch to the nuts just to drive home the fact that i am the law and he needs to respect that.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Mtbkngrl said:
Do you guys carry Tasers? Their ideal because you're allowed to shoot someone in the back ;)
That was my first thought, scrapping takes a hell of alot of energy, why tire yourself out, you got weekend riding to do.... :monkey:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Could have used your assistance last night when I had to deal with a drunk guy who had crashed his car at 1:30 a.m and told me I could "make some money" if I backed it out of the trees and let him drive away.:rolleyes:

Good job on the take down, I have the utmost respect for the police and the sh!t you put up with.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
stubby said:
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, u showed that redneck. u need to get a little helment cam so you can post pics of your brawls, and or shootings for us!

ha...i wish he was a redneck. the dude played the race card all the way to jail. the fact that he had really long dreads is probably what gave me the advantage 'cause i had a hold of them when i was finally able to pull him to the ground. "where the head goes, the body will follow".

--he did get pepper sprayed but that was after the fight, he wouldn't get into the car and he was too big to force into it. he just locked his body in the door jam....i little bit of 10% OC took care of that problem.

he was screaming, "aaaaagghh! that's the worst pain i ever done had! i ain't never going to do that again!! "
i guess it served it's purpose ;)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ridetoofast said:
glad to hear that you got out alright but i am curious as to why you did go at him and not just wait for back up.

i'll answer all of the "wait for backup" and "why no tazer" questions with this.

1. we don't carry tazers in my department yet as they're under investigation stemming from several pending court cases arguing their safety.

2. if the guy was inside the house, unable to quickly escape and i could see that he was not immediately harming anyone, i would have waited. but the dude was under an outdoor table when i walked up and i couldn't see what was in his hands. one of those, "oh sh#t!" moments and he wasn't exactly complying with my request to show me his hands. then when he did finally stand up he started walking backwards toward the only avenue of escape and he was blading off as if he were about to run. kind of like when you played tag as a kid and you got close to the person you were trying to tag and you knew when they were about to bolt. so i went ahead and rushed him to keep him from running. i'd rather fight a dude than chase him for 100 yds through an area that he knows better than me and then have to fight him when i'm tired from sprinting.

3. i still don't know why i didn't pull my asp. i was too far away to effectively use pepper and it all happened so fast that pulling my asp wasn't really an option. besides....i felt fairly confident in my abilities between the marine corps, some mixed martial arts and police defensive tactics that i could handle the dude. all that stuff goes through your brain at warp speed when you have to make the fight/flight decision.

thanks for the kudos....i was hoping this wouldn't turn into another cop bashing thread. just thought i'd share a cool story w/ my fellow :monkey:'s.

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
Who was he harming under the table in the back yard?
Not trying to bash ya, just playing devil's advocate...if you have back up coming and there's no immediate threat then why risk it...it doesn't matter how much experience you have with military or martial arts, if the guy is going for your gun and gets it, your done...no more riding with your son...all over some scumbag. Two cops are better than one, we should always have the better odds...just my opinion.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Mtbkngrl said:
Who was he harming under the table in the back yard?
Not trying to bash ya, just playing devil's advocate...if you have back up coming and there's no immediate threat then why risk it...it doesn't matter how much experience you have with military or martial arts, if the guy is going for your gun and gets it, your done...no more riding with your son...all over some scumbag. Two cops are better than one, we should always have the better odds...just my opinion.

he wasn't harming anyone under the table....but the fact that i could see him and he could see me and i coulndn't see if he had something in his hands...like a GUN (considering that he had threatened to come back and shoot his girlfriend of whom he had just beat up), i couldn't just leave him be. so i wait and let him get away just to come back and harm the victim another time?

ideally, it would have been wise to wait for backup....but this is considered "exigent circumstances". i'm not the type to just stand by and wait...hard to un-train that response.

it's part of the job. could i risk letting him get back in the house to harm the victim again by just sitting in my car waiting? if it were you calling the police and you saw them pull up as the bad guy is trying to force open your back door would you want me to wait around for backup?
i'll take my chances and my family understands that

and as far as him going for my gun: if he can get it out of a triple-retention holster (3 different movements/safety releases must be made/deactivated before the gun will come out of the holster) before i get to my concealed backup gun....then there's something horribly wrong. i was able to keep him well away from my gun but he was reaching for it which helped to elevate the threat/response situation.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
manimal said:
ha...i wish he was a redneck. the dude played the race card all the way to jail. the fact that he had really long dreads is probably what gave me the advantage 'cause i had a hold of them when i was finally able to pull him to the ground. "where the head goes, the body will follow".

--he did get pepper sprayed but that was after the fight, he wouldn't get into the car and he was too big to force into it. he just locked his body in the door jam....i little bit of 10% OC took care of that problem.

he was screaming, "aaaaagghh! that's the worst pain i ever done had! i ain't never going to do that again!! "
i guess it served it's purpose ;)
Ha ha! it's a glorious day whenever we get to OC somebody. I love the one second or so that it takes for someone with a faceful of OC to feel it. The look on their face is glorious. Honestly, I don't think it's as bad as most people think. After getting requaled 4 times in 8 months (volunteering to get requalled mind you, our OC qual is good for 2 years) it doesn't hurt any worse, but it's easier to handle.

What size ASP do you guys carry on duty? The 21" ones?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Jorvik said:
Ha ha! it's a glorious day whenever we get to OC somebody. I love the one second or so that it takes for someone with a faceful of OC to feel it. The look on their face is glorious. Honestly, I don't think it's as bad as most people think. After getting requaled 4 times in 8 months (volunteering to get requalled mind you, our OC qual is good for 2 years) it doesn't hurt any worse, but it's easier to handle.

What size ASP do you guys carry on duty? The 21" ones?
i think we have the smaller 17" ones...not those huge beast i've seen in the GALLS catalog.

i HATE OC! i'd rather go through a gas chamber full of CS naked w/ no mask 10 times than voluntarily take OC again. my sinuses flare up really bad from it and i was hurting for 2 days after we were sprayed in training. oh yeah....mild saucs at taco bell makes me sweat :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Right on Manimal! :thumb:

Glad you you came out of it unscathed. You rock, man.... I hate men who beat their wives/girlfriends.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Right on man! I love hearing firsthand accounts like this. It reaffirms my faith in police that they really do face the worst of the worst on a daily basis, and they deserve our respect.

Just out of curiosity....does your dept. allow you to carry a concealed backup or is it a personal choice?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I wish I was there doing a ride-along so I could kick him in the nuts. High Point is crazy at times man, I went to school with alot of them...

glad to hear you are OK and got the job done man. :thumb:

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
manimal said:
he wasn't harming anyone under the table....but the fact that i could see him and he could see me and i coulndn't see if he had something in his hands...like a GUN (considering that he had threatened to come back and shoot his girlfriend of whom he had just beat up), i couldn't just leave him be. so i wait and let him get away just to come back and harm the victim another time?

ideally, it would have been wise to wait for backup....but this is considered "exigent circumstances". i'm not the type to just stand by and wait...hard to un-train that response.

it's part of the job. could i risk letting him get back in the house to harm the victim again by just sitting in my car waiting? if it were you calling the police and you saw them pull up as the bad guy is trying to force open your back door would you want me to wait around for backup?
i'll take my chances and my family understands that

and as far as him going for my gun: if he can get it out of a triple-retention holster (3 different movements/safety releases must be made/deactivated before the gun will come out of the holster) before i get to my concealed backup gun....then there's something horribly wrong. i was able to keep him well away from my gun but he was reaching for it which helped to elevate the threat/response situation.

Yep, prevent measures. Good Job. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sheesh how come cops get all the respect and roofers just get complained to about hot tar smell. Last friday i had to fight this apprentice to go fetch me a 100 lb. roll of torch down up a flight of stairs to me. He told me to bring it up myself.... That's when the "a-hole" side of me which rarely gets shown here had to be brought front and center....

Yah!! So, all's i gotta say is Manimal may keep big dudes from beating on women, but i keep you all dry. Gimme my props dammit! :monkey:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
What reeks of tar? :think:

Skookum said:
Sheesh how come cops get all the respect and roofers just get complained to about hot tar smell. Last friday i had to fight this apprentice to go fetch me a 100 lb. roll of torch down up a flight of stairs to me. He told me to bring it up myself.... That's when the "a-hole" side of me which rarely gets shown here had to be brought front and center....

Yah!! So, all's i gotta say is Manimal may keep big dudes from beating on women, but i keep you all dry. Gimme my props dammit! :monkey: