Quantcast

Got meat?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I bet now-a-days it is a bit cheaper....but still a pretty penny. I read an article about how when food prices rise the price of lobster drops significantly because the demand goes down due to people cutting out luxury items. I bet the same goes for kobe beef.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Kobe "style"? Does that mean it's not even the real deal?

I've never had the real thing, but from what I've heard that is probably enough for 4-6 people. It's not like everyone at the table gets a two pound steak. So even though it's ridiculously expensive, it's perhaps not as bad as it looks.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've never had the real thing, but from what I've heard that is probably enough for 4-6 people. It's not like everyone at the table gets a two pound steak. So even though it's ridiculously expensive, it's perhaps not as bad as it looks.
1.88 pounds of beef? I could put that away after trimming the fat off.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
1.88 pounds of beef? I could put that away after trimming the fat off.
Yeah, yeah, you're a badass. :)

The point is not how much you or I could eat. The real stuff has like twice the fat of ordinary beef and is ordinarily eaten in smaller portions. A quick search suggests that for the really good stuff, a 2-3 oz serving portion is typical. So yeah, as much as I enjoy a 20 oz ribeye now and then, this is a different thing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah, yeah, you're a badass. :)

The point is not how much you or I could eat. The real stuff has like twice the fat of ordinary beef and is ordinarily eaten in smaller portions. A quick search suggests that for the really good stuff, a 2-3 oz serving portion is typical. So yeah, as much as I enjoy a 20 oz ribeye now and then, this is a different thing.
Bah! If it's THAT good (and someone else is paying) I'm putting down at LEAST 16oz.

:monkey:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
True Kobe beef comes from the Yagyu cow [Tajima-ushi breed,] which is only raised in Japan in few, strictly controlled farms.

There are strains of part-Yagyu cattle here and there, and they are raised in similar circumstances as their Japanese forebrethren. However, if it's not from the Yagyu, it's not Kobe, so it's Kobe-style or Kobe-like.

Any butcher that calls the xenoproduce 'true kobe' is just dealing under the table. I'm sure it could be good, but at these prices, why take the risk?

As for the Real Stuff - it's about $400 a pound around here [FedExed internationally].

Last edited:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I've always seen it as "wagyu" with a "w". Same thing?
hahahahahha

sorry....

yes, wagyu... Yagyu was a clan of samurai in 17th-century that became famous for it's school of swordsmanship...

sometimes i'm such a fool....:monkeydance:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
True Kobe beef comes from the Yagyu cow [Tajima-ushi breed,] which is only raised in Japan in few, strictly controlled farms.

There are strains of part-Yagyu cattle here and there, and they are raised in similar circumstances as their Japanese forebrethren. However, if it's not from the Yagyu, it's not Kobe, so it's Kobe-style or Kobe-like.

Any butcher that calls the xenoproduce 'true kobe' is just dealing under the table. I'm sure it could be good, but at these prices, why take the risk?

As for the Real Stuff - it's about $400 a pound around here [FedExed internationally].
isn't pusateris in Toronto by the st. Lawrence market?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
isn't pusateris in Toronto by the st. Lawrence market?
There's the central store in Yorkville, but they've opened one farther north at the intersection of Lawrence and Avenue Rd.

As it's a personal name, I'm sure that there are other stores with that name in the US...