Quantcast

Got my bike, need a hand!

legalize

Chimp
May 15, 2012
NYC
Hey everyone, I'm new to mountain biking and have just received my '09 Specialized Hardrock Disc... I bought it used, though it's pretty much mint. I was thinking I would for sure take it for a tune up, now I'm wondering if it's at all necessary as the chain appears to be pretty lubed (hands got dirty real quick :rolleyes: )

What my question is, I put on the front wheel and back wheel successfully from what I can tell. The gears work and the wheels spin :D .

My problem is the back wheel doesn't seem to be spinning completely straight, at one point during it's revolution touching the brake pads... The front wheel spins fairly straight but rubs as well.

Should I just leave it to the "pros" to fix my concerns and relube the hardware just in case or should I try and figure it out myself? I mean there can't be too many way to put on a wheel, so I doubt that is my problem. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Put the bike on the ground standing on the wheels. Loosen the quick release, and give the tire a quick shake, then tighten the quick release. That should set the wheel fully into the drop out. If that doesn't work, then the disc may be warped and need to be trued. If you don't know how to do that, then take it to a shop.

legalize

Chimp
May 15, 2012
NYC
Thanks for the reply! That worked for the front wheel, doesn't seem to rub anything now. The back wheel however seems pretty out of tune and although better, still rubs during a tiny portion of the rotation... But I can see quiet the "wiggle" compared to the front.

I completely forgot to mention the chain rubbing the front derailer in the middle and "big" gear... But I'll just have them take care of it when I bring the bike to the shop. This is already more trouble then I was hoping for, but you never know buying used and online.

Overall I'm happy though :D Is there an intro forum on here, couldn't seem to find one!

Thanks again.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
All it really sounds like is that it needs a tune up. Just a bunch of little adjustments, that if you don't know what you are doing could really screw up the bike. Have the bike shop look at it and they will give you an honest assessment of what it needs.

legalize

Chimp
May 15, 2012
NYC
Thanks, took it in today. They trued the back wheel I guess and adjusted the front derailer. Smooth sailing now for a whole 10 bucks!