Quantcast

Got my butt kicked!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I took my new SS on South Mountain in Phoenix saturday running 34:16. Very technical, very tiring. 6 miles in, and I was ready to be airlifted.

I love the gearing on the flats, but SS climbing may not be in my future...

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
What trail did you take? I'm in no condition to SS a lot of the stuff on SoMo, but I would ride around the system near the water tank off Desert Classic and it was pretty flat and do-able. Were you on your dual chain thing-a-mabob?

I saw someone out there yesterday wearing a RideMonkey jersey but didn't get a chance to say anything.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
macko said:
What trail did you take? I'm in no condition to SS a lot of the stuff on SoMo, but I would ride around the system near the water tank off Desert Classic and it was pretty flat and do-able. Were you on your dual chain thing-a-mabob?

I saw someone out there yesterday wearing a RideMonkey jersey but didn't get a chance to say anything.
Sadly, I was on the Desert Classic... I gotta stop drinking and smoking...

Yea, I got my dual drive dirty for the first time. It got some strange looks...

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
you talking abot your dual drive "a"? I can't imagine that its a good climber, try sliding a 18tooth in the rear.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
34x17 is what I've been running for a couple years. I care not about the flats, I just spin a llittle faster.

Of course, my SS bike weighs 35 lbs. on a good day. I have learned there is no shame in carrying my bike up some hills.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
stinkyboy said:
Therein lies the problem every SSer has. We all love to go fast on the flats, but we also need to be able to climb. The only solution I've found is a climbable gear and learning to spin the flats. For me the magic gearing is 32x17 for the local trails and 32x18 for areas with a bit more elevation gain.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
H8R said:
Of course, my SS bike weighs 35 lbs. on a good day. I have learned there is no shame in carrying my bike up some hills.
Holy crap! A 35 pound SS? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
BikeGeek said:
Therein lies the problem every SSer has. We all love to go fast on the flats, but we also need to be able to climb. The only solution I've found is a climbable gear and learning to spin the flats. For me the magic gearing is 32x17 for the local trails and 32x18 for areas with a bit more elevation gain.
32x18 or 32x17 is probably the ratio that ill run on my 1x1 when i get it. i ran 32x19 last season but i need to sack up and run a tougher ratio to keep myself in better shape. climbing on a singlespeed is an acquired skill. you learn to start pedaling hard before you actually start going up and also you learn to really use as much of your bike as you can to help you finish the climb. i cant wait to get a singlespeed again and racing on it is going to be a blast. although i do need to train a bit if i hope to come in the top 10 for the ss class seeing as how some of the guys who race ss are machines.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
macko said:

That was probably Peter6061, Douglas and myself doing a little riding after the 24 hours of Old Pueblo. :thumb:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I, em, run 32x20 for the NE tech.

There never seems to be a sustained flat and I'd rather make it up 80% of the climbs and spin out on the flats then kill my jambies trying to climb...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
stinkyboy said:
I took my new SS on South Mountain in Phoenix saturday running 34:16. Very technical, very tiring. 6 miles in, and I was ready to be airlifted.

I found when I lived out there that the ratio you're running 34-16 (~2.1:1) was great for the rollers. I would think Desert Classic would be fine with that ratio. Now, you start talking about going up National/Mormon, and I'd drop it down to a 2:1 or slightly lower.

Out here on the East Coast, I try to keep it about 2:1 but might drop it a tooth if heading up into the mountains. How's that dual drive handle trail? I rode Erik's original around the shop a year or so ago, and felt the difference, but I'm not sure I'd like that on the trail. Looking forward to a write up sometime.

I guess laying off the smokes would help too. And yeah, that was probably us you guys saw going up and down National. What a blast! Wish I still lived out there for that trail and Hawes. :thumb: :thumb:

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
For what it's worth I've been running 32-18 and doing a fair amount of climbing on Trail 100. I started with 32-16 which was great on flatter trails but ended up dropping it back a notch as the knees wouldn't support the climbs.

Desert Classic is a workout on the singlespeed, I made it end to end but I was pretty much toasted by the time I got back.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Heading to the LBS in a few minutes to pick up a couple Race Face 32 rings to put me at 2 to 1. I hope this does the trick, since buying 2 rings for each gear change is pricey.

:nopity:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I would run 32:17 on the DC and that was much more do-able, though there were several hills I just couldn't get up. That's just from my lack of ability, though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
Well, none of me walking up hill.

Here is the bike though. I had heavy-ass DH tires on it that I got super cheap, I'm running lighter 2.3's on it now.