Quantcast

got my cast off, but still dont feel right riding even with a brace.

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
if i try to ride it feels like my wrist is going to buckle on my even tho it hasnt, thats with wearing a brace. did anyone here break their wrist and were casted for 3 months before? how long did it take for you to get riding again after the cast was off

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
i havent been casted for 3 months but i had a cast on my leg for a month, it takes a while to get the strength back

i did physical therapy so that helped and i worked out, so thats probably the best advice i can give to you, it will get better, you just have to be patient

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Ouch. I feel you pain.

I sheared the end off the radius and was fixed up with a plate and eleven screws. I still don't know how my surgeon managed to fit it all in there...

If you haven't been taking calcium supplements, start doing so immediately. Bone-up is one of the better ones.

If you are not doing strengthening exercises with small weights, you'll want to do that. Rest your forearm on a bench, and using a small weight (no more than 8 lbs - for me it was 3-5 lbs) do high reps of something that looks like an inverse curl.

Work on supination (being able to rotate your wrist upwards like you're receiving small change) and pronation (rotating your wrist downward with your palm to the ground). These exercises brought me to tears after I got my cast off.

I wore a cast for 4 weeks, while taking every supplement I could find that would help me heal, drinking as little coffee as I could, and no alcohol. After getting the cast off, I had 8 weeks of re-hab and was in a brace. At week 6 of re-hab I was cleared to get on the road bike, but not the mountain bike: my surgeon wanted minimal vibration coming into the wrist.

I had my surgery on Feb 2, and was cleared to ride on May 4 (good thing, because I had mountain cross quals on May 5 - HA!). I wore a brace every time I rode until about late July. I got one that my glove would fit over.

The thing that got me cleared to ride was being able to show my surgeon that I had recovered over 96% of mobility and strength.

It's now been over 2 years, and I can do everything I could do before except a yoga or gymnastics backbend, where your wrist is hyperextended. I still have the hardware, and it will probably always be there.

Your keys to recovery are strengthening your bones and muscles, and regaining full mobility. You do this with what you eat, with stretching, and weight-bearing exercise. Push-ups are good, too.

I would wear a brace for several months, or until you feel confident that your strength and mobility are over 96%.

PS. Why were you in a cast for such a long time?

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
i broke the scaphoid which takes a while to heal because it doesnt get much blood flow compaired to other bones. i can believe you were in a cast for a month tho, thats amazing. maybe the radius heals faster than other bones.... but im not sure. nice to heal it healed up nice tho, i only have one screw left, the pins were removed.
thanks for the tips. im actualy not in pain, but have a hard time lifting things with my right wrist. so ill try the idea with the weight and resting the rest of the arm. thanks

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
I broke my arm/wrist about 5 weeks ago. I'm cutting the cast off tomorrow so I can use my bone stimulator and get an x-ray next week.

I had a broken femur for 5 months and couldn't put any weight on it until it was completely healed, so I'm sure I can somewhat relate. At first, I could hardly walk with out it collapsing under me, so I had physical therapy for another 2 months. It gets better, just takes a while. Do simple exercises with it like wrist curls, holding more and more weight each time.

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
Haven't broken my wrist but I have ripped a ligaments in both wrists. After rehab, I continued to use this to help with the range of motion and overall hand/wrist/forearm strength.

Here's a link to a decent price. I got mine at my local sporting goods for $13.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441779755&emssrcid=GoogleBase
how do you like it, and how does it work, i tore ligament with the break also, so i can relate to what you did. haha.