Quantcast

got my first concussion

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Tagged a tree with my bars at about 20-25 and flew head first into a tree about 10 feet away. Didn't get knocked out but my head was spinning and hurt quite a bit. I took off my helmet and oriented myself for a bit. Slight head ache that is almost entirely gone. Called the doc and they said to have some one wake me up every couple hours and that I should be fine being that I only displayed minor symptoms. All I have to say is thank god for my helmet, and that I didn't fly 2 feet farther causing me to foll another 5-6 feet off a drop.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Congratulations, you are now well on your way to the ever exciting world of brain injuries. It's a fun place, full of confusion, forgetfulness, and pretty colors. Although concussions are quite the ride, it is not recommended to acquire too many.

Buy a new helmet and try not to get your bell rung at least for a few months.

:thumb:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
You mean you're going to get stupider? Christ...
Yep :thumb:

Congratulations, you are now well on your way to the ever exciting world of brain injuries. It's a fun place, full of confusion, forgetfulness, and pretty colors. Although concussions are quite the ride, it is not recommended to acquire too many.

Buy a new helmet and try not to get your bell rung at least for a few months.

:thumb:
I'm thinking it's time for a DOT helmet from the moto store

i've had several smaller ones. but once, i was knocked out so hard, i don't remember anything earlier in the day leading up to the crash. out at the jumps i guess i jumped off my bike in midair because something must have gone wrong, because at least one dude watched as i went of the lip and then pushed my bike away. he shouted out "whoohoo!" and then proceeded to go back to the top of the roll in. they turned around at the top and i had still not come out from between the jumps. a few seconds later they decided to come see what was up...

when they get up to me, i am on the ground unconscious, somehow i had tripped over my bike and fell backward down the landing when this was all going on, and smashed the back of my head into the upcoming face of the next double.(the words of the only real witness; a 7 year old kid) i guess i was out for a few minutes before i started going into convulsions for the next 3-4 minutes with my eyes were rolling back in my head and i was choking. one of my friends had to call 911 immediately, he even had to leave so he could get signal on his phone. about 25 minutes later, i was eventually medivaced out of there...

i got the easy part, i don't remember anything except for waking up in the hospital about an hour and 45 minutes later. it's my friends who have the fvcked up memories of me, laying there wondering if i was going to die...

somehow, VERY luckily, i ended up with only a major concussion and a disoriented feeling for about 2 weeks. my helmet split up the back and the inside foam exploded. one of the doctors told me i would have most likely died if i weren't wearing a helmet...

it was hit or miss before then if i wore my helmet, i never ride without one now...

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
In all honesty, get a moto helmet. I took a lot of heavy hits in college and my memory is paying for it now. I'll probably have parkinson's when i get older from the number/type of hits. Be very conscientious of head injuries.

karpidisco

Chimp
Jun 19, 2005
ya i just got out of the hospital fell off a wallride and lacerated my spleen and kidney rang my head pretty good as well good thing i was wearing my tld. ****ty weekend huh

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
i've had several smaller ones. but once, i was knocked out so hard, i don't remember anything earlier in the day leading up to the crash.
WCH, I remember when you posted that crash on mtbr. Still gives me the heebie jeebies to read about that. Glad you're ok bro. :thumb:

My worst concussion came from a car accident. Don't remember anything up to, during or right after the accident (drunk t-boned us). Waking up in the hospital taped to a back board with a neckbrace and no memory is no bueno.

Definitely go the moto helmet route. Just a few weeks ago I was riding down a super steep local trail. Ended up cracking my head against a steep rock roller. So glad I had my 661 DOT on. Rung my bell, but it would have been way worse without it.

To the OP, heal up and glad you're ok!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I rode 9 very lame miles at China Camp yesterday. If I gone with TheMontashu, I could have taken off his helmet and given him permanent spinal cord damage.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I rode 9 very lame miles at China Camp yesterday. If I gone with TheMontashu, I could have taken off his helmet and given him permanent spinal cord damage.

<insert crash vid here>
Worst thing you can do in that situation is exactly what that kid did.

NEVER TAKE THE HELMET OFF IF YOU SUSPECT A HEAD INJURY!!! Wait for the medics to do it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Worst thing you can do in that situation is exactly what that kid did.

NEVER TAKE THE HELMET OFF IF YOU SUSPECT A HEAD INJURY!!! Wait for the medics to do it.
How can I punch TheMontashu in the face unless I take off his helmet?

He won't know. Remember: He has a concussion!