Quantcast

Got my GT IT-1

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
I just got my GT IT-1 (internal transmission) built up yesterday. So far i really like the bike. The suspension design feels much like my GT DH-i and it is very balanced with the front suspension. The bike comes stock with one of the best build kits i have ever seen on a production dh bike. With Saint cranks, Sun MTX wheels, Fox 40 up front and a DHX 5.0 on the rear, Hope 4 pistion brakes and various easton parts, the build is amazing for a bike that is supposed to retail for close to $500.
I have noticed that the jumps in the gear sizes my be a little too big for downhill racing, but i hear u are able to change some of the gearing. Other than that i believe this bike is fully capeable of downhill racing, even though it is being marketed as a freeride bike.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
the angles seem sort of wrong for racing. but have fun on the bike. and I agree the parts spec is amazing.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
i thought the angles would be far off for racing too but i was very suprised with how much the bike feels like my Dh-i, which has very racing oriented geometry. Same head angle and similar angles all around. The chinstays seem longer and the standover is much higher but thats about all that i have noticed so far. And yes i mean $5000

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
The IT-1 is shipped. A couple of them arrived in Norway two days ago, and I'm getting mine tomorrow. :)

I'll post pics throughout the weekend while building it.

There are some changes in geometry, so the angles now are more dh race than on the pre-production model.

They've also added some sort of cover around the gearbox housing, making it withstand mud and stuff a a bit more than the earlier models.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Cool!

Can't wait to come check it out. Save the box so I can ship out my bike to make room for my GT in 06.

Seriously though, we have to ride soon! Especially since I'm not going to NCCA nats.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
biker3 said:
He's legit boys. He rides for team GT/Full tilt. Its my boy chris shewmake. Good luck with that bike chris ill see you next season.

What happened to you getting the new carbon DHI or is that not gunna make 2006?

Ok I don't know the guy but he rides for GT.....so I would think there would be a conflict of interest....D

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
the pre-production model i tested earlier was 19kg with the kenda signature-snake-bite-guarantee tires (5-6 flats in one day). Changed those pretty quick, but didn't weigh it after that.

(no flats with the maxxis tires we put on btw)

The bike has huge amount of flex. It flex' 9 inches in the back, and 8 inches up front ;) The pedaling is like a RaceLink, and the chainstays didn't feel flexy at all.

The lenght of the chainstay has been pointed out several times...I can't say I noticed any issues with this while riding though, and having 4 friends with BMW racelinks here in Oslo (one of the bmw guys flew over to Norway personaly to say hello after the last guy placed his order) I'm pretty used to testriding similare chainstay/rearsuspension setups.

I'll post pictures within 24hours from now...but somebody might beat me to it, as these babies are starting to be shipped to their new owners.

MBUK is testing one in their next issue btw, but sad to say - this will be the pre-production model without the new geometry, hope breaks and all the final details.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
zedro said:
why do people keep comming up with this silly figure? And does no one actually bother looking up the geometry?

head angle: 66 deg.
seat angle: 71 deg.

bb height: 14.8"
chainstay: 17.75"
Hmmmm :think: :cool:

Rhino from Dec '04 said:
OK I finally found one of those simple angle finders ....what you would use on a head tube to see where your bike is sitting. So I decided to measure all sorts of stuff on my bike. Mind you it was late and I wasn't being super exact in my measurements. How do these compare to your rigs? Real #'s you took, not what crap the manufacturer puts on it's web site.

1999ish Rotec Pro DH
aka The Limo
BB height - 15 1/2"
Chain stay - 17 3/4"
TT - 26 1/2"
Wheel Base 48 1/4"
Stand over - 31"
Head Tube - 5"
Handlebar width - 28"
Stem length - 1 1/2"
Head angle - 66 degrees
Seat angle - 63-64 degrees (right in the middle-kinda)
Axle to crown on a 2003 Boxxer Race - 21 1/5" Very sketchy number
Same length rear end but different axle paths......
GT IT-1 has a lower BB....

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Let's make up a new term for chainstay length under sag so we can get an idea of how the bike really feels....
" the new GT's chainstayosity is 19"

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
neversummersnow said:
17.75 static.

Judging by the pivot that would mean 19 under full compression...but maybe I am wrong. Does I-Drive do anythign to isolate chainstay growth?
Not in a traditional sense. The BB to axle grows but the Drive sprocket to the Cassette doesn't (much) :D

I was corrected before so I thought I would spread the love. It is not an I-Drive design. The BB is static on the frame. The lower "chainstay" bar is there to stiff'n the rear end and actuate the shock. I always forget about that when looking at pics from the drive side and it being a GT FS bike.

Rhino

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
neversummersnow said:
17.75 static.

Judging by the pivot that would mean 19 under full compression...but maybe I am wrong. Does I-Drive do anythign to isolate chainstay growth?
and? bikes like the PDC rig or the BB7 will have more extension than this thing (BMW, F1 probably similar), but nobody makes it an issue as they are accepted as the high-pivot species. For some reason when this bike was introduced someone made a stink about it and it somehow became an issue in the collective internet psyche. Theres nothing special about the pivot placement, exept that i like it :D

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Yeah, the chainstay length and growth through the travel is just something you gotta deal with. Think of the stability of that bike at high speeds! Sure, it might be a chore in tight switchbacks, but in wide open/fast situations it would be a blast to ride.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
WheelieMan said:
Sure, it might be a chore in tight switchbacks, but in wide open/fast situations it would be a blast to ride.
with high pivot bikes you need to weight the front more in corners. The CS shortens up alot (from sag) and makes the bike not difficult to corner tight at all. I was quite surprised the first ride, but its a bit of a different technique to ride.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
zedro said:
with high pivot bikes you need to weight the front more in corners. The CS shortens up alot (from sag) and makes the bike not difficult to corner tight at all. I was quite surprised the first ride, but its a bit of a different technique to ride.
Yeah, I guess I haven't mastered that technique yet, and I've been riding a high-pivot for about a year!

Good stuff though, I really want to try one of those bikes. Very appealing to me.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Getting there...

The rearwheel assembly sure is something special, and the user manual points it out with this:

"Follow the disassembly order listed below for your own sanity. Belive me, it's easier this way."

Btw; the tires are now Kenda Nevegal. Anybody tried them?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Trigger said:
Getting there...

The rearwheel assembly sure is something special, and the user manual points it out with this:

"Follow the disassembly order listed below for your own sanity. Belive me, it's easier this way."

Btw; the tires are now Kenda Nevegal. Anybody tried them?
Nice! The Kenda's have been getting a good rep around Washington state. The sticky compound stuff.....I think. I am still stuck on Maxxis. :)