Quantcast

Got my new D2, Thanks Go-Ride!

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Decided to ditch the moto helmet as it didn't fit very well and I read a long article on how they may not be more protective then a regular MTB helmet. Anyway, heres the pics, no one probly cares but I love showing off, if anyone has pics of their D2, feel free to post em. always like seeing other peoples lids. Thanks go-ride for the quick and easy sale, and prompt shipping.

Later, Dan

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I read the article a while ago, I would have to do a ton of searching to find it but basically this is how it goes:

-Although the moto helmets have thicker and more padding, their shells are stiffer, which are more oriented for fast speed crashing which is not the case in MTB. Because the shell is stiffer, the helmet is less forgiving and bounces off of the rocks harder (rattling of the brain), as apposed to flexing and absorbing the hit. Also the weight is more makes crashes more prone to getting whiplash.

I realy need to find the article for it all to make sense, but basically you have got to look at what type of riding your doing. What the pros and cons are of each helmet and pick the one that best matches what you'll be doing.

Dan

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
great but now you can't scratch it. jkjk my friends buy expensive helmets and half the time don't even wear it because they are afraid of scratching it

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
rockymt21 said:
I read the article a while ago, I would have to do a ton of searching to find it but basically this is how it goes:

-Although the moto helmets have thicker and more padding, their shells are stiffer, which are more oriented for fast speed crashing which is not the case in MTB. Because the shell is stiffer, the helmet is less forgiving and bounces off of the rocks harder (rattling of the brain), as apposed to flexing and absorbing the hit. Also the weight is more makes crashes more prone to getting whiplash.

I realy need to find the article for it all to make sense, but basically you have got to look at what type of riding your doing. What the pros and cons are of each helmet and pick the one that best matches what you'll be doing.

Dan
interestingly enough...new moto helmets aren't as heavy as you think. i'm looking into an HJC (http://www.hjchelmets.com/acx3_carbon.htm) which weighs almost as much as that D2...less than a mad max II. The new Fox is around the same weight as well. I have a carbon D2 and comparing it to the new fox moto helmet, i couldnt notice a difference in weight at all.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I have the moto version of that color. Great helmet. Don't really want to get into the helmet article as my feelings can be shown in the fact that I wear a moto:thumb:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks for the props Rockymtn21.

I've read that helmet article a couple of times and reviewed some counter points on other random sources. It seems the overall view of the article is that Snell rated Motorcycle helmets are designed to withstand impacts that are at or beyond what a human body can live through. They basically say that studies have shown that at that great of an impact the other damage to the human body is mostly likely going to kill you.

So, you may think that at least my head will be safe. In the most extreme cases this may be true. But, what also may be true is that at lower impacts you may receive a brain injury because the helmet is too stiff and does not adequately absorb smaller (the great majority of) impacts. Ultimately the writer of the article is pushing Snell to make a new rating system that allows a helmet to be strong enough to be safe in extreme accidents and still soft enough to properly absorb the smaller impacts that make up 99% of crashes.

One thing I forgot to add to my reply about the helmet impact testing. It seems the most important feature of any helmet is fit. You want you helmet to fit as closely to the shape of your head as possible. The closer the impact foam is to your head the better it will absorb the energy of the impact without slamming your brain against the inside of your skull (concussion).

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
go-ride.com said:
Thanks for the props Rockymtn21.

I've read that helmet article a couple of times and reviewed some counter points on other random sources. It seems the overall view of the article is that Snell rated Motorcycle helmets are designed to withstand impacts that are at or beyond what a human body can live through. They basically say that studies have shown that at that great of an impact the other damage to the human body is mostly likely going to kill you.

So, you may think that at least my head will be safe. In the most extreme cases this may be true. But, what also may be true is that at lower impacts you may receive a brain injury because the helmet is too stiff and does not adequately absorb smaller (the great majority of) impacts. Ultimately the writer of the article is pushing Snell to make a new rating system that allows a helmet to be strong enough to be safe in extreme accidents and still soft enough to properly absorb the smaller impacts that make up 99% of crashes.
Thank you for clearing it up.

Dan

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Any have a link to the article, or a reference to the article? I really want to check the sources on it, see if there is any real science, or just conjecture....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I love my SE moto helmet. It's super comfy.
I plowed my head into concrete hard dirt on the last day of the season this year and my head felt fine.
Our friend had a near identical crash the year prior (as witnessed by the person following me) He was wearing a D2 and suffered a concusion.

What does this prove? Nothing really, but it makes me feel confident that my moto helmet isn't going to cause me MORE harm. ie, it can only help.

Now go drop your helmet on the ground to get the first scratch out of the way.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
nice helmet, and a good read on that article. I would like to see some more articles about it, and more specifically about biking, not motorcycling. I ride Moto Helmets, and broke one. I trust them, but would be very interested to read more on the subject

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
who has taken there helmet as carry-on and put it on as you taxi out to take off.

its super funny.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Is there any reason why you run your visor tilted up like that? I see alot of people run their visors that way, especially with D2s. You're losing at least 1/2 second over the course of a race because of the added drag! Other than that, looks good.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
WheelieMan said:
Is there any reason why you run your visor tilted up like that? I see alot of people run their visors that way, especially with D2s. You're losing at least 1/2 second over the course of a race because of the added drag! Other than that, looks good.
On the courses that I usually run i.e. east coast, steep, twisty, low speed, I need vision. Pushing the visor all the way up keeps it out of the way of my sight.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
WheelieMan said:
They wear it that way because it's cool. Don't let em BS you about vision. They just wanna be cool. :blah:

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Got some new Goggles from Utopia in the mail today! Just waiting on the yellow lenses, should look dope. Added a couple more skull stickers aswell.

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
bcd said:
who has taken there helmet as carry-on and put it on as you taxi out to take off.

its super funny.
Many airlines won't let you take your helmet as a carry on anymore. I guess it could be used as a bludgeon or something.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
rideagainst said:
Many airlines won't let you take your helmet as a carry on anymore. I guess it could be used as a bludgeon or something.
This summer going to Whistler the lady at SB airport let me take my camelpak on the plane without checking what was in the water thing, as well as with my helmet, but wouldn't let me take the bottle of Stan’s sealant that was in there:think: . I'm pretty sure most are still cool with it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
konabiker said:
This summer going to Whistler the lady at SB airport let me take my camelpak on the plane without checking what was in the water thing, as well as with my helmet, but wouldn't let me take the bottle of Stan’s sealant that was in there:think: . I'm pretty sure most are still cool with it.
I've taken my helmet on the plane before - no hassle.

BUT - any flammable products, like Stan's will be confiscated. Last year I had a brand new, unopen, bottle of stan's and a bottle of DOT fluid in my bike bag. While doing the bag inspections they confiscated both bottles - only realized once I got to Whistler and opened my bike bag. Which I would have know beforehand - would of left them at home :(

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Acadian said:
I've taken my helmet on the plane before - no hassle.

BUT - any flammable products, like Stan's will be confiscated. Last year I had a brand new, unopen, bottle of stan's and a bottle of DOT fluid in my bike bag. While doing the bag inspections they confiscated both bottles - only realized once I got to Whistler and opened my bike bag. Which I would have know beforehand - would of left them at home :(
taking them on board in case you needed to do some mid-air fixes to the planes brake lines or landing gear? :confused:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
One thing I forgot to add to my reply about the helmet impact testing. It seems the most important feature of any helmet is fit. You want you helmet to fit as closely to the shape of your head as possible. The closer the impact foam is to your head the better it will absorb the energy of the impact without slamming your brain against the inside of your skull (concussion).

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
go-ride.com said:

Yes sir it is, and wearing one no matter what kinda helmet it is, moto or bike, cause either one is better than none.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
go-ride.com said:
this couldnt be more true. i got to put mine to the test last sunday at fontana. i got a pretty nice concussion, but i think it would have been worse had i been wearing my full bravo carbon