Quantcast

Got my new Fly Rod tonight

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Got my new 9ft 5 weight 4 piece graphite fly rod tonight. Tossed on a 5wt weight forward floating line and did about 50 casts. OMG is this rod sweet, effortless, and accurate upwind and downwind, so balanced. My old rod is junk compared to this one. I can't wait to get it on the water

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nice, I plan to get one next week for our season up here. Some of the rivers are already chock full of salmon.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
So i got out onto the lake in my float tube today. Winds were variable from dead calm to up to 15mph gusts at times. Nice test of the new rod. I tossed wooly buggers and small poppers. as to me expected a 5wt rod and lime is not going to be good at long casts with winds. it was however very accurate on the shorter casts letting me thread the needle into pockets with reeds on either side.

another cool this was this was my first trip with my prescription polarized sunglasses. It was a hoot clearly watching a bass come up and hit my popper and dive back down with it hooked into his mouth.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got a fly rod setup while I was in Texas for work last week. Got out on the river on Monday and tried it out. I hooked into one salmon, but at first I thought it was a snag, so by the time I got my hand to the reel it had worked it's way off. I plan to refine my technique and methods though this year. So much better than flipping a casting rod though, as many people do on these rivers.
0125d4f8ea61454ae558017a951ef9d1cbba4fa91e.jpg