Quantcast

Got Myself A New Shop Toy...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
And I couldn’t be happier with it.
Bought a 15L ultrasonic cleaner, tried it out with a complete drivetrain today. I was amazed. Ten minutes of sonic vibration at 80 degrees Celsius, and ALL of the caked on grit and oil was GONE. I can’t believe I didn’t have one before in 30 years of shop- ratting.
Just using water and dish soap.
Super excellent purchase, anyone else have one?

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We have one at work and another guy put his stuff in it and it came out sparkling clean.

I've put parts like that ontop of my clothes dryer before with similar results, though it takes a lot longer...

I think the only problem is washing out all the lube from inside your chain. Takes a few lubings to get it nice and lubed again.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
True, but one reason that I did this was to try and experiment with a different lube on one of my bikes. I have been using Pro Link Gold for fifteen years (or home brew), but I find it cakes up a little bit.
Gonna try finish line dry Teflon lube for the summer on the Altitude.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Depends on the size of your rear cassette, as that is the hardest item to clean manually. My biggest cog is 51, so the tray needed to be 8-9” wide. That’s why I got the 15L.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
True, but one reason that I did this was to try and experiment with a different lube on one of my bikes. I have been using Pro Link Gold for fifteen years (or home brew), but I find it cakes up a little bit.
Gonna try finish line dry Teflon lube for the summer on the Altitude.
Dry lubes are a scam

Dumonde Tech Light FTW in dry conditions

I'd been thinking of trying a dry lube this year once I've used up my pro gold. I've been using it for a dozen+ years but want to try something that doesn't gunk up from the dry conditions I normally ride in now.

Squirt was going to be my first alternate as I've got tons of free samples from when I used to race...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I actually ordered some lite Dumonde Tech to try out instead.
It’s *apparently* lizard approved...
It's not quite as good in the mud-everywhere conditions as good ole goopy motor oil, but it's lightyears ahead of any dry lube.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does it accumulate grit/sludge as much as Pro Link Gold in dry conditions?
It's really "in between" a wet and dry lube in about all categories IMO. It stays pretty clean, but much of this is also lubing and cleaning excess lube, rather than the lube itself. It does well with some mud and occasional water, nothing works for repeated stream crossings and mud-fests other than heavy wet lube IME. It doesn't just disappear in 3 seconds like dry lubes do. You can get some pretty good mileage out if it, several rides usually, before reapplying. According to the marketing peeps back a few decades ago, it is a "polymer-based" lube, rather than oil or wax. I think I had some prolink recently, but I forget what kind. White bottle if I recall. I have some R&R extreme, which generally sucks, except for winter riding on snow in the cold, where everything pretty much works awesome. I have squirt, which is meh, a little better and sticks to the chain better, seems to last a bit longer as long as things don't get bad, but in the summer I only use these on commuters, as they are generally worthless to me for mtb.