Quantcast

Got the engagement ring...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks to all for the advice. Here's how it came out...

18k white gold, non-rhodium plated, cushion-cut blue sapphire with two small diamonds on either side. Design was inspired by Ikea and Volkswagen...things she really likes.

The flash from my little compact digi makes it look like there's all sorts of imperfections and irregularities in the metal and the stone; I can tell you there aren't...it looks incredible in person and I'm truly happy I went and got it done by this jewler in New Zealand. I might just have to propose in the airport now when I get home, since I'm armed and ready...

MD

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Looks great, Mike. I take it she didn't read the previous thread, then, as you had feared? Or don't you know yet?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Girl can't keep a secret to save her life. She literally vibrates once infused with secret information of any kind, and regurgitates it at the first available opportunity. She didn't talk to her parents about it, nor her co-workers, nor did she sound at all different or excited when I called her, so I'm 100% sure after talking to her myself that everything's OK. That is, until you brought it up again...

MD

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Congrats man, nice choice. Alot better chances she'll say yes with a ring like that than say if you offered her a Livestrong band. :)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
BigMike said:
So, what happens if she DOES read one of these threads?

:D
LOL, I think she'll continuously vibrate till MikeD drops to one knee in the airport. At that time, the vibrational frequency may just cause her to spontaneously combust, but more likely develop a worm hole into which MikeD and his chic will slip thru into a parallel universe and we'll never see them again until someone figures out the Super String Theory.

Edit: don't mean to jinx ya, but good luck and congrats.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Awsome ring! Very similar to the one I got my GF, you must have good taste! I really like the setting you chose. It not only shows off the stones very nicely but it's also very practical for everyday wear.

Congratulations!

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
SkaredShtles said:
Don't listen to Konabumm. He has proved himself time and time again to be the resident retard around here........ :p

-S.S.-

Geeeeez that's a little harsh........ I mean damn just because I like to fornicate with several women and tell everyone on RM how horrible it always seems to turn out.......... Does that really make me the resident retard.......

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Heh, had my days of fornicatin' with the masses. Lots of it. This wasn't a hard decision; it was the right time to do it, and I did it just like you'd go and get something to eat when you're hungry. Not romantic, I suppose, but true, and I know we're going to be happy together.

Being away from the US with something back home to miss is a first for me, and I can't wait to see her (and, frighteningly, the cats) again...I see this incredible place and just wish she was here along with me (at least when I'm not on the bike...that's my time, and she does her own thing while I ride...)

Now we'll get to live a life together travelling the world (assuming the DSS actually hires me one day soon...possibly July, more likely August), and it'll be great to have one person to share it with and build something more permenant than I've ever had before.

Thanks for the good wishes...I know she's gonna love the ring.

MD

Ed: Hmmm, just realized that the vibration, combined with a ring of power forged in New Zealand, might mean she's going to become the new Dark Lord when she gets that thing on her finger...I'll have to keep an ear out to see if she starts calling it "My Precious..." If she does, I'm calling Skookum in to handle the situation. He can lead a band of heroes down from SeaTac to help us get it off her finger.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
MikeD said:
Ed: Hmmm, just realized that the vibration, combined with a ring of power forged in New Zealand, might mean she's going to become the new Dark Lord when she gets that thing on her finger...I'll have to keep an ear out to see if she starts calling it "My Precious..." If she does, I'm calling Skookum in to handle the situation. He can lead a band of heroes down from SeaTac to help us get it off her finger.

You've been in NZ for to long. :blah:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD said:
i thought that happened every month without a ring anyways?....
oh i mean...
"Aye laddy, ye will have my axe!"