Quantcast

got the new pike...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Picked up the new Pike recently, the 150mm flavor and bolted it to the front of my Transition Bandit...Took it out for a ride last night and the travel is absolutely brilliant by far the smoothest fork I have ridden to date. But it wasn't all roses...

I am coming off of a revelation on this bike, last night i found the 'riding high in it's travel' thing was working a little to good. My front end is sitting a bit high and def not optimal. It doesn't help that my frame forced me to go from an internal zero stack HS to an external when using the tapered pike tube. I am sure it's too early but does anyone have any solution to 'spacing' them down like we have done with other air forks in the past? I really need to drop the front 10-15mm or so...

Last edited:

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
Honestly its prob the best feeling fork Ive ever felt. I used to be all about Marz for that smooth feeling but the pike reminds me of a massivly slimmed down monster t (weird fork to compare but ...) with a much better damper, and all that stiction-free buttery goodness remains.

Get it!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
other impressions on the fork? i'm toying with the idea of a new trail bike, and that baby is on the short list.
me too. the more I read about this thing, the more I'm questionning my choice of a 2014 36 Talas. The Talas isn't in the country yet, so I still have time to change my mind. the only thing keeping me from the Pike is the 15mm vs 20mm axle.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Picked up the new Pike recently, the 150mm flavor and bolted it to the front of my Transition Bandit...Took it out for a ride last night and the travel is absolutely brilliant by far the smoothest fork I have ridden to date. But it wasn't all roses...

I am coming off of a revelation on this bike, last night i found the 'riding high in it's travel' thing was working a little to good. My front end is sitting a bit high and def not optimal. It doesn't help that my frame forced me to go from an internal zero stack HS to an external when using the tapered pike tube. I am sure it's too early but does anyone have any solution to 'spacing' them down like we have done with other air forks in the past? I really need to drop the front 10-15mm or so...
Got your solution right here :D

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I've only been on a few trail rides with this but the new SR Suntour Durolux has been pretty nice:

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/index.php?screen=sh.detail&intendenduse=enduro&tnid=3740

It works right out of the box and is way smoother feeling than my TALAS 36. There are no incremental travel settings, you can set the travel ANYWHERE between 160mm and 120mm. So, if you need 135mm, go for it. The 20mm axel system is the best I have ever used too. Anyway, not saying it is better than the Pike since I haven't tried it yet but if you need a 20mm option to the TALAS then this would be a great option to consider.

I've never been a RS fan but I did look seriously at the Pike since I heard good things. In the end I had to pass because I just can't deal w/a 15mm axel for now.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Curious about the travel spacers as well. I'm interested in the 29er version but my frame is built for 140mm. My 2013 Talas has been a little disappointing.
You can get 29er version in 140mm or 150, so it should just be a spacer to switch the travel.

The damper does feel really good! Only time will tell on how the bladder system holds up, or if they start blowing up/leaking like older Fox 40's would.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Right after I posted I watched the little "press release" video and they mentioned the 29er comes in 140mm. I'll probably wait it out for a bit to see if there are any durability issues but so far all I've heard are good things.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Honestly its prob the best feeling fork Ive ever felt. I used to be all about Marz for that smooth feeling but the pike reminds me of a massivly slimmed down monster t (weird fork to compare but ...)
Like an old 1996 Z1?

somebody needs to copy that design, proper oil bath forks rule for real life use..

Who cares about weight when you can ride a fork for 4 years with zero maintenance.. oh wait, this is Ridemonkey isn't it?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I haven't had one apart yet but I'm hope full that whatever brings down the 160mm version to 150mm can be duplicated for 150mm to 140mm.

Also, don't forget about the spacers attached to the air top cap to change progression.

:spam:http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1365868/:spam:
I am hoping the same thing, 140 would really help. I know the fork really just dropped didnt expect much knowledge on making changes to it. I haven't had the time to bust into mine, maybe i'll give RS a call today and ask (crazy idea right).

Ok so which spacers are you talking about? How would you change them to drop travel?

To everyone asking about the ride of the fork, one thing that is noticeable right away is how stiff the chassis is on this fork, esp coming from the revelation. I used to be a hardcore 20mm fork guy but these 15mm systems are great and give us a lighter product. Like i said above the quality of the travel is fantastic, and the fork really does stay high in its travel on steeper stuff. I would like to really open it up on some faster rocky terrain though, my 3 rides since last week have been on east coastish singletrack.

Last edited:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Thinking about a Pike for my Bronson. The Float 34 has been as uninspiring as most Fox forks.
You have the current fox damper, or last year's?

My price on the fox is much less than the Pike, but I keep hearing good things about the pike so I am tempted...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i'm open to other options, but i've got one of the old pikes and love the thing.
Seriously recommend it. Only a few months on it but I love mine. Plush, somehow stays a bit higher in travel than older marzos and it's just the right amount of progressive.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
I am hoping the same thing, 140 would really help. I know the fork really just dropped didnt expect much knowledge on making changes to it. I haven't had the time to bust into mine, maybe i'll give RS a call today and ask (crazy idea right).

Ok so which spacers are you talking about? How would you change them to drop travel?
The spacers under the air top cap to change air volume. Has nothing to do with changing the forks travel...just thought I'd share. A cheap, easy, and efficient system.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
anyone able to compare the chassis stiffness of the Pike to the 34?

I think I've convinced myself that for the majority (probably 98%) of my riding, a 20mm axle won't make a difference, in which case the Pike or the 34 would be well worth it.

It seems that in Canada, the Pike won't be available in dual-position air for a while...

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
not sure how i feel about this
from what i understand, the new pike is in the 'middle' of their lineup and thats why they chose to go with a 15mm axle over a 20mm.. at least thats what i read.

my buddy has the old pike on his dj, and its the only thing he hasnt f'd up... yet. ;)
i wouldnt mind trying this new pup out, and im a fox 'fanboi'
anyone able to compare the chassis stiffness of the Pike to the 34?

I think I've convinced myself that for the majority (probably 98%) of my riding, a 20mm axle won't make a difference, in which case the Pike or the 34 would be well worth it.

It seems that in Canada, the Pike won't be available in dual-position air for a while...
i have a 15mm 32 fox fork on my dj that i ride a lot of single track trail and some street on.. the fork does flex, but not in the axle area, pretty impressed how stiff the 15mm system feels, since that was originally somewhat of a worry for me, my buddys old pike doesnt flex at all, granted he weighs less than i do, but it just feels more solid.. his cranks and rims areny so lucky though

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
The spacers under the air top cap to change air volume. Has nothing to do with changing the forks travel...just thought I'd share. A cheap, easy, and efficient system.
I haven't heard about this. That is a cool feature. I wish I could change the spring volume on my float.

ahem...back to pike
This is Ridemonkey. No thread shall stay on topic past the first page.

I recently saw some details on the new Marzocchi 35mm chassis. 650b only. Fvcking lemmings.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey Manhattan, did you ever get the chance to try the Slants?: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f2/xfusion-slant-34mm-650b-26-a-257551/

Wondering how those stack up against the Pikes and 34s...
So the slant was my first choice of fork when i saw they were being released. They seem to be a great fork for the $. That said they were IMPOSSIBLE to find, QBP kept moving delivery dates back, xfusion wouldnt give me a clear answer on availability...Right when i was talking to xfusion the pike was released and i gave up on that fork.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
seems like a pretty common refrain. Pike, 34, Slant. All released to much fanfare, none available. At least not in the flavour I favour: 26" and travel adjust. Pike won't be available till september, not too sure about 34, and no word on the Slant yet. Seems the 29 and 650 forks are being churned out first.

Oh well, nothing really wrong with my current fork, I was just hoping to sell it while it has a little life left in it. I may just run it for the rest of the season...

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I would love to hear if the lyric lowers can be used on the new Pike. Both are 35mm stanchions and that way we could keep using our 20mm wheels since all my bikes that see dirt have that size. Seems like it should work unless they changed the footnuts/rods around and you would give up the custom wall thickness they did with the Pike but I bet that is minute weight savings at best. Somebody try it!!!

Also, looks like travel adjust via spacers is only for the dual air version, not solo air.