Quantcast

Got the worst call today, car broken into in San Deigo....what to do?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
So 9:30 this morning the phone rings and my girlfriend's crying. I ask her WTF is wrong, and she said her mom's car got broken into and the car next to theirs. They had a trunk thing in the back and some target/walmart stuff so it wasn't like everything they brought down there with them got stolen, just the stuff they bought. I don't think her mom knows how to arm the car alarm (cough, women) but they heard nothing. The car's a 2003 GMC Envoy. By the way, this was on shelter pointe, the hotel near shelter island I guess.

So she calls the police, and they tell her they are too busy and just take a verbal report. What kind of crap is this? So 2 cars get broken into a 9 A.M and they're already too busy?!?!? That would have pushed me over the edge.

So my question is........what can they do when they get back into town? We/They are about 3hrs north of San Deigo. I guess the stuff stolen was maybe $200 worth of stuff (HAHA tide, cereal, womens $20 jeans, etc.....) but I know the window to replace will be some $$$. Probably enough to pay the deductible.

So what can I help them do when they get back here? Besides show her mom and her how to arm the alarm?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here in seattle the police won't come out to take a report unless you lost more than $1500 worth of stuff. so it's typical. and, uh, i don't know what you can do. get the window fixed, see if the damage is above the deductible. nothing fancy.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Spunger said:
So she calls the police, and they tell her they are too busy and just take a verbal report. What kind of crap is this? So 2 cars get broken into a 9 A.M and they're already too busy?!?!? That would have pushed me over the edge.

but I know the window to replace will be some $$$. Probably enough to pay the deductible.
Take a good look at the insurance policy. A few years back, I went out to my car one morning to find the driver's side window smashed, and the stereo missing. I called my insurance agent and had decent overall coverage that included glass coverage. They covered the window and a new CD deck (even though I couldn't find the original recipt) without a deducible of any kind. I just had to sign my name and choose where to get the work done. Just like your situation, the cops never came out. They took a statement over the phone and sent me a copy in the mail.

BTW: Theives are stupid. They took a $150 JVC deck out of the dash, but left $700 in golf clubs in the trunk. :rolleyes:

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
berkshire_rider said:
BTW: Theives are stupid. They took a $150 JVC deck out of the dash, but left $700 in golf clubs in the trunk. :rolleyes:
I never said they were smart. LOL well.....they didn't get much in this besides like I said, Tide, a chest, some womens $20 walmart/target jeans, and some other small items. Stupid asshats.

I wish when her mom gets here later today if I can see what/how the keyless entry works. I have a strange feeling that she is using it just as a keyless entry and never arms the alarm. I think you have to hit the button twice to honk the horn once to arm the alarm. It doesn't do much good now but atleast if she knows how to that might have helped. No point in paying for the alarm system and not use it right?

I thought she was going to call me and say her laptop and everything else got ripped off but thank god she keeps that stuff in the room. When talking to her I said that when you get the window fixed that her mom should tint the windows not only because it makes it harder to see in (the windows had a so-so factory tint) BUT when you break a window and it's got aftermarket tint the glass sticks to the tint making it harder to get into. I know glass will not shatter on a aftermarket tinted window.

Hopefully in the end all works out and what not. I never knew anyone of theft yet so this is all a first. Pretty ballsy breaking into such a new car but I guess the figured they would have never gotten anywhere in it due to onstar and GPS and all that.

It could have been worse....but thank god nothing else happened.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I had my car broken into at a park n ride in lake elsinore (my mistake for parking there) They split the window open and unlocked it. They got my stereo, $400 worth of camping gear, tic tacs, and some other stupid stuff. They also tore apart everything under the dash trying to hotwire it. Insurence covered everything but the stuff not installed (the camping gear) thankfully they left my $400 roofrack!

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Toshi said:
here in seattle the police won't come out to take a report unless you lost more than $1500 worth of stuff. so it's typical. and, uh, i don't know what you can do. get the window fixed, see if the damage is above the deductible. nothing fancy.
Seattle police are a lot better than most places. Like Spokane or Tacoma for example. SPD investigated my bike getting stolen to the point of finding out that the car the crooks were in was stolen as well, so at that point they gave up, which I don't blame them for. Our campus Security, on the other hand, blows. I wouldn't trust my cell phone to them; they would probably sell it on the black market if they had the chance.

Spunger - That sucks, I don't think there is a lot you can do, but I don't have a lot of experience with insurance. Just ask you agent what you can claim; I know Allstate is pretty good about that.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
spunger....that sucks man. sorry to hear it. but i guess that your eyes are now opened to the annoying world of unsolveable crime. if you ever get bored, google the SDPD's stats on the number of car break-ins on a daily basis. I'm in a city about 1/10 the size of SD and we have 20-50 on any given day....and that's just for cars.
people get all upset when CSI doesn't show up to their car break-in...but the truth is, that stuff you see on tv is just that...on tv. it doesn't work like that in the real world. even if we get fingerprints off of the vehicle, the person has to be a felon to even have his prints on file to match it up. it's hard explaining that to people who's worlds have been turned upside down by some thug. all i can offer is to do my best.....but most of the time, these smaller crimes go unpunished :angry:

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I hear ya guys, thank god it wasn't my car, LOL not much to take!

But I know, all that CSI stuff is T.V. I didn't expect them to do much but this wasn't the only car broken into. There was another next to it and I wanna say maybe another but I'm not sure. When I asked my girlfriend where her mom parked she said it was a structure that had 1 sign that said it was patroled by security but even the assistant manager knew it really wasn't. I guess whatever they took was sitting on the passenger seat in the rear. Glad that was all they got though.

It'd be nice to see what low-life tries to trade a Keith Urban CD, some Tide, some womens clothing for a fix. I imagine they stole it, got it to where they could look inside, and found this stuff and was like "crap". They went shopping at Target the night before and stuffed everything inside a trunk/case that they bought. There were bags of other stuff from old navy and other stores that were left alone so you knew it was a bash and grab.

Oh well. I'll have to see what it looks like today when they stop by. I'm just thankfull nothing else happened as it could have been worse.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I had my cars broken into 3 times in the last 3 years, the first time I called the police and it was essentially a waste time. I told him not to worry that i kept the .357 loaded with hollowpoints and that i was going to start sleeping in the car at night. I know that it was a couple of kids that tried everyones doors looking for one to be unlocked.

They patrolled our street and complex a little more often after that.

shouldnt the alarm arm when the doors are locked? I assume that the keyless is factory right? Chalk it up to a lessoned learned, it sucks you feel very violated. At least it wasnt a car jacking.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
unfortunately there isnt much you can do.. usually insurance does not cover glass unless you specifically ask for it . u need to just take it as a loss

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
its funny because shelter island isnt a bad area. my car was left in ocean beach when i was arrested and that place is sketchy. when i got my car back stuff was a mess inside but im not sure if thats cuza me or not. but my hood was popped so maybe the cop forgot to lock it