Quantcast

Got two months to get ready for Moab

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Any advice?

I'm 245#, and my endurance isn't what it should be. Well, then again, it is for someone who is 245. But not for some one who is going to go do four riding days in Moab.

Any thoughts on how to up my endurance? I'm back riding 10 miles in the dirt a day, I am still running every morning for 2 to 4 miles. But I need to hammer down.

Road bike? Sprints? Stair running? Glad bags full of blow?

Any suggestions, even the mean ones, are really welcome. Gotta get ready for Moab, love riding there.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I am pretty impressed with current training program I have for the RAAM,

I solely rely on my heart rate monitor rather than watts and using the road bike I can tune my workouts specifically for the zones/areas I need working on. I ride the MTB bikes for breaks in training and fun rides.

My diet has changed quite a bit as well

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
The age old question, how do I get in shape for something. I might actually be able to help with this.

First lets start with weight. I'm guessing you aren't 7 ft tall so it sounds like you're a little over weight so dieting will help. Even if you only lost 10 - 15lbs in the next two months it will be noticeable. Start eating better! Healthy meals lots of low cal snacks during the day to help curve hunger and drink water until you're pissing like crazy.

Second is endurance - IMO this will be even harder to accomplish but if you can dedicate the time then losing weight will happen easy. Endurance boils down to one thing... time on the bike. You just have to get out there and ride ride ride. You don't have to ride hard, you don't have to do intervals, you just need to ride alot. If you have a road bike then this will make it even easier - I find that alot of road mile will easily transfer over to mtb miles but not the other way around.

Time on the bike doesn't have to be all at once either. For me I will ride 1hr in the morning to work then 1 hour of riding a lunch followed up by a 2 hour ride home.

If you can do this for the next two month not only will the weight fly off of you but your average HR will lower and you endurance will increase.

Hope this helps.....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
4 days in Moab? Pfffft. Off the couch, pvssy. :homer:

Here was our 4-day Off The Couch November itinerary:

Day 1: Mega Steps -> Baby Steps -> EKG -> Klondike -> Mega Steps
Day 2: Mag 7 -> BD -> Portal
Day 3: Amasa Back -> Rockstacker -> Jackson's
Day 4: Zion Curtain on the way home

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
You're on Ridemonkey, so you must drink. Try giving it up for a month.

The afternoon of the 1st of January I was at 206.5. Yesterday I was at 195.5. I feel and look a lot less like a sausage.

No beer, no going back for seconds at dinner, generally more healthy meals, eating breakfast and lunch more regularly and sugar intake reduced. Nothing drastic except the no beer thing which is occasionally difficult but less so than I imagined. I still eat stuff I like, just less of it. What exercise I have been getting - it isn't as much as you say you've been doing - has to be helping also.

If your workouts are pretty regular it would be a good idea to mix them up a bit.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Ditch the morning running, ride the road bike. Keep riding the mtb in the afternoon.

If you're running with a hot chick, buy her road bike and play the drafting game after your run.

If there's no chick, idk why your running to begin with.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm with bean on this one, give up the beer and the fat will melt away. You can lose close to a pound a day by not pounding pints.

I hear meth has less calories, but you'll probably be without a bike and homeless by the time your Moab trip rolls around.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Well if I gave up beer for eight weeks then I'd be a cheap date in Moab, which is handy because booze up there is light weight and low viscosity.

I'm running because that's how I see the most weight loss normally. Biking I can still ride 20 miles as a fat **** and not see a lot of dropping.

I've dropped seven pounds this week just by changing the food. No more eating out, a lot less meat (the GF is a vegetarian, so it works out that I am pretty much a vegetarian) and I am eating a lot less than I am used to. Body is angry, but I can feel some difference with just seven. Mind you I'd like to be down to 190 by September or October, but we'll see what we can do.

Road biking in downtown Phoenix is a mixed bag of bad. I went out for a road ride a couple weeks ago, and it really felt like there was a target on my back. Had things thrown at me, had one redneck swerve at me. I don't mind having to use deadly force, but I'd rather not set my self up to have to use it.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I would think time on the bike is the most important thing. You can always climb at a slow pace. The last time I went to Moab way early season, i didn't do anything to prepare. I really paid for it doing Kokopelli to Porky rim. My wrists, neck and back hurt the most from all of the bumpy stuff on that ride. That beat the poop out of me. Legs were fine, but the hands and upper body just weren't ready for that abuse.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ride your bike more. Lift weights to burn fat. Do some core workouts - that will really help with lower back pain and other minor things that can make multiple days on the bike hellish. And if you want to shed weight, think about cutting down on the gluten (including beer). Might seem like a fad but it works. Drink whiskey instead.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ride your bike more. Lift weights to burn fat. Do some core workouts - that will really help with lower back pain and other minor things that can make multiple days on the bike hellish. And if you want to shed weight, think about cutting down on the gluten (including beer). Might seem like a fad but it works. Drink whiskey instead.
I think doubling up, easy rides in the morning, weight lifting in the evening, will make a difference.

My problem is I have been doing the easy ride just before the weight lifting. It really hurts.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Intervals, more bike riding, core stuff as other people have said you could also try cutting red meat, dairy, and gluten products out of your diet...as well as beer. I've heard that works really well. If you can't go all out I'm sure if you cut back on those things it would help a bit.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My GF's nutritionist has this cleanse she recommends. Two weeks, no sugar, no caffeine, low carbs. GF lost 10#, and is keeping it off. Not sure how I am going to feel without my morning sugar free redbull, but if I can get some of this 99th trimester weight off, that'd be rad.

Rode my normal 40 minute ride today in a little over 24. No stops, cranking hard the whole time. Mind you I am sucking on an Anchor Steam 22 right now, but that's only for medicinal/rehydration purposes.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've lost 55 pounds in the last year through diet and exercise. I discovered that no amount of exercise is too much, and being hungry all the time is highly underrated for weight loss. Remember, a grumbling stomach means you are losing weight.

Best of luck.

:monkey:

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
I've lost 55 pounds in the last year through diet and exercise. I discovered that no amount of exercise is too much, and being hungry all the time is highly underrated for weight loss. Remember, a grumbling stomach means you are losing weight.

Best of luck.

:monkey:
Holy Smokes 55 lbs !!
You gotta be Lean N Mean now.
Congrats.

I have given serious consideration to the possibility of the options to choose wisely and decide to make the better choices in regarding to the selection of exercise and meal decisions which are presented to me throughout the day ... and I'm fixing to change my view regarding such debatable yet healthy topics.

But ..I'm not quite there yet.
So 200+ feels quite normal.

As for Moab ... just don't hurt yourself with all this getting ready work.