Quantcast

Gotta stir the pot, Chris King outboard bottom brackets???

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok so does anyone know if Chris King has an outboard bottom bracket in development or planned for production? Call me insane but I think it would be the end all for BB's. Sure it wouldn’t last as long as a headset just due to the amount of elements/impacts it is subject to, but I wouldn’t mind shelling out $100 for a bb that would last me 5 years. Anyone have any input/opinions?

Something like this:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rolleyes:

It'll be out right after the 1.5" headset.

Chris King's development cycle is slower than Anna Nicole Smith's train of thought.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Phil Wood offers replacement bearings for XTR outboard cup bb's. There like $25 a piece, but if they hold up like other Phil Wood bearings, the money's worth it. That's about as close to CK bb as you'll get.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Chris King will come out with a production bottom bracket at exact point the world ends.

He is such a perfectionist that each time he has the design dialed, they change everything Square taper>ISIS, inboard>outboard.

I don't expect King to ever change in this respect and no one will stop and agree to an industry standard accepted enough for King to pusue it.

How many new products has King offered in the last three years? I'm guessing none

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Zark said:
Chris King will come out with a production bottom bracket at exact point the world ends.

He is such a perfectionist that each time he has the design dialed, they change everything Square taper>ISIS, inboard>outboard.

I don't expect King to ever change in this respect and no one will stop and agree to an industry standard accepted enough for King to pusue it.

How many new products has King offered in the last three years? I'm guessing none
I think the hat design may have changed. I could be wrong though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Zoso said:
Phil Wood offers replacement bearings for XTR outboard cup bb's. There like $25 a piece, but if they hold up like other Phil Wood bearings, the money's worth it. That's about as close to CK bb as you'll get.
My LBS said the same thing when I picked up my new Saints last week.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
when did the 20mm front hub come out?
I think it came out in 2001.

That's a long time without a new product :rolleyes:

edit: Oh, yeah, the 24mm Maverick hub. Not exactly a radical new product, and only for an extremely limited market. I wonder how big the inner diameter of the bearings are in the 20mm hub, and if he just slapped a couple new end caps in there?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Yeah, King really isn't a very good business man in that respect. If they made a TA rear hub they could have a signifigant chunk of that market. Instead, everyone who wants a top of the line hub buys a Hadley.
There was at least 5 years there where he could have been selling square tapered BBs hand over fist. He missed the boat.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Zoso said:
Now there's a death match I'd like to see... Phil Wood vs. Chris King.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I know they are slow as hell, but the outboard bearing is basically a headset...I mean they have to realize that this technology is going to be around for a while...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
wasn't king one of the founding fathers of ISIS? if he can't believe in his own stuff, i would consider it odd to see him jump aboard something else.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I know they are slow as hell, but the outboard bearing is basically a headset...I mean they have to realize that this technology is going to be around for a while...
Until Bike makers just start doing what should be done, larger diameter BB shells.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
Until Bike makers just start doing what should be done, larger diameter BB shells.
Remember FSA's MegaTech bottom brackets that they tried to push a couple/few years ago? Talk about a spectacular failure.

I think these external bearing bottom brackets are a pretty good solution to the problem.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
Remember FSA's MegaTech bottom brackets that they tried to push a couple/few years ago? Talk about a spectacular failure.

I think these external bearing bottom brackets are a pretty good solution to the problem.
It may have been a market failure but it could have been a good technical solution. If a solution can be found to make things easier on the bike manufacturer it just might get picked up.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
It may have been a market failure but it could have been a good technical solution.
I agree - I didn't mean the product was a failure in and of itself, just that it was never picked up.

As things get further along with the external bearing solution, the need might not be as strong for a larger BB. We'll see. I don't know what the failure rate with this new design is.

J

JRB

I've wanted to try this, but it seems impossible to get when I try.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I guess i really did stir the pot. I guess I just dont understand the business logic of a company with such a loyal following to not make atleast 1 more product they know people would fight over...

J

JRB

manhattanprjkt83 said:
I guess i really did stir the pot. I guess I just dont understand the business logic of a company with such a loyal following to not make atleast 1 more product they know people would fight over...
I don't think I understand, or agree, with King's practices. It seems to me that they are at capacity and drive productuction with costs. If they had capacity, they would try to do more. I do admire the fact that they seem so dedicated to quality. I think the hubs are overpriced, and require too much adjustment in the beginning for those that are not so in tune with mechanics. That, of course, is just my opinion.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:

LBS tells me they have had problems with the XTR, seems a good explaination why Paul makes replacements.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
loco said:
I don't think I understand, or agree, with King's practices. It seems to me that they are at capacity and drive productuction with costs. If they had capacity, they would try to do more. I do admire the fact that they seem so dedicated to quality. I think the hubs are overpriced, and require too much adjustment in the beginning for those that are not so in tune with mechanics. That, of course, is just my opinion.
Yeah i dont agree with their practices at all. One would think that if you are at capacity you would have means to increase the capacity and do so, its just smart business. I dont know if that is the case at Chris King, but in most instances that is what happens...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
LBS tells me they have had problems with the XTR, seems a good explaination why Paul makes replacements.
I heard that as well but I don't really factor that into the failure rate. The rate that the XTRs seem to be failing at seems to be higher than can be attributed to standard wear, seems more like bad bearings/design.

Wonder if there will be a quiet tweaking of the design?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
I heard that as well but I don't really factor that into the failure rate. The rate that the XTRs seem to be failing at seems to be higher than can be attributed to standard wear, seems more like bad bearings/design.

Yeah, my shop bought 10 sets of Phil Wood bearings. I was about to give the owner crap for buying something so esoteric, but then he told me he sold 8 since Interbike....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:

Just a personal observation but it seems that any external BB setup is going to be very sensitive to the alignment of the bearings. I wouldn't consider a MTB to be a very precise piece of equipment. I wonder if the XTR system is just more sensitive to such things and suffering from it.

J

JRB

Yeah - cup tolerances seem like they would cause trouble, but I don't think it's the frame so much as the cups.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
loco said:
Yeah - cup tolerances seem like they would cause trouble, but I don't think it's the frame so much as the cups.
I've wanted to try the Profile Evolution BB on my Toy. Granted, it's for bmx shells, but I'm sure a similar system could be made to work with the mtb shell. Of course at lease one side of the shell would have to be unthreaded..

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
But is a CK external bb really needed? Don't get me wrong, nothing's perfect, but has anyone had major external BB issues yet (Enough to justify a horribly expensive[in theory] alternative?) My XTs have a ton of miles on them and have yet to whimper...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
SilentJ said:
I've wanted to try the Profile Evolution BB on my Toy. Granted, it's for bmx shells, but I'm sure a similar system could be made to work with the mtb shell. Of course at lease one side of the shell would have to be unthreaded..
I wish these would come out already...

Supercross was working on a new set of cranks that are supposed to be half a pound lighter than traditional Profiles and twice as stiff as Shimano's Saint cranks.
http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/biz/article/0,15737,1068954,00.html

Code-named "Sinner", these are 100% tubular chromoly and have a lot less hardware than many of the traditional brands currently on the market. The BB bearings are also slightly larger than regular Euro BB bearings, but will still work on all frames with a Euro BB shell.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damn those look pretty sweet, I was wondering when someone was going to make a steel set like that, if for no other reason than to save a little weight over regular profiles, redlines, etc.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
OGRipper said:
Damn those look pretty sweet, I was wondering when someone was going to make a steel set like that, if for no other reason than to save a little weight over regular profiles, redlines, etc.
Yah, they weigh the same as Saints only they are twice as stiff.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
CK's website says they're developing an 'all new' ISIS bottom bracket.....They also say that their facing tool and reamer set is the best yet when I inquire, they say they don't have any to sell and won't in the foreseeable future. I guess they don't update their website very often bcz they make it sound like they're ready to ship.

I'd only buy a CK bottom bracket if it could somehow generate the opposite soundwave to cancel out the noisey CK rear hubs of those riding near me.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
In the meantime, I'm having pretty good luck with raceface external bottom brackets. I suspect the XT/XTR's are good bearings overall, but the Raceface BB's use larger diameter bearings and seem to hold up to abuse better.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The real solution is the widen the BB shell, ala Cannondale's Hollowgram. I think Specialized is going to use it for its 2007 carbon frames...

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
The real solution is the widen the BB shell, ala Cannondale's Hollowgram. I think Specialized is going to use it for its 2007 carbon frames...
I agree. I have had ISIS BBs with extra bearings, and they seem good. I don't recall which one. More bearing surface = less bearing load.