Quantcast

Gov. Ehrlich proposes $75,000 grant to MORE

sguhrofst8

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Columbia, MD
NotQuiteJdm said:
I wonder what they'll waste that on..
c'mon man, why do have to be so negative? Let's give them a chance.
on another note, 3 of the guys that work at that bike shop in columbia are buying p1 street bikes so maybe well have more to ride with in baltimore.
--z--

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
NotQuiteJdm said:
I wonder what they'll waste that on..

Wow that sounds negative. Maybe instead of hating you should get involved and see if you can help them spend it wisely.

Or are you just one of those guys that sits back, does nothing and complains about what other people do?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Just off the top of my head I think of several worthy projects to which MORE could apply such a grant...

- Help defray expenses for people to attend this year's IMBA 24 hrs of DC lobbying effort. MORE sent several people to the IMBA summit last year and I've heard nothing but positive reports from that.

- Procurement of materials and tools for the Conway Robinson State Forest project, MORE's first real foray into a legal freeriding area. This project continues and will ramp up again in the coming months.

- Subsidizing mountain biking clinics throughout the region to attract new people into the sport and to help promote awareness of mountain biking and access to trails in the region.

- Subsidizing ongoing and continuing trail maintenance at all MD/VA areas under MORE's care.

Remember folks, MORE is an all-volunteer organization. A grant like this would be a great benefit to all riders in the mid-Atlantic region. If you've ridden any stretch of singletrack in the MD or VA you've benefitted from what MORE has done.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
riderx said:
Probably a big party with booze and hookers for everyone who comes out for trail work. Too bad you won't be there.

I hear they're investing in a mini-dozer too; you know, to aid with stunt destruction. :rolleyes:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
DamienC said:
- Procurement of materials and tools for the Conway Robinson State Forest project, MORE's first real foray into a legal freeriding area. This project continues and will ramp up again in the coming months.
Since this is MD state funding, that particular project most likely cannot be funded with this pot of money (since it's in VA).

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
riderx said:
Since this is MD state funding, that particular project most likely cannot be funded with this pot of money (since it's in VA).
Ah right...small details like state borders. I forget about these things sometimes being from the left coast where one can drive in one direction for several hours and still be in the same state :D.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
... or taking another stab at whitetail... that would rock. no matter what gets done with it, that grant would be an amazing thing. :thumb:

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
Lol holy ****...wow 3 people that took that in a negitive way. If they put it towards whitetail Id LOVE that! Id probably try to get a job there but its up to the people that own the 4 resorts..which is not a good thing.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
NotQuiteJdm said:
Lol holy ****...wow 3 people that took that in a negitive way. If they put it towards whitetail Id LOVE that! Id probably try to get a job there but its up to the people that own the 4 resorts..which is not a good thing.
Speaking of which, Damien and I met with MORE at Conway to talk about the FR/DH thing there and in the Shed. They're totally into it.

One MORE guy has this idea for Whitetail, which I'll run by y'all:

There is new ownership and they've expressed some interest to MORE in re-opening to chairlift-accessed MTB. The problem is financial viability. The MORE guy suggests that an interest-bearing escrow account be set up. Each potential season pass holder would put $100-200 into the account. Multiplied by 200 riders, that's 20-40k. This amount demonstrates to Whitetail that we're serious about supporting them. If the resort says ok and opens to MTB then the acct funds are released to Whitetail and each donor gets their money credited toward a season pass. If Whitetail doesn't go for it you get all your money back, less interest (which would go toward the charities of our choice). I know it sounds like a Nigerian prince's uncle's cousin's scam to get the Village People to play in Lagos but I think that too sounds cool. :thumb: Anyway all the trails from 2000 are apparently still there...and they're darn tootin good.

Well that's the idea. Good? Personally I think my 2005 Diablo season pass is a steal at $220, compared to my $10,000 worth of overpriced motorless bicycles.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
Would it really take that much money start it up again? If it reopened I'd like to see some stunts and jumps!They'd have my $$$ now only 199 more to go. how would you get the word out though? Not everyone has the internet (yikes!)

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
corey_dcstreet said:
... or taking another stab at whitetail... that would rock. no matter what gets done with it, that grant would be an amazing thing. :thumb:
Whitetail is in PA. See above comments. I doubt our Gov. will allow MORE to spend MD grant money up there.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
riderx said:
Whitetail is in PA. See above comments. I doubt our Gov. will allow MORE to spend MD grant money up there.
Fill up one pot, free up the others.

Regardless of MORE's solvency, their idea about the escrow acct for Whitetail involvves our money, not MORE's.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Stiff said:
Regardless of MORE's solvency, their idea about the escrow acct for Whitetail involvves our money, not MORE's.
I agree, I think the escrow acct. idea is a winner for the Whitetail owners and those who want to ride it.

I would highly suggest getting some PA groups involved to boost the numbers of people signing up if this goes forward. These guys can probably help:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/yorkareamountainbikers/