Quantcast

GPS and Privacy

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Reading this story framed as a "Great news, we will rescue you" reveled an interesting development.
So turning off your GPS on the phone to stop apps tracking you for privacy, well the government has a work around so they can always track your phone.

GPS emergency 111 emergency caller location tracker a 'game changer'

It was this lil quote that raised my attention.

The new system uses GPS services on smartphones - even if these are turned off
So obviously they have a hack for all the popular phone operating systems (including apple soon going by the report) to bypass some security features.

And then...
The new system did not need a warrant, or the caller's consent, so Privacy Commissioner John Edwards had to amend privacy rules to allow it.
Sorry, you what without consulting the public?

Police minister Paula Bennett said the system would not be vulnerable to abuse by police in tracking criminals or those wanted on warrants to arrest as it was only triggered when people called 111 - the location is wiped after 25 seconds while all data is deleted within an hour.
Ahh the 111 system (NZ's 911) is manned by the police..........

Maybe it's just me but this seems ripe for future abuse by authorities.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I stopped caring because theres nothing we can do about this and i dont want to give up my iphone.
I know its wrong and very Orwellian/distopian, but i dont plan on reproducing and i stopped giving a fuck about mankind as a whole.

They can track me wherever the fuck they want if that makes them happy. I just hope im dead before the real shit hits the fan.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
davew....just look up at the sky and wave to them while you are pulling the ole taffy....the eye of sauron sees all....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am pretty sure I do not do anything worth tracking, no murdering, minimal money laundering and moderate drug abuse are not worth the expense of analyzing my 2 cell phones and satellite watch.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Then there's your car's GPS, traffic cameras that can track you, microwaves, etc...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Coincidentally, thanks to wireless E911, yesterday morning while my parents were on vacation near Gettysburg when my father experienced a Type A dissection of the aorta and my mother called 911 they were able to quickly locate them even though they had no familiarity with the area. He was airlifted and is expected to recover.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yes, AGPS was mandated by E911 so around 95% of all cellphones a decade ago were equipped regardless of other cellphone features and can locate you within a minimum of 300m - and some do work in standby mode. This is not a new development

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_9-1-1#Wireless_enhanced_911

http://gpsworld.com/innovation-assisted-gps-a-low-infrastructure-approach/
That would be in my areas of expertise.

Not that we used to use such technology 15+ years ago to see if our boss was truly "working from home" or hanging out in his parents garden.

@DaveW NZ is very progressive with their 911 tech

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Coincidentally, thanks to wireless E911, yesterday morning while my parents were on vacation near Gettysburg when my father experienced a Type A dissection of the aorta and my mother called 911 they were able to quickly locate them even though they had no familiarity with the area. He was airlifted and is expected to recover.
sorry this happened to your dad. glad it seems he'll be OK.

this is exactly the kind of scenario it is intended for.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
sorry this happened to your dad. glad it seems he'll be OK.

this is exactly the kind of scenario it is intended for.
Thanks. Emergencies are not the time for troubleshooting manual location solutions. Given the severity, even people familiar with an area might not handle a life and death situation with the speed required.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fuuuuuck......get well soon syadastis pops....

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
What did he do to piss your mom off so much that she "slashed" him?
:butcher::help:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Only to a degree though. Nowhere near the same level as a gps equipped one.

Triangulation's a bitch though, I agree.
But it's been about a decade since you could buy cellphones without AGPS, so that's moot point.