Quantcast

GPS- bluetooth?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Are the car GPS systems with bluetooth worth the extra bucks? I've got a cheapo bluetooth headset that came with my cell, and it sucks ace.

Can I assume that bluetooth just isn't all that great? It would be kinda handy if it did work though. I'll be spending a lot of time in traffic in the new year, and I bet I'll be on the phone an awful lot on the way home from work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Your cheapo bluetooth headset sucks because it's a cheapo headset, not because it uses bluetooth to transmit data ;)

When you say, GPS system with bluetooth... you mean buying a car with an integrated one? If you mean a stand alone, what's are you using the bluetooth for? To transmit to your headset?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm shopping around for something like a Garmin Nuvi. As I understand it, some of them come with bluetooth, so you can operate your cell phone through it. Seems like a cool feature, but I'm wondering if it works.

(I'm assuming my Plantronics bluetooth headset is a cheapo. It came free with my phone. It sucks)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Didn't know any of the stand alone devices would interface with your phone.

I'd probably bag that functionality and stick with a simple device, but that's just me. I look at it as operating my phone with something that is both larger and more awkward to use than the actual phone itself ;)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So, given that we're headed to Vancouver in a couple weeks to find somewhere to live, Christmas came early this year!

We picked this up for $349 ($200 off!)
http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=383&Category=0&Lid=22

It's pretty nifty! Haven't spent too much time fiddling with it yet, but it's good all the bells and whistles I've heard about.

Bluetooth: Won't work with my cellphone, so kind of useless.
FM-Transmitter: We can load the thing up with music (2GB on board, with an SD slot for more), and listen to music through the car stereo. The music gets muted when an instruction is announced by the system. Kinda cool, but it doesn't seem to work all that well. Lots of hissing. Annoying.

Having used the words "useless" and "annoying" in this post, kinda makes me wonder if it was worth the extra $50 bones over the one without the extra bells and whistles.

(Note the guy in the demo videos is driving an A4 wagon...:drool:)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So, I finally got around to installing the software for my Tomtom last night. I was asked which model of Tomtom I had, then prompted to download the latest version of the software. I proceeded and everything updated, then I disconnected the unit.

It "thought" for a second or two and then froze with a pictogram of the unit and a big red X on the screen. Tried resetting it, didn't work either.

After a couple tries, an error code popped up on the screen. I googled it and discovered that the software they promted me to download wasn't compatible with my unit. The fix was to format the unit, plug it back in, and the software and maps would default to the original settings. Tried this once, and it didn't work. F-that.

I might have been able to fix it with a bit more fooling around, but I need this thing working for the weekend, so I returned it.

Got the Tomtom One XL instead. It's $100 bucks cheaper, and doesn't have all the useless bells and whistles. We'll see how it works. If it sucks too, I'll aim for an after-Christmas sale Garmin Nuvi and see how that goes...

The more things you own, the more sh!t you've got to screw around with to fix. I'm slowly learning this lesson.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yo, what does the one xl not have? Thinking of that for the car for xmas.
No bluetooth (big deal, only compatible with a handful of phones, but maybe yours, I can't seem to find the list again. you'd think it would be easier to find dammit...)

No FM-transmitter (again, big deal. It didn't work very well at all in my car)

No text to speech (I had it on the GO 720, but never enabled it, I won't miss it, but the One XL-S has it for another $50 or so)

I don't think it allows for map corrections, but not 100% sure

Essentially, the One XL has the same size screen, (altough reviewers say it isn't quite as bright) and it provides voice prompt directions. Which is all I needed. I can put the $100 I've saved toward something else. Like new tires for my DH...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The bluetooth in Garmin units works pretty well but the call quality won't be as good as a high-end standalone bluetooth headset (you'll look like a dork with a headset though). The bluetooth in the Garmin can pull contacts off a bluetooth phone supporting that feature which is pretty cool - look up and call people right from the GPS touchscreen.

TomTom's bluetooth handfree calling works with almost all phones the only feature thats more tricky is their Plus data services (for traffic and other info over the internet - it replaces the optional traffic receiver you can buy for the device). Tomtom hasn't tested many phones and they only list the ones on the website they have tested. They don't list any Verizon phones for the 720 but I know for a fact that works with plus services as I help a user setup his a few months ago.

The 720 Go is their next generation unit - much better screen, new CPU etc... Its one of the fastest, best balanced aftermarket GPS on the market. Its worth the small premium - best bang for buck out there.

Its the first unit TomTom has sold that gives Garmin a run for their money. Garmin are more user friendly/easy to use. They use different sources for their mapping data and depending on where you live, one might be better than the other. The 720 is the only GPS allowing users an easy way to update and share maps on their own.

Garmin's customer support is hard to beat. They gave free map upgrades to all GPS owners - the 2008 update was free - most GPS vendors charge for map updates. TomTom is notorious for having a horrible mounting setup on some models. My suction cup on my Garmin had a materials issue and they sent me a new one free. I also had play on my mount receiver and they swapped me out for a whole new GPS for free.

The best option mount option for GPS isn't the window or dash mount but a beanbag mount - Garmin makes a fancy one or you can get a universal unit that works with any GPS with a suction cup mount (Garmin, Tomtom, etc...):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8417055&type=product&id=1181832025409

A great site for more info here:

http://www.gpsreview.net/

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
TomTom's bluetooth handfree calling works with almost all phones the only feature thats more tricky is their Plus data services...
Well, there was a list of compatible phone models on their site, but I can't seem to find it. (No search feature on the site...blahst!)

If memory serves, there were 4 or 5 Motorola phones and 4 or 5 Sony Ericsson phones listed. Mine's a Samsung and didn't work. I tried mating them, but it wouldn't detect my phone.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well, there was a list of compatible phone models on their site, but I can't seem to find it. (No search feature on the site...blahst!)

If memory serves, there were 4 or 5 Motorola phones and 4 or 5 Sony Ericsson phones listed. Mine's a Samsung and didn't work. I tried mating them, but it wouldn't detect my phone.
As I said they haven't tested many phones (well when I was checking). If its not listed it just means your are on your own to figure out the settings. Its not too hard to get the hands-free figured out but their Plus services takes some more tweaking to setup a custom Bluetooth DUN profile in the TomTom. Verizon wouldn't give the info needed but Googling various things I figured it out (also helps to check GPS forums but the 720 was new at that time and nobody had setup info for Verzion yet). Also on Verizon you needed to purchase a Internet tethering plan for $15 for the Plus services - they disable the feature even though the phone has Internet access otherwise - greedy bastards:disgust1:

Here is 720 Plus bluetooth setup information with a Verizon phone with the $15 tethering plan:

If your phone number was for example 721 312 3213

Setup info would be:

username: 7213123213@vzw.com
password: vzw
dial: #777

everything else blank

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
As I said they haven't tested many phones (well when I was checking). If its not listed it just means your are on your own to figure out the settings. Its not too hard to get the hands-free figured out but their Plus services takes some more tweaking to setup a custom Bluetooth DUN profile in the TomTom. Verizon wouldn't give the info needed but Googling various things I figured it out (also helps to check GPS forums but the 720 was new at that time and nobody had setup info for Verzion yet). Also on Verizon you needed to purchase a Internet tethering plan for $15 for the Plus services - they disable the feature even though the phone has Internet access otherwise - greedy bastards:disgust1:
Just seems they ought to know about the compatibility of their product with others before they brag about some new function. Regardless of brand. For me to buy it, then find out it doesn't work...that should get me $20 off my purchase to pay for the gas I have to burn driving around returning their "too quick to market" product.

I am irked.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just seems they ought to know about the compatibility of their product with others before they brag about some new function. Regardless of brand. For me to buy it, then find out it doesn't work...that should get me $20 off my purchase to pay for the gas I have to burn driving around returning their "too quick to market" product.

I am irked.
There are dozens of phones, various phone firmware revisions(the bluetooth stack may differ), and many providers. That makes tons possible combinations - it would cost them too much money to test all of them and the GPS firmware itself may change the bluetooth stack from revision to revision. You are right, their website and compatibility info is pretty bad. Using the right settings, your phone might have worked. Bluetooth devices can be temperamental - might take a few tries and definitely needs the right settings (discoverable, etc...)

As I said, TomTom has more features but isn't as easy to use.