Quantcast

GPS for dummies

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So, I want to buy Sq-Earl a good GPS unit for his birthday in February. I have been looking at the Garmin units and I wondered what you other techno-monkeys are using. He would use it to map out (hopefully on topo maps) our rides, hikes, etc. Primarily mountain bike and snowmobile rides. Also, which map programs do you use with your unit?

Thanks for the help!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have the Garmin Etrex. I got it because it was water and shock resistant. Having only an internal antennae I have problems picking up satelites in thick woods, right where I want to use it. Suprisingly enough I broke it from a 3 ft drop to padded carpet. Sigh.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I have the etrex vista... now it comes in color which i strongly suggest getting.. very easy to use, good battery life ... and u can buy a bike mount!!!

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I have a magellan meridian gold unit and it works real well for me. I never have any problem with signal acquisition in the woods on my bike rides, its h2o proof, and has a slot for expandable memory on SD cards. I think internally it has 16mb, but could be 8, not sure

I also have DeLorme Topo v5 for my mapping, its awesome. You can create routes and upload waypoints directly to the GPS and view the terrain in 3D. If you have a laptop you can also do real time navigation in your car. The only thing it doesnt do is upload roads to your GPS map, you need a manufacturer (Garmin or Magellan) program for that. They only come with the basic roads,;main streets, interstates, etc. You can check out geocaching.com and get a coupon code to pick up the full US version for $60 (normally $100)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Westy said:
I have the Garmin Etrex. I got it because it was water and shock resistant. Having only an internal antennae I have problems picking up satelites in thick woods, right where I want to use it. Suprisingly enough I broke it from a 3 ft drop to padded carpet. Sigh.
I initially looked at the Etrex, but it didn't have any internal memory and I think he might find that useful.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
geargrrl said:
this book might be good to go with it. I just got it, but havne't gone through it yet. It talks about ALL the different software out there, does comparisons, pros and cons of each kind and lots of tips for making maps in the different programs.

http://www.makeyourownmaps.com/

Looks like a good book....must add that to b-day gift as well (and a handlebar mount -- we already have a ton of NiMH batteries and a car charger for them from our digital cameras).

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
TreeSaw said:
Looks like a good book....must add that to b-day gift as well (and a handlebar mount -- we already have a ton of NiMH batteries and a car charger for them from our digital cameras).
I was looking into getting a handlebar mount but heard that the jarring ride through the woods can kill a GPS unit. I usually just keep mine on the back of my hydropack; while its a bit inconvienent if Im geocaching, its worth not having a busted up unit. I just set a waypoint at each turn Im supposed to take and the alarm goes off if I have to turn off the main trail.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I finally started going through the book last night. For each type of software out there, it goes over pros/cons in a very detailed fashion: cost, whether maps come on CD or connect to web for download, 3D capabilities, printing map options, upload/download information, learning curve, ariel photo access, and lots more. It also goes into which programs are geared more to what, for example if you are into geocaching, or want to work with GIS, etc.

hth

geargrrl

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
I'm about to get a Garmin GPSMAP 60C from GPSCentral.ca. Few peoples I know (*cough* Jozz *cough*) around here use either the 60CS or the older 76 series. On the software side, the canadian version of the Garmin topo software is doing the job for me. This unit can have the external antenna but the base unit does a really good job of mapping trails so far ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
HypNoTic said:
I'm about to get a Garmin GPSMAP 60C from GPSCentral.ca. Few peoples I know (*cough* Jozz *cough*) around here use either the 60CS or the older 76 series. On the software side, the canadian version of the Garmin topo software is doing the job for me. This unit can have the external antenna but the base unit does a really good job of mapping trails so far ;)
Hey there stranger! Thanks for the tip. I believe I will be going with a Garmin unit too. Just have to find the one I want for the price I want and make the purchase. Sq-Earl's birthday isn't until the beginning of February, but the baby is due right before then and I want to have it all set ahead of time. :D

Nathan Cloud

Chimp
Jun 27, 2005
Burlington, CT
I am a little late to the party, but I figure I would still chime in :)

The ETrex Legend is a good bet. Solid unit going for a good price. If you are feeling a little more adventurous, check out the new Magellan explorist 210 - looks like a real nice unit for around $150.

So, I have collected 6 loaner gps units for my website, maybe this will be of use to someone?:

1 Garmin Rino 110: GPS and walkie talkie in one. Kind of neat I guess. Unit does a nice job, interface is a bit confusing though. I fear I am going to destroy it soon - though it is hanging in there.

1 Magellan Map 330x: Older magellan, 32 megs memory, can load streets onto it. Probably gets the best reception.

2 Garmin GPS 12's: Solid units, tough, does the job nicely. Weakest reception under heavy canopies though. Picked up my last one on ebay for about $25.

2 Eagle Explorers: Old school beasts. About the size and weight of a brick. They do the job, but they are monsters.

For software, Topofusion is easliy the best option for mountain bikers - though expertgps is really good as well, especially for its gps to pc interface dialogue. Honestly, I use expertgps to upload and download from and to my gps and then I play with the data in Topofusion.

Lastly, I ride with my GPS in the mesh of my camelback, works great. Having it on the bars would drive me crazy. One fella rides with his hooked to the chest strap of his camelback.

Damn, that was lots of words, yet little content. This is what I do. Good luck!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Nathan Cloud said:
I am a little late to the party, but I figure I would still chime in :)

The ETrex Legend is a good bet. Solid unit going for a good price. If you are feeling a little more adventurous, check out the new Magellan explorist 210 - looks like a real nice unit for around $150.

So, I have collected 6 loaner gps units for my website, maybe this will be of use to someone?:

1 Garmin Rino 110: GPS and walkie talkie in one. Kind of neat I guess. Unit does a nice job, interface is a bit confusing though. I fear I am going to destroy it soon - though it is hanging in there.

1 Magellan Map 330x: Older magellan, 32 megs memory, can load streets onto it. Probably gets the best reception.

2 Garmin GPS 12's: Solid units, tough, does the job nicely. Weakest reception under heavy canopies though. Picked up my last one on ebay for about $25.

2 Eagle Explorers: Old school beasts. About the size and weight of a brick. They do the job, but they are monsters.

For software, Topofusion is easliy the best option for mountain bikers - though expertgps is really good as well, especially for its gps to pc interface dialogue. Honestly, I use expertgps to upload and download from and to my gps and then I play with the data in Topofusion.

Lastly, I ride with my GPS in the mesh of my camelback, works great. Having it on the bars would drive me crazy. One fella rides with his hooked to the chest strap of his camelback.

Damn, that was lots of words, yet little content. This is what I do. Good luck!
Not too late at all...still haven't made the purchase ;) Thanks for the input!!!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I use the Garmin GPSMap 60CS.

Waterproof, plenty of memory (56mb), and foremost, and internal yet external antenna, I rarely lose the signal even in thick tree coverage. Its got an external plug for and extra antenna but not nescessary imho.

What I suggest:

Garmin
Color screen
Waterproof
Good antenna
Minimum 24mb memory.

That should narrow your choice!! :)

BTW It is possible to upload your GPS track to google earth for a pretty neat result! :cool:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jozz said:
I use the Garmin GPSMap 60CS.

Waterproof, plenty of memory (56mb), and foremost, and internal yet external antenna, I rarely lose the signal even in thick tree coverage. Its got an external plug for and extra antenna but not nescessary imho.

What I suggest:

Garmin
Color screen
Waterproof
Good antenna
Minimum 24mb memory.

That should narrow your choice!! :)

BTW It is possible to upload your GPS track to google earth for a pretty neat result! :cool:
Hi Jozz!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Echo said:
Damn you anyway TreeSaw. Now you have me thinking about getting one. :mumble:
LOL! I thought he might enjoy it. I am currently debating between the Garmin Legend and the Vista. I'll let you know which I decide on and how he likes it. I am even considering having a b-day party for him but that will depend on the whole baby situation.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I have a magellan explorist 200 that i had for christmas time, its a good machine but you cannot download maps into it...its has served me well for not getting lost.

If you plan on getting a gps with the possibility of downloading maps into it I would suggest going with a garmin, the garmin maps are lot more complete than the magellan's.