Quantcast

GPS Issues - Samsung phone

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is anyone else with a Samsung S9 or similar phone having issues with GPS?

For about a month now google maps is basically unusable and strava acts very weird.

Google maps knows where I am in general, but when navigation is started, the phones location stops being updated.

Strava has worked 50% of the time. My latest rides usually start with some quackery before tracing a more accurate route.

It seems to be mentioned at the link below...perhaps an update has broken the functionality?

I've downloaded a few gps sensor apps and they report seeing the satellites, but it never locks on...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I've had all sorts of problems since last fall with my old S4. First it was because of some sort of weeks rollover dates.When I would record a Strava ride the date would come out in the year 2000. After that got fixed in January then I started having the same issues as you. Really hard getting signal and a lot of loss signals. I though it was my old phone that was causing issues, I see I'm not alone.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my note 10 works fine....the one iphone i had 10 years ago was the worst as far as any type of map app....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Still working through this.... I should make a correction though, that I have a Samsung s8, not s9.

Went for a hike and gps worked for 10-15ish minutes, then F'd right off. On recommendation from what I've read, I turned off location services for a moment and turned it back on; it seemed to work for the rest of the hike, bar one point.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Still working through this.... I should make a correction though, that I have a Samsung s8, not s9.

Went for a hike and gps worked for 10-15ish minutes, then F'd right off. On recommendation from what I've read, I turned off location services for a moment and turned it back on; it seemed to work for the rest of the hike, bar one point.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
OK, that shit I recognize - Trailforks was doing it to me last time I used it.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Same shit here. And I follow a lot of people that seems to have the same problem. My fix so far is to start recording 30 minutes before actual ride and crop at the end.

90929258_651973318921384_6701936654522777600_n.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, look at the plus side, you could commit some serious crimes and they wouldn't be able to use your phone-tracking/location in court.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, look at the plus side, you could commit some serious crimes and they wouldn't be able to use your phone-tracking/location in court.
That's the problem though...

GPS works, for example opening google maps it knows where I am fairly accurately. It's only when I start recording or start some sort of maps navigation that gps stops working or locks onto the wrong point.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Last few times I've recorded, I've first started an app called "GPO Locker" (blue icon with a target and padlock on it). Seems to help with keeping the GPS working.

Something to try...