Quantcast

Grad presents/gifts???

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

This may seem like a lame one, but my girlfriend graduates College soon and I was trying to think of somethings to get her. As far as I know of most everything she has gotten so far is money (she doesn't have debt, but go figure). I'd hate to just give her money as I doubt she'll like that comming from her boyfriend :(

She has most things I've found from looking online about what to get grads (laptop, cell phone, ipod, camera's etc....) so those lists were a joke. Like what 24 year old doesn't have those things already (or some of them).

Just curious, maybe from a women's perspective, something that they appricated or was a good idea/gift.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i never recieved a graduation gift from a SO. Take her out to a super nice dinner, or better yet, go on a vacation together.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Always a card, flowers and candy. They are the holy trinity of female gifts.

Gift certificates to a spa are always good too.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
laura said:
i never recieved a graduation gift from a SO. Take her out to a super nice dinner, or better yet, go on a vacation together.
I thought about the dinner thing, the sucky thing is it'd have to wait........LOL like a week. She has family that comes in Friday and they are here through the following Thrus. (well then she's gone with them). Her grad party is Sun, Saturday she's with (probably me too) extended family that's in town...

LOL Maybe I could just give her a card and write what we'll do in it as a gift....dinner or a camping trip or something...

I wish we could go on a vacation together, but as it is I have no job, so money is tight....but I figured if people give her anything from $25 to $150 I have a range to work with. Not that I want to be cheap, but at the same time I'd like to get her something more than a card and some grocery store roses :)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Spunger said:
LOL Maybe I could just give her a card and write what we'll do in it as a gift....dinner or a camping trip or something...

:)
When i said vacation, I meant something like this. I have to get out of town everytime i finish school. its just nice to get away and spend some times with each other and camping is cheap.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife is taking me to Canada for my grad present. Should be a good time. I'll bike while she shops, we both win.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Well maybe I'll plan a weekend camping trip........just to go to the lake and kick back, do nothing really :)

Other than that I'm out of ideas. She's not really a "girly girl" but at the same time she is probably the hardest person to buy gifts for. Every special event I always struggle buying her something. Why can't she like bikes :)

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
laura said:
what does she like to do? read? write? photos? drawing? hobbies?
Well......she reads people, doesn't write, does enjoy taking photos but nothing worth a more expensive camera than she already has....no to drawing.....and her hobbies as far as I can tell is going to concerts. Being a current student (today's her last day) she hasn't had too much time to do anything other than work and school. This summer she's already seeing her favorite singers (Tim Mcgraw and Keith Urban) 2x so far for Tim and 1x for Keith. There's a Friday show that she currently doesn't have tickets for but I'm not looking to spend $500 on concert tickets. At this point I'd have to sell a kidney or something to get there!

I struggle big time buying her gifts. To the point where it becomes obvious I don't know what she wants. She is too random. I've given here everything from jewlery (ring/watch/necklace/earings) at different events to a dvd player, telephone, headlights for her car, speakers, ipod, uggs, I mean jesus she has just about everything I can think to "give" a significant other. You name it I've probably bought it (6 years is enough time to do that). I know her co-wokers went in on a Coach bag for her which she's been wanting but again, I'm not looking to spend $300 on a purse.

I just always feel lame giving her a gift card because it's like.......I'm the boyfriend and more is expected out of me in that department. Camping I thought wouldn't be a bad idea seeing we bought camping gear but have yet to go. Other than that I'm lost and that idea only came from this thread :)

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
If she likes Tim McGraw, do yourself a favor and give yourself some shooting muffs.

If she likes outdoor stuff, perhaps a kayak or something. It sounds like you are up for a few hundred, so that's a thought. .

Julie loves that I dig quality leather and buy her purses on occasion. I never bought a high dollar purse. Just something with nice quality. Julie has always liked it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Spunger said:
I just always feel lame giving her a gift card because it's like.......I'm the boyfriend and more is expected out of me in that department. Camping I thought wouldn't be a bad idea seeing we bought camping gear but have yet to go. Other than that I'm lost and that idea only came from this thread :)

you should feel lame. my uncle i never see gives me gift cards for christmas. I think you have answered your own question. take her camping. you both will love it.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Yup - a trip away sounds like the thing.

The key to knowing what to buy a women is listening for the subtle hints and writing them down before you forget. Women think that by saying "Ooh, that's a nice xxxx" as you pass a shop window, or "Do you like that xxxx?" is equivalent to saying "Buy me that object or you will never have sex with me again!"

Why can they not make it simple?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
laura said:
you should feel lame. my uncle i never see gives me gift cards for christmas.
LOL thanks, it makes me feel tons better :)

After a while the $$$ ideas just seem like you can toss so much money at something, thinking it'll make the person happy but to a point it doesn't really do it.

Well I still have a couple of days to figure it out (her grad day is Sunday) so I can atleast get a card and think about it. Maybe flowers too but I hate giving flowers when someone can't enjoy them (hence she's leaving Tuesday, 1 day of flowers won't make or break anything). I dunno we'll see...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
fluff said:
Yup - a trip away sounds like the thing.

The key to knowing what to buy a women is listening for the subtle hints and writing them down before you forget. Women think that by saying "Ooh, that's a nice xxxx" as you pass a shop window, or "Do you like that xxxx?" is equivalent to saying "Buy me that object or you will never have sex with me again!"

Why can they not make it simple?

when tn and I do buy each other gifts (stockings at christmas) every time i see something i like i say, "hey that is nice and it would fit in a stocking, write that down". he keeps a list in his wallet from the end of october to december.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
You mentioned jewelry but I don't think there is woman around that will ever say {I have enough don't buy anymore} even a small amount of $$$ can go along way... and if you throw in flowers and a card you are golden.........oh yeah give them to her while camping....

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
laura said:
when tn and I do buy each other gifts (stockings at christmas) every time i see something i like i say, "hey that is nice and it would fit in a stocking, write that down". he keeps a list in his wallet from the end of october to december.
Excellent. Now go spread the word to the rest of the sisterhood!