Quantcast

Grad School

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
To all you engineering monkeys out there.

I'm a Junior in Mechanical Engineer trying to decide what to do after under grad.

MBA
Master Program for Engineering
Work
Something completely different.

What would you all recommend based on your experince in the working world and where you think things will be headed in the future. I am currently co-oping(interning) in the automotive industry and already know there is no way in hell all be coming back to this industry when i graduate. I dont care how good the money is its not worth it. So I lookin to change it up and move towards a different sector.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If I were an engineer, Id drive trains. I didn't know automobiles required engineers. I'd stick with the traditional train driving thing. Get some of those cool striped overalls and hat.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Can't really say much with regard to your other options, but if you choose to do your MS in Engineering, make sure the school pays for everything and gives you a Research Assistant stipend. If they offer a TA, tell them you'd rather look elsewhere.

Another quick point, a non-thesis program is a complete waste. If you want to to this you should have just taken more electives during your BS degree. The only worth while aspect of an MS program is the thesis & associated hands-on research.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
or simply sit for your EIT, do the time and then sit for the PE. That would be the most practical approach which also opens up NUMEROUS opportunities.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
or simply sit for your EIT, do the time and then sit for the PE. That would be the most practical approach which also opens up NUMEROUS opportunities.
I second that. Also You still have some time left if you know that you dont want to be in that industry try and get another co-op in another more interesting. It will make life more enjoyable when its time to find a real job.

Put that clemson degree to work, study hard get a 3.5 gpa get hired by exxon. Three of my classmates did this, their salaries out of school 79,000, 84,000, 86,000. Rumor has it that goes to six figures after a year.