Quantcast

grammar nazi shout-out

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Hey,

I have a couple questions for the resident Monkey Grammar Nazi, only, I don't know who to ask. :help:

So who's the Grammar Nazi here? I'm sure we have more than one, I just forget who they are.

Thanks. :)

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Binary Visions, Trancend, and SS are a few that will make you feel like an idiot upon occasion.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'll cut you down. Type some bull**** and I'll go to work.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Actually, despite a few standouts, the grammar and spelling around here are quite good. You should see some of the other forums I frequent :rofl:

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
BeerDemon said:
Actually, despite a few standouts, the grammar and spelling around here are quite good. You should see some of the other forums I frequent :rofl:
There is a guy in town here that posts on another board. He even talks like some of the bad posters. It drives me bonkers, but I don't see him much. I want to shake him sometimes though and tell him IM is not a language. :mumble:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
post away. i generally choose words correctly even if capitalization rarely happens.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Alfred said:
There is a guy in town here that posts on another board. He even talks like some of the bad posters. It drives me bonkers, but I don't see him much. I want to shake him sometimes though and tell him IM is not a language. :mumble:
That's very interesting Loco, thanks for sharing.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
My questions were more along the lines of: What are the rules for Grammar Nazi-ing?

Like...
Is is appropriate to inform someone he is using words that don't exist or misusing words in the hope that he'll learn and improve?

or
Should I just ignore it and move on, because chances are no one else really cares, and he'll resent being corrected anyway?

or is it:
If you find someone misusing or abusing the English language, give him a sound and swift grammatical beat-down. If he's going to communicate, he should do so intelligently. Or else.

(Just wondering)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
sunny said:
My questions were more along the lines of: What are the rules for Grammar Nazi-ing?

Like...
Is is appropriate to inform someone he is using words that don't exist or misusing words in the hope that he'll learn and improve?

or
Should I just ignore it and move on, because chances are no one else really cares, and he'll resent being corrected anyway?

or is it:
If you find someone misusing or abusing the English language, give him a sound and swift grammatical beat-down. If he's going to communicate, he should do so intelligently. Or else.

(Just wondering)
Based on your questions and presumptions, you qualify for the position of...

"Grammar Democrat"

and henceforth will be known as such.

Congo Rats!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
sunny said:

Like...

or

or is it:

(Just wondering)
i sometimes PM people if they are misusing a word, or spelling it blatantly incorrectly. reactions vary, as you may imagine. you have to pick your fights and anticipate some degree of defensiveness -- i'd say that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to pointing out borderline illiteracy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Silver said:
TheMontashu is a real stickler for proper grammar...
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Silver again.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I usually try and hint when people are doing things as odd as making up words and using them.... but it depends on my relationship with them. If I like them and am friendly with them, I'll usually try and make a joke out of it or make it a very light/joking comment. Unless I have one of those, "you-abuse-me-and-I'll-abuse-you" relationships with them in which case let them have it :p

If I don't know the person or am not friendly with them, I just leave it alone.

I don't typically correct people outside of the internet, and I mostly only do it here when people are just being stupid and not even trying :p

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
sunny said:
The only rules that govern a grammar nazi, are the rules of grammar. There are no other rules when you are a crusader for the English language.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
-SS- is the worst grammar nazi here.

The only time I comment on someone's grammar is when a grammar nazi themselves make a mistake, or someone whose post is so bad it's nearly unreadable.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
sunny said:

Like...

or

or is it:

(Just wondering)
If you're asking this question, it may be best if you just leave it -

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sunny said:

Like...
Absolutely. People who use words that are inexistentical should be banned. Immediately.

or
No - hopefully the repeat offenders will get so pi$$ed off they'll actually voluntarily leave. :p

or is it:
I can't really discern a difference between this and the first one. :rofl:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
sunny said:
or is it:

(Just wondering)

Wouldn't this preclude most of the SB kids from actually posting at all?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BeerDemon said:
Actually, despite a few standouts, the grammar and spelling around here are quite good. You should see some of the other forums I frequent :rofl

The posting quality on the democratic undergound is quite pathetic.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
sunny said:

Like...

or

or is it:

(Just wondering)
I had a boss that used to "correct" his employees. I would ALWAYS ignore his "suggestions" and often make up words or use the wrong pronunciation just to see his face get red with anger. It wasn't that I don't want to do things the way others do them, it's the way he would put down his employes when he told them they used the wrong words/grammer.

I also fail to see how memorizing the english language in the manner that others think is the "correct" way makes one more intelligent then someone else..... in my observation, the ones that think they are more intelligent are usually the ones that aren't so bright....;)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar