Quantcast

grammar nazi shout-out

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jdschall said:
Wow. That guy belongs in the SoCal forum.

Way to fight the good fight, Hippy. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pnj said:
I also fail to see how memorizing the english language in the manner that others think is the "correct" way makes one more intelligent then someone else
It doesn't make someone more intelligent, but it sure does come across as more intelligent.

Most people who are being "grammar nazis" aren't being unreasonable and picking on little inconsistancies (it's not like I point out that someone ended a sentence with a preposition). It's the total lack of effort from someone like Bearmntpicnic that's stupid.

In normal conversation with your peers, do you typically allow yourself to say things that make you appear stupid? Would you say to random people in your office, "boy, I ain't not gonna try that there coffee again"?

Thoughts and opinions usually carry more weight when they are expressed in an articulate and intelligible way.

As for your boss... I guess you weren't looking for a promotion in that job, eh? :p

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
binary visions said:
In normal conversation with your peers, do you typically allow yourself to say things that make you appear stupid? Would you say to random people in your office, "boy, I ain't not gonna try that there coffee again"?

Thoughts and opinions usually carry more weight when they are expressed in an articulate and intelligible way.

As for your boss... I guess you weren't looking for a promotion in that job, eh? :p
there were no promotions at that job. I went and dunn quite that won thow...;)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
It doesn't make someone more intelligent, but it sure does come across as more intelligent.

Most people who are being "grammar nazis" aren't being unreasonable and picking on little inconsistancies (it's not like I point out that someone ended a sentence with a preposition). It's the total lack of effort from someone like Bearmntpicnic that's stupid.

In addition to what BV just said, most people do not aquire good grammar through memorization. Most people who have good grammar also read alot. While I don't typically display it here, I have grammar and spelling skills that English teachers love. And it's not because I memorized the rules of grammar.

Having a command of your native language not only denotes intelligence, it allows you to get other people to do what you want them to. If you can phrase it correctly, you can get anyone to do anything. Not to mention having the ability to better express yourself and make people understand you. (Which brings up another point... the ability to communicate on ALL levels.... sometimes you do have to speak to the lowest common denominator).

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ciaran said:
In addition to what BV just said, most people do not aquire good grammar through memorization. Most people who have good grammar also read alot. While I don't typically display it here, I have grammar and spelling skills that English teachers would die for. And it's not because I memorized the rules of grammar.

Having a command of your native language not only denotes intelligence, it allows you to get other people to do what you want them to. If you can phrase it correctly, you can get anyone to do anything. Not to mention having the ability to better express yourself and make people understand you. (Which brings up anther point... the ability to communicate on ALL levels.... sometimes you have to speak to the lowest common denominator)
You missed a period at the end of that post....n00b.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I Are Baboon said:
You missed a period at the end of that post....n00b.
Baboon,

There is no such convention as a four-dot ellipsis. Please use a 3-dot ellipsis when expressing "trailing off into silence" in mid-sentence. However, a 3-dot ellipsis followed by a period is acceptable at the end of a sentence.

Respectfully,
Sunny
Grammar Civil Patrol

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I don't have a problem with correcting people's grammar (grammar and spelling are 2 diiferent things, BTW and I won't correct the latter because mine is nothing to write home about and I let myself slide on here)

Poor grammar really bugs me, though, and I figure that if I had to sit through years of dreadful grammar courses, that I can afford others the same pain I endured to get my degree :evil:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
sunny said:
Baboon,

There is no such convention as a four-dot ellipsis. Please use a 3-dot ellipsis when expressing "trailing off into silence" in mid-sentence. However, a 3-dot ellipsis followed by a period is acceptable at the end of a sentence.

Respectfully,
Sunny
Grammar Civil Patrol

True. However, 4 dots are okay if you are indicating that a large passage has been omitted

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
bluebug32 said:
I don't have a problem with correcting people's grammar (grammar and spelling are 2 diiferent things, BTW and I won't correct the latter because mine is nothing to write home about and I let myself slide on here)
How do you feel about punctuation?:rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sunny said:
Baboon,

Respectfully,
Sunny
Grammar Civil Patrol
I think I'm in :love:

:rofl:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
YESSS!!!

(a custom title)

BWAHAHAHAHAA! :rofl:

Sunny
Grammar Civil Patrol
Politely delivering grammatical bonks on the head to those who really need it. :)

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
sunny said:
YESSS!!!

(a custom title)

BWAHAHAHAHAA! :rofl:

Sunny
Grammar Civil Patrol
Politely delivering grammatical bonks on the head to those who really need it. :)
Awesome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bluebug32 said:
True. However, 4 dots are okay if you are indicating that a large passage has been omitted
The only reason it's okay, though, is for the reason she stated: it's an ellipse, followed by a period, indicating an omitted section and end of thought (or vice versa).

:D

binary visions said:
I usually try and hint when people are doing things as odd as making up words and using them.... but it depends on my relationship with them. If I like them and am friendly with them, I'll usually try and make a joke out of it or make it a very light/joking comment. Unless I have one of those, "you-abuse-me-and-I'll-abuse-you" relationships with them in which case let them have it :p

If I don't know the person or am not friendly with them, I just leave it alone.

I don't typically correct people outside of the internet, and I mostly only do it here when people are just being stupid and not even trying :p
That should be "I usually try to hint..." :eviltongu

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
johnbryanpeters said:
That should be "I usually try to hint..." :eviltongu
I could make the argument that what I said could be correct but we both know that it's just semantics and that you're right :p

:o:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
are you encroaching on my trademarked style?
binary visions said:
No, he still spells out "your" and "you're".
i picked up the lack of capitalization during undergrad, independent of you, thank you very much. i did steal "tho" and "altho" from al3x, on the other hand.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I Are Baboon said:
y'all haven't seen the proper use of ellipses until you've seen Shocktower in action.
ellipses, inversion of the usual orientation of commas and spaces, and backquotes instead of apostrophes&#8230; <-- note actual ellipse vs. 3 periods

cool guy in person tho :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Are we talking real world or the monkey world? In the real world, whether or not it's ok to correct someone totally depends on the circumstances (who it is, where you are, etc.). In the monkey world, correcting someone is always fair game.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Ciaran said:
All I know about grammar nazi-ing is that you better be spot on with your own grammar.
and everything else for that matter.

this site is a feeding frenzy just waiting to chomp on the first chink in someones armor.

but hey.
that's half the fun of posting here.
if ya ain't got thick skin.......

Feb 13, 2006
bluebug32 said:
Actually, that's not true. The standard convention is a 3-dot ellipsis regardless of the size of omission. When block quoting something that omits large segments, it is more acceptable to use a 3-asterisk quasi-ellipsis, like so:
If I was a royal bloody pedant, I'd be most likely to piss off everybody with the various things I'd do, such as:

So, that's why I don't act like a bloody pedantic member of the grammar schutzstapfel.
And the only other general rule regarding ellipses is that 4 dots are permissible when the 4th dot is a period (or full-stop for the cross-pond wankers).