Quantcast

Gran Turismo 4

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
balancing spring rate, ride height, and those huge curbs will be key, i think... or just driving a good lap :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
holy crap....how did I miss this thread...I have been addicted to this game for a long time now...must read more...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmm..Ill wait for the next challenge because I don't own a single American car and I like it that way :D...D
how about you can enter this contest in any one of the following cars... but you have to abide by the same rules: no nitrous, no engine/exhaust/transmission mods. :D

Honda Civic (EK) SiR 98
Honda Civic (EK) Type R 03
Honda NSX Coupe 02
Honda Prelude SiR S spec 98

or, since i'm generous

Kia Rio

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
wait a second!!! I can really only use the NSX...it's the only rwd car compared to the vette...I see you're afraid of my skills ;)...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ya, just suck it up, buy the vette, win the challenge, then sell it :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1'28.968" after a few laps. no cheating wall-rides for me on this course, either :D

setup: full race suspension, soft spring rates (8/6 i think), 111 mm ride height (lifted! heh), 5/8 rebound and compression, sways set to 5, -4.0/-2.5 camber. while there might be more speed in a lower, stiffer setup, i can't drive the course that way as any curb brushes lead to a sideways step and a slow recovery. full weight reduction, 3 plate clutch, carbon driveshaft, oil change when brand new, super soft race tires, etc.

key things about the track: lift a little on the left hander right before the uphill, as hitting the wall is much worse than scrubbing a few too many mph for the turn. lift in midair else risk sketchiness. and do as Zark says, drive big arcs through multiple turns... mmm, arcs. oh yeah, and a lot of the corners are best taken in 3rd, not 2nd: bogging for a bit is quicker than shifting again :)

(i'm on call from this morning through sunday night so can't go too far from the tether of the telephone [and ps2!], so you might see a few updates to this time this weekend. :D)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
now 1'28.274". this is an easy track to screw up on... only change was driving better :pirate2: and bumping camber a bit to -4.5/-2.9ish.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
now 1'28.274". this is an easy track to screw up on... only change was driving better :pirate2: and bumping camber a bit to -4.5/-2.9ish.
wow you have it set to -4.5 and -2.9 camber...I need to read up more...I'm still learing about suspension.....D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i ran -3.0/-1.8 on my street driven wrx... tail happy cars are good for autocross and tight courses. (oblig: and for spinning out and hitting the wall on wet days, apparently.)

the front camber is kind of visible in this image, if you ignore the foreground distraction

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
i ran -3.0/-1.8 on my street driven wrx... tail happy cars are good for autocross and tight courses. (oblig: and for spinning out and hitting the wall on wet days, apparently.)

the front camber is kind of visible in this image, if you ignore the foreground distraction

That's one HUGE dog.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
1.30.074 currently. I'm skipping off a couple curbs still, there is more speed to be had

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I'm at 1:29.202. With a GREAT run I could get it down in to the 1:28's. Just a matter if I can actually have said great run.

Toshi, you still at the same time? I don't know if I can take a whole second off my lap time to match you.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm going to hang out at this time until one of y'all pass me up, then back to the console :D . it was a pretty decent feeling run.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
there's still 3 days left. more time left to wring out of this track for sure... i've gotten some freakishly fast sections by driving out of control after putting a wheel on the curb by mistake. too bad i can't control it, by definition :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
y´all play with them little joysticks and thangs? or wheels and pedals?

i dont have a ps (of any kind), but i play racing games on pc (when i have time at least). i´d be up for that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
logitech driving force. my dad rocks the driving force pro, but i actually find the older, 180 degree rotation wheel easier to use for most courses.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
I don't think the wheels are much of an advantage.....personally i'm faster with the regular old controler....

What is the next challenge gonna be.....I wanna get in on this, but if there's only a couple days left, then I might as well not bother starting on this.....

I vote it involves a little better car.....maybe the F1 if everyone has that......or something cool?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
jump in on this one! i don't think anyone's been putting in long hours every day on this challenge judging by the lack of activity. :D i've put in about an hour total on the seattle course (but did spend many an hour doing the driving tests and missions on the course in the past :)).

assuming i get to pick, i'm thinking of a long course with no car restrictions for the next one...

:pirate2:

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I don't think the wheels are much of an advantage.....personally i'm faster with the regular old controler....

What is the next challenge gonna be.....I wanna get in on this, but if there's only a couple days left, then I might as well not bother starting on this.....

I vote it involves a little better car.....maybe the F1 if everyone has that......or something cool?
I can pretty much guarantee that not everyone has the F1. Try this challange. The vette is a pretty sweet car, surprisingly so concidering it the engine is stock.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
setup: full race suspension, soft spring rates (8/6 i think), 111 mm ride height (lifted! heh), 5/8 rebound and compression, sways set to 5, -4.0/-2.5 camber....
I've been meaning to ask you about this. You refer to camber angle"-4.0/-2.5" These values appear as 2.0 front 1.0 rear and don't go into the negative. What am I missing here?

I tried to use your suspension settings and my vette handled like a garbage truck with blown shocks, so I guess I didn't get it right.:biggrin:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
heh. yeah, the negative is implied: you pick 4 and 2.5 on the settings. positive camber has no use, so it's good that you're not allowed to pick it.

what didn't you like about the settings? too much camber will result in poor braking -- was that your complaint?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
heh. yeah, the negative is implied: you pick 4 and 2.5 on the settings. positive camber has no use, so it's good that you're not allowed to pick it.

what didn't you like about the settings? too much camber will result in poor braking -- was that your complaint?
In my poor understanding of your setup I was taking the camber from 2 to 1.4 (Front) and 1 to 0.7 (rear). The braking was sh*t, flying into walls. The car had mad body roll and generally couldn't hold a line for sh*t. My lap times were better w/ 108mm ride height, 5/8 bound/rebound, and stock camber. I think I really screwed up the handling with my camber adjust.

I'll try these settings tonight and see if can finally break 1.30.074.

Another interesting note: my slightly buzzed/not giving a sh*t lap times are almost always better than sober/serious about time runs.. So drink up:cheers:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
haven't ripped into that game in about five months.

i have an F1, an R8 and a motul pitwork Z that are set up just for "the ring".
holy crap, that's a fun track to drive.

that and grand valley reverse are the two best reasons to spend waaaaay too much time playin that game.

but alas, riding season is in full swing.
so i may not revisit until winter or a rainy day.