Quantcast

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
is it the original model? if so, it could be your gpu and cpu have gone kaput.

edit:the two free cars from Gamestop turned out to be one free NASCAR car
It is the original model. I guess I'll just buy a new one. Not sure what to do with the old one.

Hooray for a free NASCAR car :rolleyes:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It is the original model. I guess I'll just buy a new one. Not sure what to do with the old one.

Hooray for a free NASCAR car :rolleyes:
theres a place where i used to live in NJ that fixes them for the cheap, but it will probably die eventually. hell, we got 4+ years out of them. the newer PS3's are so much smaller, consume less power but feel like they are built worse

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
tons of loading, but i didnt install the 8gb file they ask you to download to your HDD. its worth the 40min install
You definitely want to install the game to your HDD. Hopefully they clear up the issues of the game freezing when signed into PSN. Apparently the game tries to contact the PD servers when switching between menus. And their server wasn't handling the congestion so well, causing the game to freeze on the loading screen. I was seconds from taking the disc out of my PS3 yesterday and burning it. Quick google search and saw what the problem was. Signed out of PSN and everything loaded quickly.

My only complaint with this game so far is the sound. The cars sound TERRIBLE. I picked up a 69 Camaro to do one of the classic car races, and it sounds like a ricer. Some cars sound better than others, but they sound like complete crap compared to most racing games out now.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm way effen jealous. I don't have a ps3 yet. This was the game i was waiting for so i could get one. I've got the dough, but not the time. Sucks being adult. I hate having responsibilities.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Just got my copy yesterday! I'm still working my way through license tests and some beginner races, but so far it's meeting my expectations well enough.

Karting is fun as hell! I haven't had a chance to test out the online stuff, but I'm sure it's going to be an unreasonably good time.

RM GT league anyone? My PSN is PhotoNinja30D.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You definitely want to install the game to your HDD. Hopefully they clear up the issues of the game freezing when signed into PSN. A

My only complaint with this game so far is the sound. The cars sound TERRIBLE.
i did install the game now, but didnt have any issues before i did. it does load a lot faster now that the game is semi-installed on the system.

the sound does stink, i agree. the worst is when you are close to other cars at lower speeds. all the sounds tend to blend together in a constant drone.

my other small complaint is when you have to retrieve your price cars from the trailer. it takes way too long to go to each car and put them in your garage.

RM GT league anyone? My PSN is PhotoNinja30D.
PSN- deadatbirth

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
What a trip. Did they do the "commands" style racing in GT4? Pretty strange to not be driving...

And what the heck's up with all the button pushing? It seems like it takes a ton of "keystrokes" to do anything!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What a trip. Did they do the "commands" style racing in GT4? Pretty strange to not be driving...

And what the heck's up with all the button pushing? It seems like it takes a ton of "keystrokes" to do anything!
i havent gotten into Spec B racing yet.

GT4 was worse with the button pushing since you had to go into each "country" for different races, tuning and car buying. GT5 might also seem like a lot since theres a ton of options.

whats your PSN name Cliff?

edit: i see theres a new 133mb patch available right now too. so far thats the 2nd patch since it came out

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How's the online racing? Finally picked up a headset today, so I'll probably give it a try tonight.
they are apparently also having issues since the servers were only designed to handle 500k people at a time and they got overloaded (der)

the recent patch was apparently to
include more regulations for online play like max power and weight restrictions

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So stoked to be playing a new Grand Tourismo, The tests are interesting, just started my IB license. I dig that the cars are easier to pitch out and the E brake is more usable. The premium cars driving from the interior view is awesome! We need to setup the old RM GT5 challenges now ;)

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I really like this game, but there are few things that really piss me off about it.

-The fact that you can't save your setups is just plain retarded.
-The fully adjustable transmission isn't fully adjustable, you can only adjust the top speed, not individual gears (some are saying you might be able to unlock this ability later in the game, but I've talked to people at level 28 and they still can't)
-Gift cars are a fvcking joke. Give me something I can actually use for upcoming races.
-They hide half of the cars from you, and you have to constantly search the used cars to see if they have it (99% of the time they don't have what you need to enter upcoming races).
-Some cars in the dealer are 20,000,000 credits!? Only unemployed people with absolutely no life will obtain these cars (even then, maybe 1 if they're lucky).
-The standard cars really do look as if they were ported directly from the PS2. While graphics don't make the game, it definitely takes away from an otherwise really good looking game.

All complaints aside, it's still a great game. There are times that I can't get enough of it, but other times Im cursing it for all it's worth.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I really like this game, but there are few things that really piss me off about it.

-Gift cars are a fvcking joke. Give me something I can actually use for upcoming races.
-
I really liked winning a Vitz ("oh well, at least I can use it in the Vitz races") and then being down like 50bhp on the turbo Vitz's necessitating either the addition of a really expensive turbo upgrade or the purchase of yet another (worthless) Vitz. Fun!

And completely agree about having the cars arrive in the car hauler thing and then having to go through a series of menus to transfer over to your garage. Why?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I really liked winning a Vitz ("oh well, at least I can use it in the Vitz races") and then being down like 50bhp on the turbo Vitz's necessitating either the addition of a really expensive turbo upgrade or the purchase of yet another (worthless) Vitz. Fun!
i didnt do a turbo upgrade on the Vitz and still dominated the race....just did the mid -level exhaust, intake, ecu, the basic clutch and basic flywheel.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
So far I'm loving this game aside from some of the things already mentioned. The $20,000,000 cars are usually prizes for endurance races or all gold on IA or S licenses, at least thats how it was in gt4. I'm currently working on the amateur level AMG challenge, all gold except for the full nurburgring lap. You pretty much need a perfect lap without getting held up by traffic, its a little frustrating:mad:

If anyone wants to add me PSN ID: MdrnDayCtySympny

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yep, $20mil will be easy when you move up into the higher levels of racing. i had several mutli million dollar cars in GT4 with a ton of money won from long endurance races.
some of the Special Events are hard since the cars either dont handle for crap (VW Bus in Top Gear Challenge) or are pretty sketchy (Lotus in Top Gear Challenge) to name a few.

the final challenge on the IA license is driving me nuts. the Lambo is so sketchy under braking its making it challenging. I can get Bronze, but want to complete the license with all Silver (and some gold)

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Forgot about the VW bus Top Gear thing. Tried it a couple of times and was having a hard time avoiding contact. Also not excited to hear about the final AMG amateur challenge. I was hoping it would be just a timed lap. Gold on the first two so far. Forgot how much fun the Nurburgring is to drive. What's everyone using as a controller? DS2? Wheel?

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I had no trouble getting all gold on the Nurburgring challenges (still think there's one left that Im not at a high enough level to play though). I drove the piss out of that track in both Forza 2 & 3, so I know it like the back of my hand (sad, I know). But I can't for the life of me beat that first Top Gear challenge in the VW van.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
gonna try this

Jalopnik Reader Tip #2::
Having trouble with the Top Gear Test Track Samba bus race? Try ignoring the racing line and follow these rules: Tap the brake at Wilson. Take the inside at Chicago and tap the brake, Take the inside at the hammerhead and tap the brake, then cut the corner when you start turning right, then flat out until you hit Bacharach start outside of the racing line, don't cut the inside so much that you go off the track, but come close, and just tap the brakes, then let off the gas a bit through Gambon, and across the line!
Remember if you hit another bus or try to pull a Tom Cruise you'll be disqualified. You are allowed to sideswipe buses as long they are turning into you also.

After a few tries you should be able to pass them all in one lap.
— MikeHTiger

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Man, that race was such a pain -- I finally ended up getting gold but not after a solid 2 hours of playing. I ended up going wide and squaring off Wilson, inside at Chicago, outside to inside in the Hammerhead, and inside on Bacharach/Gambon. I was never near anyone going through the follow through and Bentley but I pretty much just followed the rubber.

Now the intermediate level with the Elise is proving to be obscenely difficult. The thing just skates around like it's on ice (though, I have the stupid desire to play this game with all driving aids off) -- I haven't been able to get anything above 5th place.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the Super License race with the Alfa 8C is proving to be a pain. i cant get gold even after about a hour of trying. i can get silver no problem, but all my other Super licenses are gold......must step away.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Got gold on the Elise challenge after a few frustrating initial attempts. The hardest part is the 1st turn, I found I had to brake early and pass the first car on the outside and cut under the 2nd. If you can maintain the inside line you can pick off 4 of 5 cars before the chicane. I also had to cheat and turned up the ABS to 6 and the TCS to 2, Comfort hard tires are the suck.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Actually loved the Top Gear challenge with the Elise. Car handles really well, it just has very limited grip. Had a couple of epic drifts going through the fast corners (follow-through and Bentley maybe?), but my biggest problem was running over a cone that had been knocked onto the racing line. You wouldn't expect that to pitch the front of the car straight up into the air, but maybe I'm just not familiar with "Top Gear" cones.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ugh, i finally beat the Super license with all gold. they were all easy except for the damn Alfa Romeo race.grrr.
for some reason, im only at level 16

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
So is the game worth getting a ps3/cheapish wheel for?

I was really hope it would be, but so far it seems like a clone of GT4 with a 200 cars that actually look like they should be on the PS3 a long with some stupid design choices (such as unlocking damage). Hopefully there will be some patches to help fix everything, and through paid DLC.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So is the game worth getting a ps3/cheapish wheel for?

I was really hope it would be, but so far it seems like a clone of GT4 with a 200 cars that actually look like they should be on the PS3 a long with some stupid design choices (such as unlocking damage). Hopefully there will be some patches to help fix everything, and through paid DLC.
i think it is worth it for sure. even with a controller its as fun as you want it to be. you can finish every race in 2nd or 3rd, but trying to do well is what makes it fun for me. and its challenging
although a lot of the 800 cars do look like crap, they still handle and perform the way it actually car does handle. to me, thats worth the look of the cars.