Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I see that my name has been invoked in this thread. For the record, I have a $75 dented-box Driving Force GT wheel. Hardly will break the bank, that. Fanatec? Sure, if you buy me one.

I may cave in and buy a PS3 and GT5 this summer depending on finances. We shall see. For now I'm going to chug away at F1 2010--five races into my first season at the moment.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Anyone try to get the GT-R official record trophy? Have to choose the 07 GT-R in arcade mode, with sport hard tires or less, and get a 7:29.03 or better. Tried a couple laps last night and the best I can get so far with sport hard tires is 7:34. Got a 7:20 with racing tires, just can't seem to figure out how to push the car that damn hard with the sh*tty sport tires on it.

The Nurburgring is definitely more difficult in GT5 than it was in Forza.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Anyone try to get the GT-R official record trophy? Have to choose the 07 GT-R in arcade mode, with sport hard tires or less, and get a 7:29.03 or better. Tried a couple laps last night and the best I can get so far with sport hard tires is 7:34.
:rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just the GTR.

I wasn't aware of that trophy/specifications.
so why is that funny?

another update for damage but only for online play :think:
Fire up Gran Turismo 5 and you’ll be prompted to download another new update, version 1.03, weighing in at 149MB in size. No information has yet been released about exactly what this update contains (though the official PlayStation blog hinted at incoming damage tweaks earlier today, thanks @hankolerd), and GT5’s online servers are currently offline until 11:00PM EST. I’ll update this post as soon as more solid information is made available.

UPDATE: The servers are back online and an in-game news notice has been posted, but it mentions nothing of exactly what changes v1.03 contains. However, as can be seen in the online “My Lounge” options for an online race, a new “Mechanical Damage” setting is available for the event with three settings, as described by the scrolling information bar on the bottom of the screen:

“None” – No mechanical damage.
“Light” – Mechanical parts can be damaged, but will “automatically be repaired after a short time has passed.”
“Heavy” – Mechanical damage will be more severe, and can only be repaired by making a pit stop. Damaged parts will be indicated with on-screen icons.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-v1-03-update-now-available/

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
so why is that funny?
Your trollin me right?

The whole GTR vs 911 stock ring lap battle where Nissan bolstered claims is was legit/production stock after Porsche/everyone's mom challenged it and as it turned out there was something with the tires. Either stickier/shaved/cut, cant remember.

I'm humored they chose to include that trophy.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Your trollin me right?

The whole GTR vs 911 stock ring lap battle where Nissan bolstered claims is was legit/production stock after Porsche/everyone's mom challenged it and as it turned out there was something with the tires. Either stickier/shaved/cut, cant remember.

I'm humored they chose to include that trophy.
i didnt know thats what you were referring to

and no, Porsche just got butt hurt that they got beat.
they used stock tires and the car was heavier w/ 50kg of equipment

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/nissan-offers-more-evidence-of-gt-r-ring-run-second-video-and/

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone else finding the "S" licenses really easy? Usually in any Gran Turismo "pass 11 cars in 1 lap" challenge they'll do their best to make it a giant pain, but for these the AI cars are SO slow it's ridiculous. The Lamborghini one especially you'd have to try hard not to win.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Anyone else finding the "S" licenses really easy? Usually in any Gran Turismo "pass 11 cars in 1 lap" challenge they'll do their best to make it a giant pain, but for these the AI cars are SO slow it's ridiculous. The Lamborghini one especially you'd have to try hard not to win.
the S was the easiest one of them all. all the others i got silver and sometimes had to do races multiple times, but the Super license i got gold in 1-3 tries usually

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
the S was the easiest one of them all. all the others i got silver and sometimes had to do races multiple times, but the Super license i got gold in 1-3 tries usually
The Ferrari 330 one took me a few goes. Had a hard time with the high speed handling...kept running wide at the exit of turns. Other than that they've been pretty easy so far. Unfortunately I'm terrible at the stupid cone weave slalom tests. Usually takes me forever to get gold on those.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
anyone have any tips for the all nascar series? i tried with the aero turned all the way up and gearing at 261mph top speed, but 1st gear is basically useless and the car turns into a drift car on the road courses

Last edited:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
anyone have any tips for the all nascar series? i tried with the aero turned all the way up and gearing at 261mph top speed, but 1st gear is basically useless and the car turns into a drift car on the road courses
When I was playing with a controller I had to turn TCS to 1, and keep skid recovery force on in order to win. The controller just doesn't give you enough modulation with the throttle when accelerating out of the slow speed corners. This is one huge advantage when playing with a wheel/pedals.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I've been playing around with the photo modes lately -- I think I've killed a good 6 or 7 hours in a couple of sittings, ha. The detail in the models is ridiculous! More than a few people have thought these are real.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Everyone (In the US) sign up! I got 490ish on the GT5 Academy demo so I'll definitely be going to work on this one:http://www.gtplanet.net/gt-academy-usa-full-details-registration-information/
Cool, thanks for the link. I'd love to win a Playseat or some junk like that.

What are you working on in GT5?

I went through all the license tests that my level (currently only 15 A-spec, 1 B-spec!) allows for, and found that I lack the patience to get all gold in IC. I've lost a little bit of that OCD, I guess, although I did persist to get gold on national B, A, and even stuff like the '62 VW bus Top Gear challenge. :rofl:

Anyway, after the licenses I moved on to the special events hoping to get some prize cars instead of starting the real racing series, and am up to the intermediate rally events. I wish my rally co-driver would call out turns a bit earlier.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Cool, thanks for the link. I'd love to win a Playseat or some junk like that.

I went through all the license tests that my level (currently only 15 A-spec, 1 B-spec!) allows for, and found that I lack the patience to get all gold in IC. I've lost a little bit of that OCD, I guess, although I did persist to get gold on national B, A, and even stuff like the '62 VW bus Top Gear challenge. :rofl:

Anyway, after the licenses I moved on to the special events hoping to get some prize cars instead of starting the real racing series, and am up to the intermediate rally events. I wish my rally co-driver would call out turns a bit earlier.
The co-drivers in the rally races are definitely worthless. Other than that, they are a lot of fun though. Doing the special events first is also a good idea, as you can earn a good amount of both credits and xp points.

Im currently lvl 27 and only have the endurance races left in A-spec. Just can't find the time to do them. This is the first GT game I've really played, and couldn't believe that the 24 hrs of Le Mans is actually 24 hrs :eek: .

Really sucks that you can't save at a pit stop or something for races like that, and if I was to just pause it and come back to it, I'd have to leave the console on for over a week to finish it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are you picking out cars that blow away their competition or are you trying to pick ones that are basically on par with the rest of the field? That's another reason I like the special events: level playing field by design, even to the absurd level of the VW buses :D

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the only race i didnt blow the competition away in was the Top Gear Races. all the other races that they provided cars in for the Special Races, i blew them away. most of them were easy...especially the Rally.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Are you picking out cars that blow away their competition or are you trying to pick ones that are basically on par with the rest of the field? That's another reason I like the special events: level playing field by design, even to the absurd level of the VW buses :D
I've built a fairly even car for every race I've done. I don't find much fun in driving 5 seconds ahead of the pack. Once I picked up a wheel, I went back and did every event over again also.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I'm Level 20 and have mostly been trying to beat all of the special events. Just got gold on all the sections and full lap of the second level of the AMG Nurburgring challenge. The full lap was really tough, 7.05.000 is the gold time and i had at least ten laps within one second of it and a few of those were less than a hundredth, closest was 7.05.056. I finally beat it by a few seconds last night but it requires you to go all out the whole lap and not get hung up on any of the slow cars.

A couple on the grand tour are pretty brutal, especially the first race and the lambo stage at night. Those will be the last I have to gold that I have unlocked.

For the licenses I just blew through all of the low level ones getting mostly silvers, but took the time to gold all of the super tests. They were surprisingly easy, as the opponents take the same lines every time. I found myself in first with most of the lap to go and could just cruise to the finish.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the only race i didnt blow the competition away in was the Top Gear Races. all the other races that they provided cars in for the Special Races, i blew them away. most of them were easy...especially the Rally.
You got gold in the Lotus 111 challenge? I was happy to get silver. Tail happy POS. :D
I've built a fairly even car for every race I've done. I don't find much fun in driving 5 seconds ahead of the pack. Once I picked up a wheel, I went back and did every event over again also.
:thumb:
I'm Level 20 and have mostly been trying to beat all of the special events. Just got gold on all the sections and full lap of the second level of the AMG Nurburgring challenge. The full lap was really tough, 7.05.000 is the gold time and i had at least ten laps within one second of it and a few of those were less than a hundredth, closest was 7.05.056. I finally beat it by a few seconds last night but it requires you to go all out the whole lap and not get hung up on any of the slow cars.

A couple on the grand tour are pretty brutal, especially the first race and the lambo stage at night. Those will be the last I have to gold that I have unlocked.

For the licenses I just blew through all of the low level ones getting mostly silvers, but took the time to gold all of the super tests. They were surprisingly easy, as the opponents take the same lines every time. I found myself in first with most of the lap to go and could just cruise to the finish.
I applaud you. I'm not motivated enough at this point to get golds on the 'ring. Got silvers pretty much the first time through on all of them since I know the track from that pesky last driving mission in GT4. At least none have the 122 second delay as that one did!

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
You got gold in the Lotus 111 challenge? I was happy to get silver. Tail happy POS. :D

:thumb:

I applaud you. I'm not motivated enough at this point to get golds on the 'ring. Got silvers pretty much the first time through on all of them since I know the track from that pesky last driving mission in GT4. At least none have the 122 second delay as that one did!
I'd forgotten about that GT4 challenge. I think it was the only thing I never managed gold on in that game. Once I switched over to the wheel it got a whole lot easier, but by that point I was pretty fed up with it.

Currently level 21 and the NASCAR challenge is driving me crazy along with "Like the Wind". Loved the AMG challenges, particularly in the rain. Sebastian Loeb Rally thing is also not going well. Got gold on the first one. Haven't passed the other two.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Currently level 21 and the NASCAR challenge is driving me crazy along with "Like the Wind". Loved the AMG challenges, particularly in the rain. Sebastian Loeb Rally thing is also not going well. Got gold on the first one. Haven't passed the other two.
those two races are pissing me off too. the car handling (or lack there of) is driving me nuts.

i loved the Loeb challenge and wish there was more.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
those two races are pissing me off too. the car handling (or lack there of) is driving me nuts.

i loved the Loeb challenge and wish there was more.
I like the rally stuff, but can't seem to find the right balance between drifting the car a bit and still keeping it pointed straight enough to get the power down. I think some of my problem with the second and third challenges is just that it's taken me a while to learn the stages. They are LONG.

For the NASCAR races I've won the first race (Indy?), but get killed when it comes to the roadcourses. More than anything it seems to be the powerband. Maybe I'll play around with the gearing. Just can't get the car out of slow corners with the 90mph 1st gear.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I like the rally stuff, but can't seem to find the right balance between drifting the car a bit and still keeping it pointed straight enough to get the power down. I think some of my problem with the second and third challenges is just that it's taken me a while to learn the stages. They are LONG.

For the NASCAR races I've won the first race (Indy?), but get killed when it comes to the roadcourses. More than anything it seems to be the powerband. Maybe I'll play around with the gearing. Just can't get the car out of slow corners with the 90mph 1st gear.
the trick to the rally is to go slower into the turns and have a high exit speed. if you just try and drift slide it, you wont have as good of a time.

i also won Indy every time ive attempted it but the first road course made me stop the series.
i turned the gearing speed to almost max speed to have a longer 1st gear, but that only helps a bit. i also tried to drift the car around every time and that worked for the first lap only. i have the aero maxed out on downforce too.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
If you're playing with a controller, you'll probably have to turn skid recovery force on, and set traction control to 1 in order to win the nascar road races. That's what I had to do prior to having a wheel anyway.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
If you're playing with a controller, you'll probably have to turn skid recovery force on, and set traction control to 1 in order to win the nascar road races. That's what I had to do prior to having a wheel anyway.
Usually I refuse to use any assists (other than the ABS 1), but I may have to resort here. Or finally figure out a way to set up the G25 in my living room.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
jebus. i was about to finish the nascar series when someone spins me out at Daytona. i hate not being able to restart a race during a series. once your down on a oval track, its impossible to catch up

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
anyone know where to get a German Touring Car or car for the Formula GT? Ferrari has two F1 cars but they are $10mil and up....i only have $3.8mil. i dont think selling my 90 cars will help the extra $7mil.