Quantcast

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
anyone know where to get a German Touring Car or car for the Formula GT? Ferrari has two F1 cars but they are $10mil and up....i only have $3.8mil. i dont think selling my 90 cars will help the extra $7mil.
I did a little research and found out the used car dealership adds cars after every "race day" like in gt4. The stock will completely refresh after 5 days. You can jump forward a day by entering a license test and and skipping forward one test. Eventually you'll find the Formula F1 for about 4.4mil. Also, Ferrari F1 cannot be used for the formula f1 race, only the F1PDGT.

*EDIT- Not confirmed* =>You can get the Ferrari F1 by beating the nurburgring 24h

Last edited:

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
anyone know where to get a German Touring Car or car for the Formula GT? Ferrari has two F1 cars but they are $10mil and up....i only have $3.8mil. i dont think selling my 90 cars will help the extra $7mil.
What Matchew posted applies for the German touring cars as well , just gotta visit the used car dealer regularly. I eventually got a BMW , I've seen an Audi a couple of times too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I finished off the Super license after getting home from work late last night. After struggling with the Sarthe challenge (S-9) the night before I oddly had no problems at all with it, passing everyone by the second chicane on the Mulsanne straight. A conservative, clean drive on the backside and the gold was mine. I also got gold on S-10, which, after driving like a madman on the frontside, was also oddly easy.

The difficulty on the tests and challenges is kind of all over the place. In some gold was pretty easy once one figures out the course and line. In others I struggled for quite a while to get silver. In others yet, like the second and third Sebastian Loeb rally school challenges, I can't even get bronze at this point!

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
when do you actually get it?
You unlock the Sebastian Vettel challenge at level 30 a-spec. You'll need to beat his time around 3 tracks (2 laps each) to get the X1. You get 1 for bronze, 2 silver & 3 for gold (3 different versions). It will also be available to purchase from the dealer at level 40, or you get one gifted to you for reaching level 35 b-spec.

Like someone else mentioned, you can only use the Formula GT for that series, no F1 cars. The best way to get it is to keep refreshing the used car lot. The quickest way to do that, is to go into the license tests and select one, but instead of loading it, select "next test". Do that from 1 to 5 and you'll have 30 new cars in the used lot. Only took me about 15 minutes before the FGT came up. Just make sure you're at level 24 and have 4.8 mill in the bank so you can actually buy it.

EDIT: Apparently todays update added something called "online dealership" and most people are saying the FGT is there the first time they open it....

As far as the German touring cars, there is a Lexus in the dealer that qualifies for it (can't remember exactly why, but it does).

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah i refreshed the used car lot a few times and found a Abt Tuning Audi TT. throw a turbo on it and you can basically walk the field.
i redid the special events that i got silver in to get gold, but my XP only increased slightly. im still stuck at 23 1/2.
im done with all but two race series and dont know how to get anymore XP

do the endurance races come at level 24 or 25?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I think the Endurance comes in at 25. Everyone seems to be reporting a lot of "grinding" to keep progressing once you get into level 20+.

Seems like a strange progression curve. I can't imagine actually getting to Level 40...even 30 seems like it's going to be a huge time investment.

Edit: I haven't even tried online play, but this seems like update 1.05 should help with the experience issue.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-v1-05-update-brings-new-events-more-available-now/

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Everyone seems to be reporting a lot of "grinding" to keep progressing once you get into level 20+.
yeah, the XP seemed to come easily before level 20, but since then even winning several series, my XP only increased a bit.
30 or even 40 seems almost impossible at this point

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i miss the days of PS2 with memory cards where you could save the game, take the card out and modify any car you want. if you didnt like it, put the card back in and reload your last save w/ all the money you just spent still there.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
i miss the days of PS2 with memory cards where you could save the game, take the card out and modify any car you want. if you didnt like it, put the card back in and reload your last save w/ all the money you just spent still there.
Todays update also made it so you can back up your save data, so that may be an option. Haven't done it myself though.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
in the online manual it says it can be copied to a external storage device

edit: new seasonal events seem to give a lot of XP, but you need very specific cars...its a good thing i still have 90 cars

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Thank goodness. I was growing a little tired of the incredibly slow progress. Currently around 22.5 and trying to finish off "Like the Wind". Also started on B-Spec for the sake of some of the prize cars available. Kind of fun and also kind of infuriating. Question for anyone who is more familiar with B-Spec. Is there any advantage to using multiple AI drivers? Currently just have the one who is around Level 15.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thank goodness. I was growing a little tired of the incredibly slow progress. Currently around 22.5 and trying to finish off "Like the Wind". Also started on B-Spec for the sake of some of the prize cars available. Kind of fun and also kind of infuriating. Question for anyone who is more familiar with B-Spec. Is there any advantage to using multiple AI drivers? Currently just have the one who is around Level 15.
Later races let you enter multiple drivers from your "team" concurrently

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I guess I'd better get started leveling up some more drivers. I assume I can't enter them at races higher than their level? Or does it go by my overall B-spec level? Not that enthused about having to redo a bunch of Level 1/2 races with additional drivers.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I guess I'd better get started leveling up some more drivers. I assume I can't enter them at races higher than their level? Or does it go by my overall B-spec level? Not that enthused about having to redo a bunch of Level 1/2 races with additional drivers.
Goes with overall B-spec level, I'm pretty sure

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Anyone else start the time trials for the GT Academy? Did some laps on Tsukuba and the best I could manage was rank 43 for my region. Have to give it another try tomorrow....

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Anyone else start the time trials for the GT Academy? Did some laps on Tsukuba and the best I could manage was rank 43 for my region. Have to give it another try tomorrow....
i tried the 370Z and only got about 170 on a few laps.

i got a FGT and tried the series. the car is so fast and twitchy it makes it a bit hard...especially after racing the Fiat 500 challenge in the seasonal races.
i went from $6.7mil to $1.8mil. thankfully the Endurance races pay out good like GT4

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was sadly unable to play any GT yesterday. I'll give it a shot tonight. :thumb:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Have to give it a shot later this week. Just did the Indy and SSR5 events under the Seasonal races last night. Ran SSR5 twice and only managed a second place, so I'll have to redo that. Indy was easy, but I already had the full customizable gearbox, which is essential unless you like sitting on the rev limiter for 15 seconds on the straightaway.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
but I already had the full customizable gearbox, which is essential unless you like sitting on the rev limiter for 15 seconds on the straightaway.
yeah a custom tranny, suspension, tires and drivetrain upgrade are important to win those races. especially since you cant add really any power to the cars.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
May have to consider some mods to the GT-R. Might be possible to squeak out a win with it stock, but the two attempts that I made were pretty good and I think I was around 8 seconds back at the end.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have to give it a shot later this week. Just did the Indy and SSR5 events under the Seasonal races last night. Ran SSR5 twice and only managed a second place, so I'll have to redo that. Indy was easy, but I already had the full customizable gearbox, which is essential unless you like sitting on the rev limiter for 15 seconds on the straightaway.
I took a stab at the Seasonal Events last night. I couldn't catch up to the 1st place Audi in the Fiat 500/Tsukuba race, but can get 2nd without breaking a sweat. The CR-Z/Tokyo R-246 and RX-7/Deep Forest races weren't hard, and the Challenger/Indy Road Course one wasn't difficult, either, once throttle control and the course were learned. :D

The time trials were a different bag. I am/I was sitting 123rd overall in the 370Z/Tsukuba timetrial, with 1:06.3, iirc, but I'm way, way off the pace in the FF/Cape and FR/Rome time trials, as in 7000th and 13000th or something awful like that. Any tips on the hot car to use for the FF and FR trials?

Also, you guys know about this, right? https://us.gran-turismo.com/us/gt5/user/ Right now it's not super useful (stats and log basically) but might be more so in the future. It's interesting to see game data merge with the web like this, imo.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I took a stab at the Seasonal Events last night. I couldn't catch up to the 1st place Audi in the Fiat 500/Tsukuba race, but can get 2nd without breaking a sweat. The CR-Z/Tokyo R-246 and RX-7/Deep Forest races weren't hard, and the Challenger/Indy Road Course one wasn't difficult, either, once throttle control and the course were learned. :D

The time trials were a different bag. I am/I was sitting 123rd overall in the 370Z/Tsukuba timetrial, with 1:06.3, iirc, but I'm way, way off the pace in the FF/Cape and FR/Rome time trials, as in 7000th and 13000th or something awful like that. Any tips on the hot car to use for the FF and FR trials?

Also, you guys know about this, right? https://us.gran-turismo.com/us/gt5/user/ Right now it's not super useful (stats and log basically) but might be more so in the future. It's interesting to see game data merge with the web like this, imo.
You can view the leader boards to see what others are using in the time trials as I recall.

I had a similar experience with the races. Still have to go back and win the Tsukuba event. Like you said, second is easy but I'm a good ways off of first. I'd like to think it's possible without mods to the 500, but I'm not convinced.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There are no mods that you can do within the rules, besides suspension and gearing. Speaking of that, I'm going to do both of those: dial in a ton of negative camber and gear those 65 hp so short that I top out 5th gear on the short Tsukuba straight. I do know of one guy who beat it... by 0.034 seconds. :D

Viewing the GT Academy time trial cars/standings would be great but I can't find such a thing: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/academy/ ???

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
There are no mods that you can do within the rules, besides suspension and gearing. Speaking of that, I'm going to do both of those: dial in a ton of negative camber and gear those 65 hp so short that I top out 5th gear on the short Tsukuba straight. I do know of one guy who beat it... by 0.034 seconds. :D
suspension, tranny and drivetrain.
its super easy to do once you do that. turn the top speed up 3-4 clicks and youll have enough speed on the back straight.

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
It took me 5 tries to get the Fiat race gold. Fitting a close ratio 5 speed made a difference but the most important thing I found was smooth cornering and good exit speed. Laps needed to be in the 1:20.XXX. range. If you're under 5 seconds back starting the final lap , you can catch him !

I caught the Audi on the last tight hairpin but didn't pass him until the final corner.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
185th/348th/156th in the three GT Academy time trials as of tonight. I also beat the Fiat and GT-R seasonal events. That GT-R one was a tough one. Took doing consistent 1'28" laps to catch the 1st place Ford GT.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Still battling away at that stupid Fiat event. Usually right around 1 second off of first. Always have one lap that's into the 1'21s when I catch some traffic awkwardly.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Still battling away at that stupid Fiat event. Usually right around 1 second off of first. Always have one lap that's into the 1'21s when I catch some traffic awkwardly.
did you do all the upgrades? it should be easy once you do that and increase the tranny's top speed a few clicks up

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
did you do all the upgrades? it should be easy once you do that and increase the tranny's top speed a few clicks up
Went to the fully customizable gearbox and lowered the top speed all the way in hopes of improving acceleration a bit. Other than that just added the sports suspension.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Went to the fully customizable gearbox and lowered the top speed all the way in hopes of improving acceleration a bit. Other than that just added the sports suspension.
you dont need the acceleration, so increase the top speed for the back straight. two clicks faster than stock is what i did. i tried lowering the top speed like you did, but you cant go fast enough on the straights.
i also installed the best clutch and best flywheel too. it helps with the low speed accelerations.
with this setup, you should catch 1st place by the 4th lap somewhere :thumb:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
you dont need the acceleration, so increase the top speed for the back straight. two clicks faster than stock is what i did. i tried lowering the top speed like you did, but you cant go fast enough on the straights.
i also installed the best clutch and best flywheel too. it helps with the low speed accelerations.
with this setup, you should catch 1st place by the 4th lap somewhere :thumb:
Interesting. For the Fiat? Seems like the whole thing is accelerating out of slow corners and I'm not even close to topping out 5th. Just seems counterintuitive to go to taller gearing, but I'll give it a shot. And I'll definitely do the clutch and flywheel.

On a separate note...anyone hate racing at the Nurburgring? Entered the GT All Stars race there in the Toyota Minolta and it's SO hard to get around anyone because it's so narrow. And the cars are so fast if you touch anyone it's pretty much all over. Love doing laps there. Not so fond of the racing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i thought making the gears shorter would help, but it just doesnt give you the top speed you need on the straights.
i do the clutch and flywheel on every car i modify since it helps so much and is cheap. its especially helpful with the under powered cars and at slow speeds.

i used the Toyota Minolta too and sometimes you just need to get a little aggressive to get around the people at the Ring during that race. once you do, it should be smooth sailing. i increased downforce just a bit on the front and rear too, to help with the high speed cornering.