Quantcast

Grand Junction ride ideas

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Hey Coloradians,
I'm comin out in october and have plans to ride Moab, Fruita and some shuttles in GJ. I know Moab and Fruita really well but am unfamiliar with Grand Junction. I'm looking for some good ride ideas in the GJ area. We will have multiple cars so shuttling is a go. Most will be on 5 or 6 inch bikes but we're all decent riders. Any direction will most appreciated and if anyone wants to ride, we'll be in GJ the 15 and 16 of October. Thanks!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You *must* hit Holy Cross. And the Ribbon as previously mentioned. And if you're shuttling, ride the Tabaguache Trail down to the start of Holy Cross - you could haul some serious a$$ on that jeep road and it's nice and rough and rocky. :thumb:

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Gunny Loop is really fun too! If you do the ribbon, might as well connect it to Andys Loop and ride to the bottom.....

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Thanks all, it seems there is a ton of trail in the Ribbon area. Do you think we could dedicate a whole day to that area??

shroomtoon

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
As mentioned hit up the Holy Cross trail for sure. I just got back from a similar road trip and loved riding that trail on my Preston. All the trails in that area are well cared for, which was nice to see.

It was something like 100F but I still had fun. Coming from sea level in Oly, WA it was quite a workout though.

Hey locals.. How's the riding up in Grand Mesa? I know the mushroom picking was good when I was there.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Thats funny, I'll be rockin the preston as well. Might throw some single ply tires on for Fruita but it seems GJ has a bunch of trail where dual plys will be needed. I can't wait to ride out west again!!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Thats funny, I'll be rockin the preston as well. Might throw some single ply tires on for Fruita but it seems GJ has a bunch of trail where dual plys will be needed. I can't wait to ride out west again!!
"Needed"? Not really. I ride all that Junction stuff with an NRS with standard XC tires.

No I suppose if you want to ride that stuff at mach-3 with 15 lbs of pressure in your tires... :D

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
No I suppose if you want to ride that stuff at mach-3 with 15 lbs of pressure in your tires... :D[/QUOTE]

You got it, I likes to go fast...... :rockout:

shroomtoon

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
TMyer,

I wish I had a lighter Preston build for that area.. As mentioned, climbing on the main trail up was a pain in the butt but once I got up that hill it was well worth the ride/push up..

My preston has the coil swinger w/ 07 Z1 and some beefy tires. Back here in the PNW I like it for hardcore freeride, but sometimes wish I had an air shock to lighten things up a little.

I've put quite a few miles on my Preston. Experience says bring those D ply tires.. You won't have to worry about pinch flats when your hauling a**.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
TMyer,

I wish I had a lighter Preston build for that area.. As mentioned, climbing on the main trail up was a pain in the butt but once I got up that hill it was well worth the ride/push up..

My preston has the coil swinger w/ 07 Z1 and some beefy tires. Back here in the PNW I like it for hardcore freeride, but sometimes wish I had an air shock to lighten things up a little.

I've put quite a few miles on my Preston. Experience says bring those D ply tires.. You won't have to worry about pinch flats when your hauling a**.
Mine is built a bit different, DHX air and a float 36 R, it weighs in around 33lbs with dual ply's and regular tubes. What area are you referring to, the Holy Cross? Thanks

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I was wondering if he was referring to the Holy Cross trail but thanks for the useless post....... :disgust:
You won't haul much ass on the Holy Cross trail - it's just a bunch of fun technical stuff... for the most part low speed. You might want the dual-plys for the Tabaguache and maybe Eagle's wing... and it might not be a bad idea on the Ribbon if you're into "improvising" fun lines.

Sorry for the useless post. :p

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
You won't haul much ass on the Holy Cross trail - it's just a bunch of fun technical stuff... for the most part low speed. You might want the dual-plys for the Tabaguache and maybe Eagle's wing... and it might not be a bad idea on the Ribbon if you're into "improvising" fun lines.

Sorry for the useless post. :p
Man I'm a d@ck sometimes. Appreciate the info. Any other epic rides you suggest? We'll be in Moab for the day to do the extended Porcupine shuttle since all of the guys I'm with have never done it. Then Fruita to hit up the usual stuff (bookcliffs) and then two days in GJ.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Man I'm a d@ck sometimes. Appreciate the info. Any other epic rides you suggest? We'll be in Moab for the day to do the extended Porcupine shuttle since all of the guys I'm with have never done it. Then Fruita to hit up the usual stuff (bookcliffs) and then two days in GJ.
Have you done Moore Fun? Must do in the Loma area.

I misread your post about Holy Cross. That was actually my fault, not yours.

Dick. :D