Quantcast

granite tors, or "alaska's stonehenge" (lotsa pics, beware)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
a tale in photos:

it started out as a hot day. being typically absent minded i forgot the sunscreen (altho i did remember the bug spray! that phone cord thing around my right arm is also bug repellant). my status at 1:11 PM - i left the trailhead at noon:

another hour and a half's exertion brought me above the treeline. the trail is marked with rock cairns from this point on up:

a view from the trail. the white spot about an inch below the horizon 3/4 of the way to the right is where i started from :dead:

finally at the tors, 3:30 into the hike!

now it's 4:18 PM. i've lost the trail once already, and am still a good 7 miles away from the car...

... so i manage to get lost again to make things more interesting. bushwhacked for probably 45 minutes -- the trail gets kinda hazy in regions that have been burnt to a crisp :mad: . this was snapped at arms length shortly before finding the trail again. note lack of trail in this photo, and somewhat annoyed expression. 5:50 into the hike at this point:

i then proceeded to run out of water (my fault), find a fast moving stream (so hopefully no giardia for me! i drank it unfiltered), and make it back to the car safely.

stats:
- 15 miles/24 km + whatever extra off the trail
- 7h 40m
- 2700 vertical feet
- 3 bloody toenails (are my boots too big or small? hmm), despite using superfeet insoles and good smartwool hiking socks
- quite a sunburn developing, i fear, visible in that last "lost" shot
- tracks listened to: entire "narlus" playlist; ravel string quartet in F; debussy nocturnes; radiohead's the bends, kid a, and ok computer; bach's goldberg variations with glenn gould at the keys.

guess that's about it :thumb: :trophy_br

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
blue said:
You look so...stoic. :p

Awesome pics! Where in Alaska is that? My boss was just up there flyfishing for ten days...
chena river state recreation area, about an hour east of fairbanks. and, yeah, this hike had a lot of pain involved with it. not much reason to be grinning madly into the lens :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm surprised you would listen to "kid A".

I can't listen to it the whole way through.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
stevew said:
I'm surprised you would listen to "kid A".

I can't listen to it the whole way through.
i quite like it actually. radiohead is nothing if not technically proficient, the classical musician's pop band even if that's damning them with faint praise

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Leethal said:
How about some information on the phone cord bug repellant? I hate sprays... could use an alternative.
i'm not convinced that it worked. still had to refresh with a non-deet spray periodically. then again, fairbanks is notorious for its mosquitos and i was out there for just shy of 8 hours...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Toshi said:
i quite like it actually. radiohead is nothing if not technically proficient, the classical musician's pop band even if that's damning them with faint praise
i'm a fan as well.

Awesome stuff Toshi, i was unaware of that rock formation. i did visit the Chena Hot Springs, but it's almost like a public spa, not very natural there at all.

At any rate i won't afford you any sympathy since it's common knowledge here that hiking sucks. i mean really all that downhill wasted....:wonky2:

If in Fairbanks look for Hot Licks Ice Cream. yummy...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
yeah, i hope so too! so far my pants have stayed dry with ease :think: . but if i got giardia not only could i be a little bit more like you but also like john tomac! of course, giardia kinda marked the end of his racing career so i guess it's not that great of a thing. i did make sure to avoid the stagnant water, and grabbed my share from a miniature waterfall of sorts.

Skookum, i bought two pints at hot licks last week. :thumb: and, sadly, this whole trail was no bikes, no motorized transport. heading down it would have been fun in places, but all in all i think it would have been more frustrating.

what i was daydreaming about today is carrying an off-road scooter type thing up in my pack. that'd make the descents a lot more entertaining, and might still be quasi-legal... :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sweet shots, toshi. you stripped the EXIF data for us geeks. :(

getting lost on a trail sucks. not my idea of fun, but glad you got out ok. and glad to see my playlist got some service. :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
sweet shots, toshi. you stripped the EXIF data for us geeks. :(

getting lost on a trail sucks. not my idea of fun, but glad you got out ok. and glad to see my playlist got some service. :)
EXIF is lost in translation: card reader, RAW format -> Adobe Lightroom beta for processing (no photoshop necessary if you get the exposure, curves, color right at this step!) -> Apple iPhoto -> BetterHTMLExport to make the gallery.

in any case the EXIF are uniformly easy for this batch: 12mm, Manual mode, 1/100, f/16, ISO 100 ("sunny 16"), +/- flash at -1/3. lots of pushing and pulling in conversion tho, just not on camera.