Quantcast

Graphene OS, has anyone tried it?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was interested in the new Volla phone but the cameras will be worse than the Pixel I have now, so I started looking at De-Googled Android.
After a quick search, GrapheneOS looks like a pretty decent option.

Has anyone tried it or anything else worth having a look at?
No I don't want an iPhone and I have used Sailfish but I haven't had any luck with midrange Sony phones so I gave up on it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
i'm about to give up on smartphones and get a jitterbug
I've considered digging out, rooting and replacing the hard drives in the old ipods. I don't use the phone much for anything except surfing teh :monkey: at work and music, and all this "smart" technology has become so pernicious that it's starting to make sense to me to ditch it.

Oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Am I the only person that thought this would be about an Absolute Black OverSize Graphene pulley or something?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've considered digging out, rooting and replacing the hard drives in the old ipods. I don't use the phone much for anything except surfing teh :monkey: at work and music, and all this "smart" technology has become so pernicious that it's starting to make sense to me to ditch it.

Oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
My TV hasn't been connected to the internet for a couple of years, figured I'd see if there was an update that would make it look less 1990's.
Seems there was an update and there was an agreement for all of the snazzy LG "Services", it said you could agree to each one individually but that was a lie, it was all or nothing.
It's pretty nuts that you can't just buy a TV and that's the end of the deal, but no, they have to make money off you post purchase.

For a phone I need to be able to use Android Apps for my multimeter, amp clamp and thermal camera, they will hopefully work as sandboxed apps. If not I can just put an old phone in my electrical bag.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
There would be a strong market, I think, for dumb and secure phones.
Yeah it seems to be the current trend for the organic, locovore, tiny home tribe.
There's lots of dumb phones on the market, there's some decent sounding e-ink phones out there.

How secure they all are, I'm not sure.