Quantcast

Graphic Artists... Quark

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Looks like Quark has another new logo. I guess they realized the other one sucked enough to make yet another one... I still wish they woul have stuck to the old one, but thats just me. It looks a bit like the monster.com eye logo.

Quark is on the brink of launching 7. I may wait a bit to buy it. Though I have been using quark since its original version and am quite efficient with it, last week I broke down and ordered the Adobe CS Premium which includes the new ID. I'm actually excited to get my hands dirty with ID, from what I hear it has some great features and works super well with Illustrator and PS.

Oh and for JD I just wanted to say... Manitou, Tompson, WTB, bike, bike, and Singlespeed, huck, Spoke, HID, singletrack, berm, and last but not least, bonk.

EDIT: for loco... supermodel, boobs, drama, drama, & sink.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I just got an email with the new logo, but click on the link and you still see the plagiarized logo. Losers.

I'm finally going to start moving to InDesign...

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
Stay the fuq out then. You don't have to be in EVERY thread...
Take it to gheyassgraphicsdesignersmonkey.com if you don't like it, c*nt. :mumble:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I migrated to InDesign over three years ago and haven't looked back even for a second. I'm not going to tell you it's better than Quark or kicks it's @ss, but it is a great app that does everything you are EVER going to need it to do, and the integration with the rest of CS is really handy. PLUS they don't have a plagarized logo!

EDIT for JD: InDesign was really helpful last week, designing the Mountain States Cup Race Companion: for our regional series we put out a 32 page booklet with info on every race in the series, including course descriptions and schedules when available. Not that I couldn't do it in Quark, but like I said - I've been an InDesign guy for over 3 years and there's no stopping. It'd be like going back to a fully rigid bike after sampling the sweetness of good full suspension!

EDIT for Loco: I definitely tried to get some photos of hot chicks, drama AND sinks in the book this year... the promoters wanted to make the book as exciting as possible, and not as text-heavy as last year...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I have just started the process of migrating to ID myself. It has been downright painful. I swear it took me 10x as long to design a rinky-dink brochure. I know that I need to get my ass in gear and switch, but I can get work done so much faster in Quark.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Let me quote the printing. My boss (owner of company) is a bike buff and races road and XC. I work in the pre-press department so its not like im making a commission or anything. We have a 5 color Heidelberg speedmaster and a 2 color Heidelberg perfector, inhouse folding and saddlestitching ETC. No sales tax and shipping is pretty cheap.

anyway, Indd absolutely kicks quarks ass. I was forced to learn indd cause a large majority of our clients made the switch. From the production side, Indd is far superior. I could easily rattle off numerous examples. Can't believe it took me soo long to switch over.

As simple & straight forward & no frills as it is, Quark didn't get V6.5 right. How in the heck am i to believe that 7 will be better? It won't. Quark 4 days were greatness but the world is faster and that program just doesnt cut it anymore.

joel

Full Trucker said:
I migrated to InDesign over three years ago and haven't looked back even for a second. I'm not going to tell you it's better than Quark or kicks it's @ss, but it is a great app that does everything you are EVER going to need it to do, and the integration with the rest of CS is really handy. PLUS they don't have a plagarized logo!

EDIT for JD: InDesign was really helpful last week, designing the Mountain States Cup Race Companion: for our regional series we put out a 32 page booklet with info on every race in the series, including course descriptions and schedules when available. Not that I couldn't do it in Quark, but like I said - I've been an InDesign guy for over 3 years and there's no stopping. It'd be like going back to a fully rigid bike after sampling the sweetness of good full suspension!

EDIT for Loco: I definitely tried to get some photos of hot chicks, drama AND sinks in the book this year... the promoters wanted to make the book as exciting as possible, and not as text-heavy as last year...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Jimmy_Pop said:
Let me quote the printing. My boss (owner of company) is a bike buff and races road and XC. I work in the pre-press department so its not like im making a commission or anything. We have a 5 color Heidelberg speedmaster and a 2 color Heidelberg perfector, inhouse folding and saddlestitching ETC. No sales tax and shipping is pretty cheap.

anyway, Indd absolutely kicks quarks ass. I was forced to learn indd cause a large majority of our clients made the switch. From the production side, Indd is far superior. I could easily rattle off numerous examples. Can't believe it took me soo long to switch over.

As simple & straight forward & no frills as it is, Quark didn't get V6.5 right. How in the heck am i to believe that 7 will be better? It won't. Quark 4 days were greatness but the world is faster and that program just doesnt cut it anymore.

joel
I love how so many people I know that made the switch were "forced" to do so in some way... even me, really! We made the decision at the firm that I was at that we were going to migrate to OS-X and we just thought it was LAME that Quark wasn't carbonized at the time, so we figured what the heck, we're already switching operating systems, let's just get the dang thing done. Like I said, never looked back.

As for the printing of that book, man if I had only known! That thing is already at a local vendor and in production as we speak!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
golgiaparatus said:
...Adobe CS Premium which includes the new ID. I'm actually excited to get my hands dirty with ID...
Don't use the mutliply/transparency or drop shadow features. The results are inconsistent and too often don't even work to high-end color proofers or going to plate :mumble:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
LordOpie said:
Don't use the mutliply/transparency or drop shadow features. The results are inconsistent and too often don't even work to high-end color proofers or going to plate :mumble:
You know, that kinda bugs me about InD, really... I know that using the multiply feature IS inconsistent, but in reality isn't it basically just like setting an objects attributes to overprint? And that works pretty well, so I don't see what the deal is! Dang! As far as the drop shado feature goes, I've used that in both spot color and 4C situations and sent it it to several different vendors and never had an issue...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
then you need to educate me, cuz I work in a pretty sophisticated shop, using a PDF workflow system with PitStop, and we've had a hell of a time getting consistent results between plate rip, DocuColor12, DC6060, iGen, and PDF proofs.