Quantcast

Graphic Design Monkeys - Let's See Your Work

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice work, as usual.

I wish I had an ounce of creative design talent. I wouldn't do web design again full-time but it sure was a nice side income. I just can't compete, though - back end coding isn't enough anymore. 10 years ago it was.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Nice work, as usual.

I wish I had an ounce of creative design talent. I wouldn't do web design again full-time but it sure was a nice side income. I just can't compete, though - back end coding isn't enough anymore. 10 years ago it was.
Thanks!

The very, very left brained dude that runs our web division is very confused when I pop in and ask "How are the intarwebs today?" :biggrin:

I'm becoming a dinosaur as any decent paying job now requires web experience. :crossroads:

C'mon designers, let's see some work. Good, bad, whatever. This could become a great forum for design monkeys.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I used to enjoy design work, then I had a horrible instructor at school that killed my interest. The only good design ideas were hers, so by the end of a project everyone in the class had very similar pieces:plthumbsdown:

So now I work in design but a different medium, dirt and snow.

Your stuff is great I would love to see more.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
That stuff looks so good!!

I'd like to get better at design stuff....putting text and images together more creatively.
I'm rebuilding my site. If you haven't seen the current one, it's pretty cluttered for how simple it is. The new design is a lot cleaner. It will also have my own blog/news instead of blogger, and will have portfolios. I've been thinking about getting into some web design work.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'd like to get better at design stuff....putting text and images together more creatively.
I think I came into the business at the right time when we were still cutting "ruby", shooting our own film on stat cameras, using non repo blue pens/pencils and waiting two weeks for color separations to be sent back.

It made the transition into Photoshop layers and channels easy even though I was always just gonna be an airbrush illustrator... Maybe when I retire, I'll be on the beach somewhere airbrushing T-shirts...

I was also lucky to have worked with some OGs that were way into great typography, color theory and craftsmanship. Sadly, I work with only one guy these days that believes in taking pen to paper do develop an idea before even sitting in front of a Mac. I recommend that exercise to any serious designer. That and the study of Art Director Annuals from the 60s and 70s as great type and clear communication was never better IMO.

Rant over, but more to come.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I was pro for a few years, well freelance actually. Then decided that design bored me.
It's like being a real painter, (which I'm not, but tried) I, instead love visual communication and get paid trying to make it better. I'll prolly die kerning a headline.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think I came into the business at the right time when we were still cutting "ruby", shooting our own film on stat cameras, using non repo blue pens/pencils and waiting two weeks for color separations to be sent back.

It made the transition into Photoshop layers and channels easy even though I was always just gonna be an airbrush illustrator... Maybe when I retire, I'll be on the beach somewhere airbrushing T-shirts...

I was also lucky to have worked with some OGs that were way into great typography, color theory and craftsmanship. Sadly, I work with only one guy these days that believes in taking pen to paper do develop an idea before even sitting in front of a Mac. I recommend that exercise to any serious designer. That and the study of Art Director Annuals from the 60s and 70s as great type and clear communication was never better IMO.

Rant over, but more to come.
The old way of doing graphic design sounds like a huge pain in the ass, with the film, seperations, etc.

Yeah, drawing by hand always helps. When I have ideas for things, I draw them in a sketch pad to make that idea more solid.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I really like your clean catalog layouts!

Here's a web calendar I made...http://mediabypb.com/08calendar/

I used the California flag colors and layed out the top similarly to the old flag, but with a bike and different text. It would probably look cleaner if I had red text and the photos were black and white instead of sepia, but I like the sepia.

Last edited:

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
When I was a graphic design major in college it was triangle, tee square, Exacto knife and Rapidograph pen. Never pursued a job in the field. I did enjoy painting and here was one of my favorite efforts from that period. It's currently hanging in my computer/music/bike parts room.

Last edited:

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Here are a couple pendants I did recently. They are cut out of acrylic. Had a good time making them.

This is a logo that I created not to long ago.

This is an ad that I created for a hospitality periodical.

Just having a bit of fun here.

I work in-house for Quoizel lighting so most of my work is centered around them. I work as a contractor painint apartments on the weekends and in the evenings so freelance is hard to keep steady.
Sorry for the thumbnail views. I am in the process of redoing my portfolio, lay offs have started here at work, and those are what I had here with me.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Silly end of the world concept art. This is after the LHC lets zombies into our world from another dimension.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It's great to see nice renderings are still being pulled off. I remember back in the day how proud I was to have a complete set of Design markers at home and work. I need to start drawing more again.

Anyway, step it up Monkeys and show the goodness! Here's one of many projects I did for Barrett-Jackson earlier in the year:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO

Battery that I have been working on for the opening flash page of my new website.
It should be pretty bad ass.
Inspiration from the iphone battery meter

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Battery that I have been working on for the opening flash page of my new website.
It should be pretty bad ass.
Inspiration from the iphone battery meter
Awesome job on the illustration, but it's copied. Nice eye for detail, but make it your own.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Used the tutorial to gain more info. I am working on a new one now.
Like I said your technical skills are there, and you'll put me out of a job one day soon, but you can make it recognizable to Apple's look and keep it as your own.

Keep up the nice work!

Is that all vector?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Like I said your technical skills are there, and you'll put me out of a job one day soon, but you can make it recognizable to Apple's look and keep it as your own.

Keep up the nice work!

Is that all vector?
Yes.
I will post my final results soon.
Yes it is all vector. Took forever.
I have a lot of other stuff from the home business that will be on my website soon enough.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've started working on web magazines at the new gig. The ones where you click on the page curl and it flips the page for ya. I like the technology, and it's getting even better.

I'll post the results when it goes live, but in the mean time I'd like to see some Monkey art!

:cheers: