Quantcast

graphic design : popping colors during printing

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
so I'm making a Thanksgiving Day card for a large corporate client.

They've been using a lot of foil in recent years and want something different.

I'm using a mountain scene in Autumn, I popped the saturation and did a water color effect on one proposal... they liked it the best.

Since we're already doing a blind emboss for their logo, I'm trying to talk them out of using foil... the ideas are just too tacky.

In an effort to compensate for the lack of foil, I thought I might try putting metallic flakes in the yellow ink of the CMYK build, but my pressman thinks that won't work well. He suggested doing a spot varnish, but then looked at the rough draft and thinks -- for protection purporses -- that we'll need to varnish the whole photo.

Maybe mix in a little transparent white into the yellow? Maybe mix in a little gold metallic ink into the yellow?

So, any suggestions on how to get the ambers, oranges and such from the mountain scene to pop?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I thought the title said "Popping Collars During Printing".........to which I was going to recommend PMing ManhattanProject(PoppedCollar)191hdf3

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Fluorescent... interesting.
I used to print at a shop that did custom work for museums. SF MOMA, Chicago MOCA, etc.

Tough stuff to reproduce on a shirt. Most patrons are VERY familiar with the work. It had to be spot on.

We did one Roy De Forest piece that needed the yellows and oranges to really pop. After some struggling we mixed a 50/50 batch of fleuro yellow and proc yellow. It really did the trick.

This was the piece. It was very vibrant in person.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Spot gloss varnish in areas?

Foil's tackilicious.

Edit: Read the rest of the post. The pressman's right, but make make him earn his money and don't do a flood.