Quantcast

graphic design : problem : please help ASAP

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm sending a file to our iGen, Creo6060, and Docucolor12 and getting the same problem on all three...

Characters randomly don't show up.

Have you heard of such a thing?

More info... taking an indesign file, PDFing it, placing it into indesign for pagination -- going four up for a small 28 page booklet. My only guess is it relating to opentype font. I've not used opentype before, but that's my guess.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Why would you PDF an ID file, then bring back into ID?

It's only 28 pages, manually paginate in Acrobat and print from there.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
pixelninja said:
If you think its the fonts, have you tried converting them to outlines before converting the doc to PDF?
I'm trying that now, but I'm hoping to get a definitive answer so I can prevent it in the future and since we've already printed the project, if I can tell my boss it was the client's supplied font, he can negotiate a re-print fee with the client.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
stinkyboy said:
Why would you PDF an ID file, then bring back into ID?

It's only 28 pages, manually paginate in Acrobat and print from there.
My thoughts exactly. I wish we had an iGen.

As for the font thing... Id say yeah... its probably a compatability problem between the font and the rip, I'd do what PN said and call it good. Maybe your rip needs to be updated eh?

BTW if I supplied a font to a vendor and they didnt know it wasnt compatable and printed it anyway without noticing that there was a problem until the job had already been completed… and then had the nerve to call me and ask for more money I'd drop trou, crap in an envelope marked "payment" and mail it to them promptly... but thats just how I deal with my vendors. They love me.

P.S. What iGen do you have? I havent seen anything off the 3 yet and I am curious to find someone who has.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
golgiaparatus said:
why the hell didnt the guy running the press notice that there was a problem right away?
I did a press check a couple weeks ago at a small shop, and I walk out on the press floor, and almost everyone is smoking cigarettes. I thought it was 1940...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So it appears the problem was isolated to the font they supplied and just the letter "I", just the capital "i", not even the lower case.

I've had three projects from hell today... all had problems, all rush/hot/immediate/do-it-fvcking-now projects.

I'm gonna go get tore up.