Quantcast

Graphic Design Vendor rant

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So I sent a collected Quark file to our banner vendor for a 30foot X 8foot banner.

They call and tell me they don’t support Quark.

Uhh, seriously?

So I send them a PDF.

They call again and ask if I can convert the fonts to outline. I’m like, “did I forget to embed the fonts?” Unlikely as I’ve got my PDF settings tweaked.

“No, they’re embedded, but we need to adjust color and when we open it in Illustrator, the font gets replaced.” I explain how a neat little program called “PitStop” is pretty much necessary for a PDF workflow system. Do they have that? Nope.

I said, “So you don’t support Quark, you require a PDF, but don’t have a PDF workflow system?”

My vendor got pissed :D

She said, “You’re creating more work than we should have to do, can you just send the PDF with fonts outlined?”

I said I could, but I’d appreciate it if they’d just use the fonts that I originally sent with the quark file. Please call me if there are further issues.

Apparently, my company’s had this issue with this vendor all along, but if they want my business, they’re going to have to stop sucking so much.

Thanks for letting me rant :)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I hear ya. I have a couple mom and pop shops that don't have even email accounts. I have to send out for film for them. Cheap, but more than 2 color jobs escape them.

Last week I "stuffed" a PDF and sent it to a Mac based printer and it took about 20 minutes to explain the situation to this prepress moron because he did not know what a sitx file was. Finally I just blurted loudly: "Double click the $@%&ing thing!"

His repsponse: "Oh, OK"

Click.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
lol @ loud blurt

Your vendor didn't get upset?

How are these shops functioning?

If my boss wasn't friends with the owner of the other shop, I would've fired my vendor. Sad thing is, that owner knows his crew isn't that good, but he can't afford to hire quality people... downward spiral.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Your vendor didn't get upset?
Some recent crappy art school graduate that works at a quick print shop getting mad at me? ROFL!

I have a reputation for being hard to work with, and don't mind raising my voice to whoever and some people don't like dealing with me, but my employer knows that at the end of the day the projects are done on time and go to press without problems.

It's just hard for me to work with mousey or incompetent people when so much is expected from me.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I just got a call from a client saying the finished printed piece had roller marks on it and she asked: "Did you put roller marks on the PDF file?"

:bonk: :clue: :rant: :banghead: :shocked:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I just got a call from a client saying the finished printed piece had roller marks on it and she asked: "Did you put roller marks on the PDF file?"

:bonk: :clue: :rant: :banghead: :shocked:
awesome.

but seriously, how/why would an ignorant client say that? Sounds to me like someone was passing blame and told her some garbage to get rid of her.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
awesome.

but seriously, how/why would an ignorant client say that? Sounds to me like someone was passing blame and told her some garbage to get rid of her.
Definitely. It sure as hell wouldn't be the stoned pressman who's just worked two shifts back to back.

This is where Stinkyboy kicks in. I slowly and logically explained to my client what must have happened. She understands and is cool, but stressed about her deadline. I told her I'll "get it straightened out". I have a call into the print shop...

:rant: