Quantcast

Graphic Designers

May 12, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
Hey just checking to see what kind of creative people are on Ride Monkey these days...... We are looking for a few good graphic designers for an online mag we are launching.

If you have any design skills, post your work below and I will send you a private message if I like your work.

If your not interested, post your work anyways, it's always fun to see good designs. Thanks!

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
What kind of sample work do you want? Do you want stuff I've made from scratch in photoshop, or would you rather see something that i've put together in a newspaper or something?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

Original, then stained glass window

original

edited

One guy didn't like it and it somehow blew up

From google earth, but edited to current state

Plans for more jumps

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
:rofl:
It's a bunch of random stuff i've had in my photobucket. Some may remeber stuff like darth wilson and the diamond/ice cube things from older threads. :D

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
a logo i made for myself and some buddies who want to start a local clothing line:

for a local car club:

my buddies adult baseball league....dont ask:

i have some more things i just have to find them...i also just designed this website for my dad, including logo design and theme:

www.blackbirdaudio.com

PM me or email me at Domin8@gmail.com if you want more/ are interested. i'll check in on the thread as well.

-Nate

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
wikitypooshlag said:
would this be volunteer work? or is there some kind of compensation involved?
This project is starting off as volunteer, but is going to offer a tons of exposure/industry benifits...Im stoked on it...

manhattanprjkt83 said:
This project is starting off as volunteer, but is going to offer a tons of exposure/industry benifits...Im stoked on it...
you gotta great website there. you mostly do photography and web design? Looks like you know typography as well. you do alittle graphic design? If not, we should team up. I'm a graphic artist knowing some web design but nothing in extreme coding. Check out my website. www.jamesmabery.com Haven't updated in like 6 months so I've got alot more designs that I've done here recent if you'd like me to send you some. Now, I'm working at a university in the public affairs as the graphic artist. It's all I do man. hollar at me

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
jamasonbmbry said:
you gotta great website there. you mostly do photography and web design? Looks like you know typography as well. you do alittle graphic design? If not, we should team up. I'm a graphic artist knowing some web design but nothing in extreme coding. Check out my website. www.jamesmabery.com Haven't updated in like 6 months so I've got alot more designs that I've done here recent if you'd like me to send you some. Now, I'm working at a university in the public affairs as the graphic artist. It's all I do man. hollar at me
Thanks man, much appreciated, started it about a year ago in college and had no direction as to where I wanted to take it. I have a day job that takes up a bunch of my time so it doesn’t get updated nearly as often as I would like...I’m going to completely redo it in the coming months (alot more pro look)...I dabble in graphic design as well as the coding aspect...still not what I would like to call competent...

Back to the thread subject so we dont derail brandon's sh1t, if you are looking for some exposure this thing is going to be killer, i am going to be working as a photog/writer for him at events occuring on this side of the country...:thumb:

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
it would be nice if you could give us a sample project you know, something like what we would have to do for you so you can see hwo we handle it and our styles...I just dont have much background experience but would like to make a portfolio you know?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wow, this is like a low budget ebay for designers. I cannot see any good coming out of this.

For those heckling the guys who posted....this guy posts on a random bicycle message board about looking for a professional designer...what did you expect?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
Wow, this is like a low budget ebay for designers. I cannot see any good coming out of this.

For those heckling the guys who posted....this guy posts on a random bicycle message board about looking for a professional designer...what did you expect?
Transcend, are you saying that you dont see any good coming out of the project, or the way he is trying to atract tallent? I have talked to brandon about it and it seems like a good solid effort...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Transcend said:
It may be a great effort, but if you want a professional designer, this is not how you are going to find one.
It doesn't appear to me that the original poster is expecting professional, industry guys. It looks to me like he's just seeking creative individuals who are willing to contribute to get their work seen.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:
It doesn't appear to me that the original poster is expecting professional, industry guys. It looks to me like he's just seeking creative individuals who are willing to contribute to get their work seen.
you got it...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
It may be a great effort, but if you want a professional designer, this is not how you are going to find one.
I think he might be able to drum up some talent with this meathod, i have seen some guys design stuff that is really killer and they are'nt "professional" persay...but they are, do you know what i mean?

Transcend said:

Really, Well I've been designing for alittle more than 3 years now plus freelance with a degree and I'm not a professional? Hum, well I guess you should think about what you say before posting your thoughts. Just because he posted some design jobs doesn't mean that he'll be able to find a "professional". Some of your best designers lurk in strange places. Look at David Carson and see how he came around. He is one of the best of the century in graphic design. You know who he is? If not, google him.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Transcend said:
Well, there ARE professionals on this type of site. But the key word that is going to prevent him from finding anyone with any true talent is "Volunteer." Because a real professional isn't going to give a damn about exposure and by now in their career they're going to be fed up with cheap people from ad agencies to their best friends wanting graphic design work for peanuts or for FREE for the exposure. That's just the typical cheap person looking to prey on starving graphic artists because they don't want to pay for their services. So I would say he's not looking for Volunteer work, I'd say it's more along the lines of Violinteer work. :nopity:

I wouldn't touch it for under $30/hr minimum, no matter who was the client.

Anyone can learn a software program. But to design well you need a seasoned designer.

But they might get lucky. Never know. Lots of starving artists to choose from out there.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Chunky Munkey said:
Well, there ARE professionals on this type of site. See my work below. But the key word that is going to prevent him from finding anyone with any true talent is "Volunteer." Because a real professional isn't going to give a damn about exposure and by now in their career they're going to be fed up with cheap people from ad agencies to their best friends wanting graphic design work for peanuts or for FREE for the exposure. That's just the typical cheap person looking to prey on starving graphic artists because they don't want to pay for their services. So I would say he's not looking for Volunteer work, I'd say it's more along the lines of Violinteer work. :nopity:

I wouldn't touch it for under $30/hr minimum, no matter who was the client.
That was pretty much the point of my post. If you want a professional, ie: someone who gets paid to do this for a living, you won't get it by posting on a bike forum looking for volunteers.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
jamasonbmbry said:
Really, Well I've been designing for alittle more than 3 years now plus freelance with a degree and I'm not a professional? Hum, well I guess you should think about what you say before posting your thoughts. Just because he posted some design jobs doesn't mean that he'll be able to find a "professional". Some of your best designers lurk in strange places. Look at David Carson and see how he came around. He is one of the best of the century in graphic design. You know who he is? If not, google him.
You go tiger! Continue working for free, it'll take ya places!

Professional means you get paid. I'm pretty sure you should be the one doing the thinking if you do work for "exposure".:rolleyes:

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Transcend said:
That was pretty much the point of my post. If you want a professional, ie: someone who gets paid to do this for a living, you won't get it by posting on a bike forum looking for volunteers.
Yeh, I've done it for 15 years and I'm getting out of it because EVERYONE figures what I do is easy to do because they either can get the software for their pc to do it or they can find an artist that is starving and maybe the exposure will get them work, therefore they shouldn't have to pay for it. That's like me trying to save money on hiring a pro photographer for a grand a day to shoot a product for an ad for a national company I'm working with because I have a camera or I can find a college kid studying photography to do it for nothing just for the exposure. No pun intended. Same thing. I'll make money but the college kid wont. That pisses me off to no end. I've had to deal with that my whole career. I've had bands pay several grande to a studio to record a cd, and then want the CD design for a few dollars or they'll get a cousin who has a pc to do it and it winds up looking like crap. You get what you pay for. I've had an ad agency president semi retired interview me in his million dollar home, knowing I made a higher salary, then offered me a job for like 13K a year less with no benefits thinking I'd take it because I was out of work, and knew if I didn't take it some other starving artist would. He kind of just figured he'd hold it out there and see what I'd do. Six months later I answered his ad again, and a year after that. He's still hiring kids willing to work for like 22K "for experience" and they leave in six months. Now that's just plain being cheap. Like I'm going to take a 13K pay cut and lose my health benefits. What a moron! What a cheap ass. And I'll just say this to avoid the flaming over it... He WASN'T A CATHOLIC and his savior wasn't Jesus Christ! Hint hint! Do the math.

I stay away from people like that. I HATE cheap ass people! :mumble:

That's like the all too proverbial ASSH*LE that goes out to dinner with a group of ten people. Everyone buys something for under $10 bucks. And the cheap ass figures he'll order a bunch of stuff for like $20 figuring everyone else in the group is going to split the check evenly. Then when the check comes up short by like $12 bucks the cheap ass knowingly sits their being quiet waiting for that one proverbial "big spender" in the group to throw down the extra ten saying it ain't worth the time to figure it out, and the cheap ass gets away with it! And if you do figure out the check and point out the cheap ass, not only did they only put in just $10 for a $20 meal, but they hadn't even put a tip in! They STIFFED THE WAITRESS! When that happens to me, I'll purposely try to find out who it is and ask, "Who didn't put in for what their meal was worth?" Just to see if they speak up, and they never do! Then I'll purposely figure out the check. Then in front of everyone I'll purposely say, "You bought a $20 meal, and you only put in ten bucks. You're ten bucks short, PLUS you owe 20% tip. You still owe another $12 bucks!" :nopity:

Then they'll act like, "Oh I didn't know. I thought everyone was splitting it." Yeh right, after you spoke up five minues earlier, "We aren't splitting the check! Who didn't put in!?" Aaaa BULLSH*T!

And usually it's a person that has a lot of money! I hate cheap asses. That's one of my pet peeves.:mumble:
:redhot:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
binary visions said:
Then why are people heckling the amateurs?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Brandon@Realm26 said:
Hey just checking to see what kind of creative people are on Ride Monkey these days...... We are looking for a few good graphic designers for an online mag we are launching.

If you have any design skills, post your work below and I will send you a private message if I like your work.

If your not interested, post your work anyways, it's always fun to see good designs. Thanks!

Sounds like he was looking for a bit more than badly done Photoshop filters. *shrugs*