Quantcast

GraphicDesign : Brand guideline

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How come companies don't post any such info on their website?

For example, we're doing a project for a client who's doing a charity event. The charity is HUGE. Our client gave us their logo. Doing my diligence, I went to the website and there's no info. Our client doesn't care and I really don't feel like I should have to go out of my way to find out what restrictions there are on said logo if it can be distributed high-res without any attached guidelines.

So why aren't companies posting their Brand book online? (This seems far more common from my experience)

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
does Brands of the World have any one or two color versions of the logo so you can see variations? its good design ethic to call the corporate design deparment or agency on record and track down a designer who would share that info with you. props to you for doing the right thing. sucks doing the right thing.

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
does Brands of the World have any one or two color versions of the logo so you can see variations? its good design ethic to call the corporate design deparment or agency on record and track down a designer who would share that info with you. props to you for doing the right thing. sucks doing the right thing.

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/
thanks! I've used BotW many times, but I'm not going to spend more time on it, nor can I trust a third party 100%. The 'right' thing would be to email the charity, but I know that's a futile or exhaustive effort.

I'm just wondering why corporate websites don't bother posting such info.

Any guess?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Probably because 95% of the general public doesn't care and/or wouldn't understand the page their viewing. And the webmaster would get numerous inquiries about that page? :D Maybe they assume that their artists and outside artists would communicate what needs to be done so why waste a page that will only confuse the general public?

Honestly, I don't know. If the company/charity cares about their public image, then it's something they should be doing.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Do your clients not have final approval? All of ours do & for the most part they don't give us any guidelines until the first draft is done. :angry:

I think some companies guard there branding guidelines like it is a damn trade secret or something.

How come companies don't post any such info on their website?

For example, we're doing a project for a client who's doing a charity event. The charity is HUGE. Our client gave us their logo. Doing my diligence, I went to the website and there's no info. Our client doesn't care and I really don't feel like I should have to go out of my way to find out what restrictions there are on said logo if it can be distributed high-res without any attached guidelines.

So why aren't companies posting their Brand book online? (This seems far more common from my experience)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Non-profits are the worst though because most of the ones I have dealt with (locally, the big ones seem OK) don't have a designer on payroll, just an arm chair designer who's main focus is something else but dabbles in PS.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
As an agency, it is our job to protect the brands and often have to save the clients from themselves.

People are morons...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm so disappointed and frustrated working here. The owner LIED to me in the interviews about all kinds of things.

I'm only staying here cuz of the schedule flexibility.

Here's the latest...
email to sales rep said:
Due diligence... most companies (including ours) have strict guidelines on their brand/image and that includes logo usage. I googled and looked at the <large charity> website, found no brand book, which seems common for most corporate websites, which is odd in my opinion.

That said, I don't know if <large charity> allows their logo to be reproduced in either of the spot colors being used in this project.
response from sales said:
I will bring that up with the client.

She will likely say that we can go ahead with the blue & leave the explaining to her.

In the end it is <client> that is responsible for representing their sponsor&#237;s logo correctly.
I wrote back explaining that we do have a responsibility for logo usage, both legally and ethically as a supposed agency, especially one that is both registered and trademarked. Whatever. They can go fock a donkey.

ryebread

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Central Oregon
Because most employees of any given company (including some that should know better) don't understand what brand means or why its important. They think their brand IS their logo.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I think some companies guard there branding guidelines like it is a damn trade secret or something.
I think this is the case most of the time. It is odd because most designers worth their weight knows what font is what or at least how to find out and they also know how to use the eyedropper tool to get colors. Yeah they may not be 100% accurate but they will be close enough.

My company guards theirs. They feel that they (stupidly) paid a sh!t ton of money to have a new image created and will not make any of that valuable information available without a request.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Wow. The reps at your work can get you vector logos?!
When the AE's here get me logos they go to the web & right click save as & email it on. Yeah, your 180x180 logo is going to look great on a vinyl banner. :rolleyes:

Probably cuz I mentioned that in the OP... client wants to use a third party logo in another color than supplied.

It is, but I was leaving the discussion as layman as possible.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wow. The reps at your work can get you vector logos?!
When the AE's here get me logos they go to the web & right click save as & email it on. Yeah, your 180x180 logo is going to look great on a vinyl banner. :rolleyes:
No, they're dumb, just random luck. Like you, I regularly get web images for "quality" projects.