Quantcast

Grass fed (and other fancy) beef

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anyone choose to eat grass-fed and -finished beef, as opposed to the usual corn- and soy-fed type?

I gave it a try via Butcherbox and frankly wasn’t impressed relative to my baseline of USDA Prime grade ribeyes from Costco. Apparently this is common in that grass-fed beef has less marbling and is in general leaner. Healthier cows in their own right but not nearly as tasty, IMO.

So I’m giving it one more try, with a local ranch in Strasburg, which is just over half an hour east of me (but from which I am having it delivered instead of wasting that time). 4 grass-fed, grass-finished Wagyu ribeyes inbound, and if they don’t pass muster then I’ll revert to corn-fed, marbled, Costco USDA Prime.

Edit: apparently only their ground beef is wagyu/Angus hybrid, so they shall just be standard steaks. Plus they only had 3 in stock.

Latest update: Angus/wagyu hybrid (so-called "American wagyu") ribeyes from Snake River Farms are Toshi's :fancy: meat of choice.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The rationale for grass fed beef would be that the composition of the fats in it is apparently better than those fed on grain swill. I can accept this, but not if it ends up stringy and lean…

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
You will likely be disappointed.

I am curious though as you mentioned wagyu, which if I am not mistaken in the US generally refers to long haired tajima black angus hybrids, which should have genetics that promote marbling. Wagyu = 和牛 = Japanese beef (literally Wa's cow which comes from the ancient name of Nara prefecture Yamato, written as 大和国. Washoku=和食 is the term for Japanese cuisine in Japanese).

Having gorged myself on South Dakota ribeyes and some amazing matsuzaka wagyu I have yet to eat any grass fed beef that could compare.

Hopefully I am wrong, excited to hear your opinion post consumption.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Having gorged myself on South Dakota ribeyes and some amazing matsuzaka wagyu I have yet to eat any grass fed beef that could compare.

Hopefully I am wrong, excited to hear your opinion post consumption.
I am wondering if it's just inherent in the grass-fed diet. I want fat cows, damnit.

I've had waygu beef before. Very good.
I think a ribeye was around $120/lb back then. What is the local price?
Really not bad, which makes me a bit suspicious. Worked out to about $25/lb shipped.

Now that I look again at the store page they only advertise Angus/Wagyu hybrid for their ground beef. So I'm thinking that I'm just getting grass fed Angus.

:think:

Compare to actual 100% legit Wagyu:

Look at that marbling, though…

Sweet baby jeebus.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I'm sorry but there is no dead cow part on this Earth worth paying $150/pound for. No way in hell
Generally it is sold in 300g packages yakiniku style rather than steaks.

I thought @Nick was over estimating, but it does seem to be between $16~$32/gram depending on the cut.

It does taste amazing, not sure if it justifies the cost, but I am happy to consume it when someone else is paying.

Screenshot_20190914-231422.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have had the legit Wagyu/Kobe in Japan before, at a shabu shabu place. It was delicious.

(I also was not paying.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
no carbs? no kare pan
The nice thing about the fasting is that one can get away with more carbs (on the order of 60-100g--still low but enough for a kare pan here and there certainly) and still be in ketosis for substantial periods, as opposed to stoney's super restrictive ketogenic diet.

But then again I don't have a medical reason where I need to be in ketosis 24/7--dropping out for 6 hours while eating and burning down glycogen is fine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The nice thing about the fasting is that one can get away with more carbs (on the order of 60-100g--still low but enough for a kare pan here and there certainly) and still be in ketosis for substantial periods, as opposed to stoney's super restrictive ketogenic diet.

But then again I don't have a medical reason where I need to be in ketosis 24/7--dropping out for 6 hours while eating and burning down glycogen is fine.
this is why i'm busting your chops and not stoney's

:busted:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m having a grass-fed ribeye from the local ranch. (The one where only the ground beef is Angus/wagyu hybrid. This just Angus.)

It is good, but a step below corn-fed USDA Prime ribeye from Costco.

Back to corn-fed steaks I shall retreat.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Next up to try, Angus/wagyu hybrid ribeye filets from Snake River Farms. Because that shit looks awesome and it’s in between in price from Angus and pure wagyu. $60.80/lb before shipping when buying 4-7 10 oz filets. That marbling…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Promo code 51YEARS good for unknown length of time for 15% off at Snake River Farms. Since it’s on sale I bought some nice cuts. Mmm beef fats…

00DBF085-D6AA-4F95-93AB-640B148C1DE5.jpeg

I did go with “only” their black grade for the ribeye cap. With such a loose cut I imagine I’ll have to put it on a baking sheet instead of directly on the grill.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Next up to try, Angus/wagyu hybrid ribeye filets from Snake River Farms. Because that shit looks awesome and it’s in between in price from Angus and pure wagyu. $60.80/lb before shipping when buying 4-7 10 oz filets. That marbling…

Most folks have no idea how to prepare that Steak. The learning curve is pretty severe.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Most folks have no idea how to prepare that Steak. The learning curve is pretty severe.
I’d appreciate tips. Never cooked a wagyu before (this is wagyu/Angus hybrid, for the record).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
These instructions sound nigh identical to the Bobby Flay formula for regular ribeyes on a grill, except the note to maybe use a cast iron skillet instead:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Last winter I started doing my steaks indoors in a pan. They're so good. Let the meat sit out to warm a bit, then into a stupid hot pan for 3.5 min per side, then sit a few while I finish a side or make a salad.

Edit- I too wonder how Jim cooks em.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bobby Flay would approve. He would also have you make a tent out of tin foil to sit atop the steak while it rests. I do basically what you do, but on the grill. I pull them at 120-125.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I’d appreciate tips. Never cooked a wagyu before (this is wagyu/Angus hybrid, for the record).
I have missing steps. Excuse me. First the oil I coated the steak in and puddled on the flattop. Is not available to me. Neither is a flattop. My knife skills for proper finish are not good enough either. The flattop or pan needs to be super hot medium high or better. The puddle should be only a few drops with a pinch of the coarsest sea salt to suspend the steak and not flavor it.. Don't not be afraid of the eruption of the steak meeting the pan or cooking surface. The initial sear is the deal breaker. The whole process is exactly 2 minutes long. I used a egg timer. Flip at 1:30 or so. No puddle is needed this time. Place your sliced ginger on the bits that stick to the pan or the flattop. The ginger should never touch the steak. I am not sure why. Carrots or radish's will work in a pinch. You're on your own with plating.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Do you temp them? I find that with variable thicknesses of cuts temping is necessary for that consistent rare/medium rare I like. Costco cuts their ribeyes very thick, in particular.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Relevant to the premise of this thread is that at least some wagyu is grass-fed... see the description in the Chicago link I posted. Hmm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi ... after you try these bougie-ass steaks, head over to Edward's Meats. They're an amazing butcher.
Just checked out their page. USDA Select and Prime. Props to them for offering Prime, which is often MIA. But on the other hand USDA Prime should be equivalent across the board in terms of marbling and I can't imagine them touching Costco's prices.

Re my bourgeois steaks, the Angus/wagyu hybrid ribeyes + ribeye cap should be arriving tomorrow! I know what I'm eating for dinner...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Last of the four glorious Gold grade Snake River Farms Angus/wagyu hybrid ribeyes was consumed over lunch. I set the alarm for 105F, pulled it at 110F on the nose, let it rest 5 minutes under a foil tent and it was just right indeed.

All that’s left is the 10 oz package of Black grade wagyu hybrid ribeye cap. I imagine I’ll have to stick that on a baking sheet so that it doesn’t fall apart on the grill.

(For the record the tiny hand coming in from the left pointing at the steak was that of my 4 year old, asking about what’s on it at the moment.)