Quantcast

Grass fed (and other fancy) beef

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Where I crossposted this picture some people were apparently (or facetiously) confused as to the state of the steak. That was thawed and entirely uncooked, for the record.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today I grilled up some NY strips. Costco sourced, USDA Prime.

They just don't compare.

:(

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
when I buy steaks I get them at Edwards. If you think all prime meat is the same regardless of vendor, you're mistaken. A good butcher that deals with local farms is worth the travel and slight bump in cost sometimes.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Im thinking about ordering some picanha from an online shop. (Theres no way I can get it fresh here right now) But im wondering if its gonna be worth it if its been frozen...

I know a lot of places get frozen meat and it also depends on the freezing process (at what temps its frozen/cooled) but have you guys ever noticed any difference?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
when I buy steaks I get them at Edwards. If you think all prime meat is the same regardless of vendor, you're mistaken. A good butcher that deals with local farms is worth the travel and slight bump in cost sometimes.

Final bit of my Snake River Farms order finally in my belly. The 4 and 6 year old kids also ate a fair bit of this one–they loved it.

This one was the Gold grade Angus/wagyu hybrid ribeye cap. No, not just the tip: just the cap. It was amazing.

Leave in temp probe after flipping, alarm set at 105F, pulled at 110F, thereafter rested about 10 minutes. (It's sitting in juices despite resting because I grilled this one in a cast iron skillet, and emptied those juices/fats rendered during cooking over the steak before setting it out to rest.)

I'm going to give Edwards Meats per @Nick a try to see if USDA Prime ribeyes from there are different from that at Costco (which are good but not as good). If it is only on par with Costco USDA Prime then I'll pony up for SRF in the future.

Im thinking about ordering some picanha from an online shop. (Theres no way I can get it fresh here right now) But im wondering if its gonna be worth it if its been frozen...

I know a lot of places get frozen meat and it also depends on the freezing process (at what temps its frozen/cooled) but have you guys ever noticed any difference?
These frou frou wagyu meats and the like are shipped frozen. They turn out just fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Edwards Meats USDA Prime ribeye. Looks equivalent to Costco’s USDA Prime in terms of marbling, which isn’t bad but isn’t wagyu hybrid.

(Edwards did have Snake River Farms wagyu hybrid, but only in New York strip as the cut. Curiously it seemed to be quite a bit cheaper at Edwards than online, go figure.)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Final bit of my Snake River Farms order finally in my belly. The 4 and 6 year old kids also ate a fair bit of this one–they loved it.

This one was the Gold grade Angus/wagyu hybrid ribeye cap. No, not just the tip: just the cap. It was amazing.

Leave in temp probe after flipping, alarm set at 105F, pulled at 110F, thereafter rested about 10 minutes. (It's sitting in juices despite resting because I grilled this one in a cast iron skillet, and emptied those juices/fats rendered during cooking over the steak before setting it out to rest.)

I'm going to give Edwards Meats per @Nick a try to see if USDA Prime ribeyes from there are different from that at Costco (which are good but not as good). If it is only on par with Costco USDA Prime then I'll pony up for SRF in the future.

These frou frou wagyu meats and the like are shipped frozen. They turn out just fine.
We get SRF at our local Albertsons. I have never gone the ‘aged’ route, some of that looks scary to me, but they have oodles of the stuff.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The website and company may be done from there but a lot of their beef is actually physically from the Midwest, I believe.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I am a big fan of beefalo. My neighbor raises them and I can drive over to his place and buy steaks and burger out of his freezer. It isn't waygu but they lives on the grass a couple miles away.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Last of the four glorious Gold grade Snake River Farms Angus/wagyu hybrid ribeyes was consumed over lunch. I set the alarm for 105F, pulled it at 110F on the nose, let it rest 5 minutes under a foil tent and it was just right indeed.

All that’s left is the 10 oz package of Black grade wagyu hybrid ribeye cap. I imagine I’ll have to stick that on a baking sheet so that it doesn’t fall apart on the grill.

(For the record the tiny hand coming in from the left pointing at the steak was that of my 4 year old, asking about what’s on it at the moment.)
Nice little slab of cow! Good looking cut!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anyone have experience with the really long-aged stuff?
Like this? 21+ days wet-aged. That's what I got last time and what is pictured in the post that Brian quoted. Excellent.

Nice little slab of cow! Good looking cut!
It really was a fine thing. I'll order some up next week, methinks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As threatened I ordered up 4 more Angus/wagyu traditional ribeyes from Snake River Farms, Gold grade. They shall arrive this upcoming Wednesday, at which time I may have potentially just finished a fast starting after Sunday dinner.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As threatened I ordered up 4 more Angus/wagyu traditional ribeyes from Snake River Farms, Gold grade. They shall arrive this upcoming Wednesday, at which time I may have potentially just finished a fast starting after Sunday dinner.
They arrived a day late (likely due to the storm). Still well in time for Saturday, where I shall grill up all 4 for company.

This means I shall have to order some more!
Have you ever tried a Cut called Bevette or Flapp Steak?
Related to the above: Snake River Farms has an Angus/wagyu hybrid bavette cut. I shall try it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Am I the only RM member that isn't a dentist? Or did you all get lucky and get an email about a wealthy deceased relative?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Am I the only RM member that isn't a dentist? Or did you all get lucky and get an email about a wealthy deceased relative?
Nigerian prince inheritances are tight, yo. I didn't even know I was black royalty until then!

4 wagyu hybrid ribeyes grilled up tonight and sliced up so that people could grab parts piecemeal. This was just under 6 lbs of beef. About 3.25 of them were consumed between 3 adult males eating heartily and 5 kids eating kid-sized bits, everyone satiated. (The adult women-folk didn't eat steak--heathens!) Leftovers packed up for tomorrow for me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Latest order should be here tomorrow (but hasn't shipped yet so maybe not?):

I chose these cuts because they had a Halloween buy one get one offer (as is evidenced by the FREE duplicate ones). I also got some bacon because that shit looks tasty.

This'll be a chance to see if wagyu-ness outweighs the cut. How do these compare to a USDA Prime ribeye in overall satisfaction?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Black grade wagyu hybrid steaks, uncooked in case that's not clear:

New York strip on left, ribeye filet top right, sirloin filet bottom right. They're dressed with MCT oil, salt, and Nu-salt in preparation for the grill.

Thoughts on them:

- New York strip was pretty good, in my opinion, but the ribeye still wins
- sirloin was actually really pleasing! not tough despite relative paucity of intramuscular fat, and a strong characteristic sirloin beefy taste
- 4 year old would only eat ribeye
- 6 year old ate all but preferred the ribeye