Quantcast

Grass fed (and other fancy) beef

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So *this* is how you're going to manage to spend $200,000 a year in retirement... it makes sense now! :D

:dead:

On the upside, between the 15% off code (SRF1519 if you all want to try it as per the screenshot) and that each ribeye is 1.2 lbs or more on average this works out to about $55/lb.

Given that I and the kids both prefer it strongly to "regular" beefs… well, there ya go.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The 2 steaks I have had from Snake River Farms have been topnotch. The Strip steak was by far the best. Silverskin in the Ribeye was only a limited detriment. I just cut around it. My friend Aaron buys the Waygu. His wife is an excellent chef also.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We had them for Lunch today. Went to his Moms Tiny House in the woods. All sorts of religious stuff laying around. Inscribed Tablets and shit. Just a little much. Tiny Houses are just small very expensive Studio Apartments somewhere inconvenient to get to in the Winter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For more on this WTF topic, I think I'll do an experiment involving eating steaks or not eating them:

Both arms of the study: Alternate day fasting. Testing lipids once per day at a certain time, like 10 PM. On feed days try to stick to 50 grams of carbs per day and similar foods. The difference will be in dinner.

One group will test steaks, and thus saturated fat's effect. For that I'll weigh out 12 oz of wagyu hybrid ribeye--I'll make this sacrifice for science. This indicates a non-wagyu ribeye has 660 cal, 45 g fat (21 g saturated), 150 mg cholesterol, 66 g protein in that amount. This indicates wagyu hybrid cattle have about 41% more fat, at least in the non-ribeye cut they tested. I have no better data, though, so I'll assume that means 63 g fat of which 30 g will be saturated, and 212 mg cholesterol.

So what would I have to eat to hit 63 g fat, 30 g saturated, 212 mg cholesterol, 66 g protein to match (roughly) with the non-steak group? I want to maximize MUFAs in this group, so almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, macademias, pecans, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, avocados, dark chocolate.

80 g dark chocolate + 54 g macadamia nuts would give 60 g fat, 28 g saturated fat, and about 10 grams of protein. 2 scoops of whey protein isolate would take that to 60 grams protein. No cholesterol in this comparison but not sure what I can do about that.

Both arms of my test sound quite delicious, now that I think of it.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wife has vetoed my plan for chocolate + macadamia nut testing as a bad example for the kids. Science, people!

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 1.10.00 PM.png

Ordered myself some more steaks because I'm down to 2 left from my last order, one of which will be eaten tomorrow. In addition to the ribeye note the bavette and flat iron. (I also separately ordered some other wagyu ribeyes to be sent to my parents as a gift because I am a gracious child of theirs. I think they'll like 'em.)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Harshly seared over angry charcoal. Open package just place on fire. Eat shortly afterward. Soak bread in juice. Have bread.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another Bavette out for delivery.
Cooked the bavette the other day. Kids liked it. I liked it. Nice, big meat strands, very interesting texture.

Overall the kids prefer the ribeye and so do I, but a fine choice to mix it up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just tallied up my Snake River Farms purchases since September... and I have eaten (and given away a bit, to sister/BIL and parents) a lot of tasty beef.

No ragrets

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
I recently purchased a couple American Wagyu steaks from Snake River Farms as wedding gifts for my brother as well as a friend.

A slight delay in shipping through NY on the first package resulted in Snake River quikly sending out a replacement shipment due to freshness concerns; Both packages made it to me with plenty of ice left in the box so I made out like a bandit on a couple pretty nice steaks that I normally would not have purchased for myself.

While both cuts were amazing, I have to say the the dry aged rib steak was out of this world in terms of flavor as well as tenderness; this experience, and it was an experience, got me interested in pulling in some other premium beef varieties to sample. I mean, what the hell else am I supposed to in a pandemic other than eat a lot and see if I can ride enough to keep from getting fat?!

I have an order from Pursuit Farms coming in on Tuesday that will have me sampling a variety of higher end beef options: Japanese A4 Wagyu, Australian Wagyu ribeye, Australian Wagyu striploin (dry aged), dry aged bone-in Prime porterhouse, dry aged Prim ribeye, American natural skirt steak and Wagyu ground beef.

FWIW, pricing through Pursuit Farms is coming in a bit less than Snake River. My order ended up averaging out to $44/lb for what I posted above. Australian Wagyu ribeye is at $63/lb on Pursuit vs the American Wagyu Gold ribeye at Snake River for $74/lb.

3C5A4B55-313C-435D-8E28-C36936168E04.jpeg
7D14D10B-F252-4C4E-AE40-EEEEF3E47EBD.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice! I placed yet another big SRF order last night. Mmmm meats

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My butcher has snake river waygu. Perhaps I'll splurge and try a piece.
Yeah, Edwards had the NY Strip, iirc. Post-COVID come over and I'll cook you a wagyu hybrid ribeye, nice and bloody.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
In the first of the above images I posted the cut to the right is an American Wagyu Picanha. After watching a few of the videos from the Guga Foods/Sous Vide Everything channels I was willing to give it a go. $75 for 32oz. on Snake River has it coming in a bit less than more well known cuts/steaks.

It was delicious, but the dry aged Wagyu ribsteak was even better; just a more complex and beefier flavor profile due to the aging with slight elements of funk/blue cheese.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
This order should hold me over for a while ;). Tried some skirt steak last night for dinner and was very impressed.
I also cooked up an 8oz portion of the Japanese A4 Wagyu shoulder for a meat dessert. I have heard people describe A4/A5 as melt in your mouth tender and this was definitely the case with the small sample I seared. Flavor wise I would still give the edge to the dry aged rib-steak but in terms of texture the A4 was noticeably more tender.

BD9595B9-4350-4C94-8578-ACF63B344EA7.jpeg
4A989DDD-3D26-4CA2-943B-69443EB0C6CF.jpeg
F233BF92-6319-4850-95FF-4D32B29D4782.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice. My order came in today as well. 4 picanha, 6 gold grade ribeye, some hot dogs and beef jerky (also wagyu hybrid).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It is some good shit. Post-COVID offer is open to you as well. But not your kids—they’ll bankrupt me. :D
Kids are mostly in Montana... so that's a win.

My thinking is *if* I try this shit, I'm gonna end up down that same goddam rabbit hole that you did.

And with two kids at uni in Montana, I probably shouldn't do that.

That said, I'll probably take you up on it, because that's free steak and I've got two kids at college in Montana.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Kids are mostly in Montana... so that's a win.

My thinking is *if* I try this shit, I'm gonna end up down that same goddam rabbit hole that you did.

And with two kids at uni in Montana, I probably shouldn't do that.

That said, I'll probably take you up on it, because that's free steak and I've got two kids at college in Montana.

It is nice that Toshi wants his meat inside you.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
They have this in the local supermarket around Christmas time. If you can't see the price it's 43374 yen which is US$410 for 4660g slab. I doubt you could get nicer beef.

DSC_0179.JPG

Last edited: