Quantcast

grass roots sponsorship

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I've been given the task of stting up a grass roots sponsorship system for a tyre company over here in Europe and I was wondering what you guys would look for in this kind of deal.
Here's my take on what it should be, please feel free to comment and to put forwrd your own suggestions.
I was thinking of pretty much accepting anyone who applies and give them a discount which would be determined by a points system (results, genral presentation, approachability, attitude, what they do to help the sport,condition of the bike...if you can think of any other factors don't hesitate)
Do you think this is a good way or would you prefer to see a stricter system where there are a limited number of spots and everyone gets the same advantages?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
That sounds good. I'd say accept anyone who gets to the races first, but if you're overwhelmed then maybe set a limit. In regards to the points system, I know many companies have different levels of sponsorship, from 40% to 100% off, though I'm not sure how they rank people.

For more tips, email whoever is in charge of sponsorship at companies like 661, Maxxis, and Kenda who have grassroots sponsorship programs.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I've seen the team michelin website and I thought that it as a good system. Are any of you guys part of this sysmtem? What would you change if you could?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
depends on what you want.......with just one level/open to all, you will have a lot of beginner/sport level riders.

to atract experts/pros I would think you would have to have levels of sponsorship to offer them more (to get them to go with your company over other tire companies)

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Eurotrash said:
I've been given the task of stting up a grass roots sponsorship system for a tyre company over here in Europe and I was wondering what you guys would look for in this kind of deal.
Here's my take on what it should be, please feel free to comment and to put forwrd your own suggestions.
I was thinking of pretty much accepting anyone who applies and give them a discount which would be determined by a points system (results, genral presentation, approachability, attitude, what they do to help the sport,condition of the bike...if you can think of any other factors don't hesitate)
Do you think this is a good way or would you prefer to see a stricter system where there are a limited number of spots and everyone gets the same advantages?
My LBS is setting up a grass roots team and they are doing the following:

1. Branching off of our local bike club and picking a hand full of riders from that group to get started. (Not turning anyone away just needs a starting point)
2. Riders buy there own jerseys
3. Offering a payout for placement in races. 100% top 5 75% top 15 25% finishing the race (something like that)
4. Finish in 6 or more races get a 75$ credit in the store.
5. The store is supplying training schedules and help

that’s what we have setup so far, hope it helps