Quantcast

grate your own cheese

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
:thumb:

I've only recently converted my wife from the evil that is bagged, grated "cheese."

I'm ashamed to say I bought grated cheese the other day, but at least it was good cheese. I needed some Parmigiano-Reggiano and according to the deli-boy the grated was $1 less per pound...for the same cheese. I'm still a bit confused because when I placed my order, he grabbed chunks from the non-grated bin, weighed it, the grated it for me... and it was cheaper. :confused:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i was recently given the gift of a cheese slicer.

i love it. yes, i'm a cheap date if this is all it takes.

:D

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
:thumb:

I've only recently converted my wife from the evil that is bagged, grated "cheese."

I'm ashamed to say I bought grated cheese the other day, but at least it was good cheese. I needed some Parmigiano-Reggiano and according to the deli-boy the grated was $1 less per pound...for the same cheese. I'm still a bit confused because when I placed my order, he grabbed chunks from the non-grated bin, weighed it, the grated it for me... and it was cheaper. :confused:
I love proper Parmesan! Buy a block of it and grate it as you need it. The flavour will be better and it lasts for ages. Buy a 'microplane' to grate it. Such a useful tool.

Mmmmmmmmm...... Cheese is good........

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I generally agree with all of this, but with an occasional exception. I get most of my cheese at a local cheese shop and will sometimes have the cheese guy grate cheese if I know I will use it right away (like if I'm cooking a big batch of mac n' cheese for a crowd or something). But that is starting with what I know is good fresh real cheese, and watching someone grate it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I also hate sliced bread from the bakery but thats only because it stays fresher if you don't slice up all at once and you can cut it to preference.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Chris Walker said:
Karim: Sorry, buddy. Tomorrow I'll write about face-planting into nachos from Del Taco and getting kicked out of Green Valley Station for being ****housed. Would that make you happy, douchebag? By the way, it's not just a post about cheese - I talk about hot dogs, too.
Chris Walker said:
As for the rest of your response to my post, I'll make this short: you missed the point and since I don't even know who you are (although I have a feeling) I won't waste either of our time explaining it. Furthermore (and most importantly): I take the argument to where it suits me. You don't like that, **** it, what do I honestly care?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cheese snobbery is so European.

I buy shredded, bagged cheese all the time. Somehow I have managed to not die.

I hope you change your mind. It would be a shame to have lived your whole life without feeling superior to others because of your grocery shopping habbits.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The various time saving/overpriced processed supermarket products are usually altered, taste different, and/or don't stay fresh very long. Those salad in a bag things are evil too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Does it not raise a red flag when you no longer have to make a simple pancake batter or even add water to pre-made mix, but just take a pre-flapped jack from your freezer and pop it into the microwave for your child? This is the future of America, people.
from a comment on the blog.

the dead kennedys had this dialed in years ago.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
are you advocating for bagged cheese?

and the europeans are 'cheese snobs'? hell, they just know how to make better cheese than us.

i miss this place:
http://www.sheridanscheesemongers.com/

I don't like grated cheese bought or grated on my own. I just break or cut chunks off. The grated stuff is just a mess, I hate cleaning and that stuff seems to find its way all over my counter and oven. I do buy pre sliced cheddar quite a bit though. When slapped on a ham sandwich and doused in mustard I can not tell the difference.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
anger? i think you are projecting.

we are just trying to drill some common sense into your fromage-related purchases.
I was more referring to the blog. The guy is getting pretty upset about SHREDDED CHEESE IN A BAG. I don't know...it takes a little more than that to get me riled up, but I'm funny like that.

:monkey:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I was more referring to the blog. The guy is getting pretty upset about SHREDDED CHEESE IN A BAG. I don't know...it takes a little more than that to get me riled up, but I'm funny like that.

:monkey:
well i think that blogs are designed for histrionics, even if they aren't always truly heart-felt.

but the comment i pasted, i think, is extremely relevant to his point.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cheese snobbery is so European.

I buy shredded, bagged cheese all the time. Somehow I have managed to not die.
Agreed, it's not life or death. It's really more a quality of life thing (or more accurately, it's a quality of cheese thing). Frankly I'm more concerned with the ingredients and processes that go into it than whether it's grated.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bought a bag of pre-cooked rice on the way home from the gym last night. I wanted some chicken and rice with curry and would have passed out if I had waited the hour to cook my normal brown rice. I felt some shame but it was tasty.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I bought a bag of pre-cooked rice on the way home from the gym last night. I wanted some chicken and rice with curry and would have passed out if I had waited the hour to cook my normal brown rice. I felt some shame but it was tasty.
That pre-cooked rice works well when making burritos. :thumb:

Not as good as rice in the rice cooker, but burritos take long enough to put together and cook without having to wait for rice.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
how long does it take to steam some rice? 30 min?

multi-tasking, people. get the rice going first, then start cooking yr peppers/onions/protein of choice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like brown rice, it takes a good hour to cook. I'd rather buy the pre-cooked stuff in a pinch then settle for the white stuff.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
what does the sushi chef say to you when you refuse his nigiri? or are you a sashimi fan?

there's always this:
I do prefer sashimi but if I was making sushi I would probably use sticky white rice. But I don't make sushi.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I do prefer sashimi but if I was making sushi I would probably use sticky white rice. But I don't make sushi.
Brown rice sushi is getting more popular these days. There is a takeout place near me that specializes in it.

Why not just make brown rice in a rice cooker? They have ones that can make brown rice but usually it can't make as much as white.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
WHERE WILL IT END???

minute rice? maggots would be tastier.

edit - no snobbery here, just probing the taste/convenience continuum here...