Quantcast

Grateful GMT

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
took @StiHacka's advice and rode my bike yesterday. 55 miles and 3500 feet of climbing. Was a bit much, had planned on climbing mount wachusett as well but decided to save my legs for the ride home. Longest and highest ride by quite a margin. Beautiful day for it too

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:wave:
I got a call from the County Sheriff dept last night at 2am asking if I still owned my old house. It was regarding "a law enforcement matter". Given their kids are young, so they're not out drinking, I'm not really sure what that could be. Just gave them the number of the new guy, and went back to sleep. Hopefully everything is ok for Ben. But I might drive by today, just to take a peek...

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
took @StiHacka's advice and rode my bike yesterday. 55 miles and 3500 feet of climbing. Was a bit much, had planned on climbing mount wachusett as well but decided to save my legs for the ride home. Longest and highest ride by quite a margin. Beautiful day for it too
Really envious of anyone who is close enough to the mountains for such climbs. Then again less incentive for me to fix my roadbike cockpit so it doesn't kill my back above 50km rides.

Since it's storm season anyway the only thing that makes sense now is returning to riding pumptracks daily

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Really envious of anyone who is close enough to the mountains for such climbs. Then again less incentive for me to fix my roadbike cockpit so it doesn't kill my back above 50km rides.

Since it's storm season anyway the only thing that makes sense now is returning to riding pumptracks daily
I had no idea there were climbs like this out here. My more aggressive local rides are like 600-800ft. I wanted to try something a bit more epic and I got it :bad: I should have brought my trainer-attached trek so I could take advantage of the triple crankset, but that has caliper brakes which could have been a challenge on some of the downhills.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Trying to figure out a kids activity that I can do with a Covid positive kid that doesn’t involve staying inside or exposing others. Thinking we’re going to go look at cows then hike.

Need to find some time to ride too, we’ll see how that goes

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I had no idea there were climbs like this out here. My more aggressive local rides are like 600-800ft. I wanted to try something a bit more epic and I got it :bad: I should have brought my trainer-attached trek so I could take advantage of the triple crankset, but that has caliper brakes which could have been a challenge on some of the downhills.
Naaaah you just need some of that early 2000s courage when we all did 70-90kph on gravel roads with cantilever brake tech... Agreed on the triple cranksets. Those things are underrated. I know 1x12 looks cool but those low gearings for some uphills really help a lot.

Also it's still better than living in a country designed for easy invasion. If I'm going to spend time driving (or take a train) to the mountains I will take my mountain bike over my road bike so no incentive.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ride fail. I set out for 70 on the tri bike and flatted at mile 35, the furthest point from home. I failed to put a valve extender into my saddle bag, then blew out my lone CO2 cartridge trying to squeeze the mini pump onto the valve. So, I had to call mom-in-law to pick me up. Thankfully she lived only 7 miles away and was actually home. I have gone years without flatting on the road, and now I've gotten three in the last couple of months. What the fucking fuck!? I may head back out after I pound some lunch and fix the flat.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ride fail. I set out for 70 on the tri bike and flatted at mile 35, the furthest point from home. I failed to put a valve extender into my saddle bag, then blew out my lone CO2 cartridge trying to squeeze the mini pump onto the valve. So, I had to call mom-in-law to pick me up. Thankfully she lived only 7 miles away and was actually home. I have gone years without flatting on the road, and now I've gotten three in the last couple of months. What the fucking fuck!? I may head back out after I pound some lunch and fix the flat.
Maxxis EXO? :D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Slept in, espresso and a bacon and egg breakfast burrito to start my day. Less than one hour into the competition a rider got violently thrown off her horse, face plant. It's been a while since I had to do a full blown trauma assessment in the arena. They are going to be really sore in a few hours.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Jesus Christ. I just watched the scariest race I've seen to date. The time disparities were 40sec with early-teens having almost no control at slow speeds and zero fuck's given adults going full out past them. Track manager asked me to mind a front corner in case there was a crash that stacked karts on top of each other. :dead: Fucking mess.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
:wave:
Buddy is doing the Steamboat gravel race tomorrow, sounds pretty miserable. Although it would give me a good reason to get back in shape.

In other news, finally listed the Subaru. It cleans up nice.
View attachment 180506
Nice! I am curious if this is the new "turbo charged" engine that's replaced the six cylinder? I have the latter from the last year they offered it and love the bigger engine. As a side note, I wished the Outback was offered in the Corsstrek's colors.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Side by side tour up above Winter Park this morning. Dusty, loud, and fun.

now headed back home.

DAE96965-1DE8-41AD-AC20-0C97E4C99A8A.jpeg
5926161E-8A5A-40BA-A8E0-480A925CAA2E.jpeg
7B367FDA-6865-4F98-861E-77C59586D274.jpeg

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
No shit. On a positive note I discovered that I can run at full speed across the facility and have both of my ankles feel great hours later. Maybe I can start Mt Biking again.
I just got some squat wedges to help with ankle mobility issues when doing body weight squats and lunges. They also work as calf stretchers. Not sure if they'd help with your ankle issues, but they seem like a good investment so far.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I just got some squat wedges to help with ankle mobility issues when doing body weight squats and lunges. They also work as calf stretchers. Not sure if they'd help with your ankle issues, but they seem like a good investment so far.
Left ankle, the bone, plates, and screws just had to fuse enough. Right ankle, partial tear of the Achilles Tendon just needed time to heal and get strong again. I have been pain free for 2 months just haven't wanted to push it and have a setback.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
home. 'tis nice to enjoy coming home after a good short vacation. ate some leftovers, chillin on the couch. gonna get a local ride in tomorrow....looks like weather's gonna cool off after tuesday. mom's having a hard time settling in to assisted living. i'm having a hard time feeling that sorry for her. mostly feel bad for my dad. alzheimer's sucks.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Learned a few things the hard way around 1:30 into a 3:00 boat trip on choppy waters:

Oldest daughter gets seasick, I also apparently get seasick. The front of the boat is the worst place to be for either of us. No one booted, thankfully, but zero fucks given about whales when you’re trying to not puke.

By all accounts it was a very successful outing with many sightings, but no interest in doing that again.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Learned a few things the hard way around 1:30 into a 3:00 boat trip on choppy waters:

Oldest daughter gets seasick, I also apparently get seasick. The front of the boat is the worst place to be for either of us. No one booted, thankfully, but zero fucks given about whales when you’re trying to not puke.

By all accounts it was a very successful outing with many sightings, but no interest in doing that again.
Reminds me of the whale watch the wife and I went on out of Carmel. Was busy staring through the telephoto trying to get good photos of whales, then felt like I got hit by a truck. Spent the rest of the whale watch with my head in my hands trying to keep it together. Twas rough.

Screenshot_20220813-215635_Instagram.jpg

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Reminds me of the whale watch the wife and I went on out of Carmel. Was busy staring through the telephoto trying to get good photos of whales, then felt like I got hit by a truck. Spent the rest of the whale watch with my head in my hands trying to keep it together. Twas rough.

View attachment 180522
I feel you. Looks like you at least got some pics for your effort. I thought about pulling the phone out for some pics for about .02 seconds, then realized that things would go sideways really quickly if I took my hands off the railing. Super rough water.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Soon.

0AE81D83-4DF1-47CA-BCBF-B4EF13DA0964.jpeg

Beer for scale, this is easily the largest slab of pork spare ribs I’ve ever seen. Now to see if I remember how to smoke meats, it’s been a while, tomorrows dinner is either going to be good, or it’ll be pizza, whichis also good

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
New grill assembled and in place. Took four fucking hours to build the damn thing. But, it is WAY more overbuilt than the $300 grill we had before.

Natural gas, 10" wider than the last one (har har), built in storage cabinet. Weber is fancy.

IMG_20220813_171344_01.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to get sea sick but then after dealing with vertigo from meniere's disease just kind of became numb to confusing balance signals.