Quantcast

Gravel/road bike...cheap

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Any input on cheap gravel road type bikes?

So far I see the Marin and maybe Surly.

Want something with disc brakes and a build that wont fall apart of bumpy or dirt roads.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is that Canadian pesos or Freedum dollars?
Canadianz

The first half of that is how she'll use the bike. Pavement riding, dirt road and the occasional grassy knoll to the beach hill.

I have a Giant Revolt and while I ride it mostly on paved surface, its great not having to worry about the tires or anything if I need to ride through a park or cut down a dirt road.

adding these for reference later...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Look at the Soma Wolverine! Get a frame/fork and then build some wheels with xt hubs/wtb rims. Kit it out with drop bars and a mtb drivetrain using a wolftooth tampan doohicky. The wheels and frame fork are your biggest expense. That 1000 should cover most of it!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
She ended up getting a Kona. It was under $1000 canadian and most importantly, a local shop actually had it on hand. She also got some plastic Kona wahwah pedals with it, maybe I can get her to try out clips one day...

Cheap bike but it has a pretty awesome paint job on it. It's a deep metallic purple/blue/green that's slightly changes hue depending on the light and angle.

Of course, new bike day, so it must dump rain and the wind is howling.....