Quantcast

Gravity Carbon Bars and XTR cranks

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Hey Monkeys.

Seen a few xtr cranks on dh builds here over the last few months, just wondering how the are holding up? They just look so darn hot. :)

Furthermore, has anyone tried the new gravity carbon bars. Ridiculously light, whats fsa's history like with bars?

Cheers

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I've just gone for XTR on my new build.

Only one ride out as yet, and it was horribly muddy so no chance to go & really work them (spent most of my time struggling to stay up!)

But in the limited non muddy bits where I could work them a bit, they felt good & I couldn't notice any flex :)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
my gravity carbon bars have been fine so far. super light (220g), decent width (710mm) and they do what they're supposed to. my only personal criticism was the slightly high (by current fashionable standards) 40mm rise, but now i see they have a lower version...

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
I am running that same combo on my socom and I love it. Initially I was worried how the xtr's would hold up but they have been great. The Gravity light carbon bars have taken plenty of good crashes. Aside from some very minor superficial scratches, they haven't skipped a beat.

-Jasen

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
What are your thoughts of bigger guys (read: 215lbs +) running the Gravity Lights? Do you notice any flex when you pull up/pump down?

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks guys. I ran the easton monkey lite carbon dh last year and would happily run them again if they came in 15-20m rise. So the fsa might fit the bill perfectly. I don't think the quality of the carbon is a good as with the nano tube stuff easton is pushing- would this be a correct assumption?

As for the cranks, has anyone seen the arms only available anywhere? From the aussie distro you can buy the left hand, but not the right hand crank arm, this scares me a little!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think the FSA carbon bars will hold up fine, they come in 25mm rise now I believe - which is a little high for guys coming off easton lowrise bars (~19mm), but they'll definitely be lower than the monkeylite DH bars. I've seen both the monkeylite DH and FSA bar broken, but only one of each.

I'd be more worried about the cranks personally, any real DH stuff will rip out the pedal threads and likely bend the arms (ala XT, hell they're even lighter) unless you don't clip anything when you ride. I've also heard a few complaints about the new interface coming loose and not being as reliable as the original hollowtech II setup.

But judging by the fact that they don't come in 83mm I'm guessing this isn't for one of your DH bikes... on a 4x rig or whatever I'm sure they'll be fine. In that case though I'd probably save the cash and just run the new XT's.

What are your thoughts of bigger guys (read: 215lbs +) running the Gravity Lights? Do you notice any flex when you pull up/pump down?
I'm 205 now, but just recently lost 10 pounds and have been riding the gravity carbon bars on my 4x/trail bike. No flexing or any problems/noticable differences from standard bars. Been hitting 20 ft gaps and racing slalom/4x on them since last August.