Quantcast

Gravity East 2008 official press release and schedule

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Gravity East Series Announces 2008 Schedule
The Gravity East Series is returning for 2008 after a successful debut in 2007. The 2008 series will consist of eight races on some of the most challenging courses the East Coast has to offer.
The series is growing in 2008 with some new venues and because the series is the USA Cycling Mountain Bike North Atlantic Regional Championship Series, each race is a qualifying event for the 2008 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships scheduled for July 17-20, 2008 in West Dover, Vermont. The host venue of the Gravity East Series Finals will be released when the venue has been selected.
2008 Tentative Schedule:
May 9-10 Massanutten Resort, McGaheysville, VA www.massresort.com
May 31-June 1 Mount Snow Resort, West Dover, VT www.mountsnow.com
June 21-22 Wisp Resort, McHenry, MD www.skiwisp.com
July 5-6 PlattekillMountain, Roxbury, NY www.plattekill.com
Aug 16-17 BoltonValley, Bolton Valley, VT www.boltonvalley.com
Aug 30-31 Whiteface, Wilmington, NY www.downhillmike.com
Sept 6-7 Attitash, Bartlett, NH www.attitash.com
Oct 11-12 GES Finals, TBD www.gravityeastseries.com
For 2008, the director of the series is Dieter Ward, known for his work with PlattekillMountain and as the interim director of the 2007 Gravity East Series. Mr. Ward will be the focal point for all Gravity East Series business. Working with him is a small staff of devoted individuals to help manage various tasks for the series. Managing the points and website for the 2008 series, will be Brady Owens who stepped in midway through the 2007 series. Mr. Owens will be responsible for handling the results, points calculations, and the official website. A sponsorship coordinator will also be selected to help manage sponsorships, prizes, and pro purse cash prizes.
Mad March Racing will be working closely with the Gravity East Series and venues to provide race day clinics. 2007 Gravity East Series finals featured riding lessons from Shaums March on the race course prior to the race.
For up to date information and official news visit the Gravity East Series website located at the following URL: http://www.gravityeastseries.com. To contact the directors of the series or for questions, send an email to info@gravityeastseries.com.
Size does matter!

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
no dureya ever again :( stupid kids killing pa state trees up by the monuments or something. that race was loads of fun. ill try getting out to some of these races.

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Yeah! Bolton and Attitash! Hell yeah!

How many races do you need to complete this year to qualify for the overall?

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Go Bolton! Great news since there was no race there in 2007.

Attitash is new, they could tape a very intense, short track.

I like that each round is at a different mountain. I guess a true regional series would do that.

Killington for the finals. Fast lift, many good trails to choose a race track from. Ask them if they are interested.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Go Bolton! Great news since there was no race there in 2007.

Attitash is new, they could tape a very intense, short track.

I like that each round is at a different mountain. I guess a true regional series would do that.

Killington for the finals. Fast lift, many good trails to choose a race track from. Ask them if they are interested.
pretty pumped on bolton... the track in 2006 was awesome until a rainstorm of biblical proportions ruined all the hard work that had gone into it :disgust:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Killington would make a great mountain for a final. Start right at the top, either corner or that secret chute into trail 30, then onto 5 and down to another of the 30's. It'd probably end up like a 7 minute DH trail

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Hey Yankees, I am looking for a back-to-back weekend trip this summer. Last year I did Whiteface and Snowshoe. I'd like to hit up a track I haven't done yet. So that is Mt. Snow, Bolton valley or Attitash. What will give me the best option for weekday riding and uniqueness of track?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Hey Yankees, I am looking for a back-to-back weekend trip this summer. Last year I did Whiteface and Snowshoe. I'd like to hit up a track I haven't done yet. So that is Mt. Snow, Bolton valley or Attitash. What will give me the best option for weekday riding and uniqueness of track?
I'd do Whiteface if I were you. That mountain is huge, the trails are super long, and Lake Placid can get a little bit crazy if you mix the right proportions of booze and chicks (long story . . . :-).

Anyway, if you did that, you could also ride 4 mountains other than Whiteface that are all within ~3 hours of Whiteface - Killington, Jiminy Peak, Bromont, and Plattekill. If you really wanted a sweet road trip, though, you could drive up through and do a big loop, starting down at Diablo, and then hitting 9 other lift-serviced bike parks pretty easily (Highland, Attitash, Sunday River, Bromont, Sugarbush, Killington, Whiteface, Jimminy, Plattekill).

Tons of possibilities; you just need to get the time off work! :)

--JP

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I got the time and the means, I juts need to nail some thing down. I have done Whiteface for the last two year and I have enjoyed it, but I'm looking for something new.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
bolton is a really fun place to ride and its loaded with roots like diablo is loaded with rock. lots of flow. nothing steep for any extending time. i don't know if its worth the means from down south, drawback is the slow lift. the 06 course is fun. that thing got wrecked by rain 2 seperate times that year .

killington would be dope for the finals you could have a long long course is they used 7 to 23 im already jonesin to ride there.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
whiteface would be ideal i think... and if you ever need a place to crash for a few days let me know. i live less than 2 hours from both whiteface and bromont, about 20 minutes from bolton, and about 30 minutes from some of the best singletrack xc riding you will find anywhere

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Thanks dave, I really, really want to ride Bromont. Scratch that, I want to race Bromont so badly. I'll keep in touch.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Thanks dave, I really, really want to ride Bromont. Scratch that, I want to race Bromont so badly. I'll keep in touch.
bromont race is the week before the us open... and since bromont is building an all new track for their WC this summer there is a chance that the new track could be used (if completed in time, but who knows as of now)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just a little nit-picking, but is there any reason why the Massanutten race can't be a regular Saturday/Sunday affair? I did it a couple of years ago and it was a blast, however, with the Gravity East series looking more and more like a Gravity Northeast series, it's extremely difficult for most people up here to make it to that specific race. Just seems a bit silly that a race in a regional series would be set up that way.