Quantcast

Gravity East 2010

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Since GES is a Series by Riders for riders

It would be awesome if this turned into a ideas and suggestions thread for 2010 GES - to get riders input before the USAC Mountain Bike Summit that is happening this weekend in Colorado Springs.

My GES suggestion is to cut the # of races back to a 7 Race Series, allow 1 drop.

Last edited:

craftbrewed

Chimp
Oct 13, 2009
Chambersburg, PA
What if the GE was split between 2 series? Still visiting the numerous resorts but allowing more people to have a chance at an overall. Gravity East Mid-Atlantic and Gravity East Northeast. You could still race both series to decide a GE champion but there would be a regional champ.

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
Since GES is a Series by Riders for riders

It would be awesome if this turned into a ideas and suggestions thread for 2010 GES - to get riders input before the USAC Mountain Bike Summit that is happening this weekend in Colorado Springs.

My GES suggestion is to cut the # of races back to a 7 Race Series, allow 1 drop.
AGREED, 7 or 8 races, 1 drop, and no conflicts with uci events, like us national champs, bromont/tremblant canada cups, etc..

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
What if the GE was split between 2 series? Still visiting the numerous resorts but allowing more people to have a chance at an overall. Gravity East Mid-Atlantic and Gravity East Northeast. You could still race both series to decide a GE champion but there would be a regional champ.
I would definitely compete in a Northeast series; as it is now I'll probably only go to a race or two of the GES because I can't get down to VA and MD easily enough to commit to the whole series.
It doesn't look like they have enough pa/va/md races to make a whole mid-coast series though.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
I know this is a crazy wish - but how cool would it be if we could get a local timing company like (Plattsys.com)(no relation to Platty) that times running/bike races with transponders to come out and time a few races in the series as test events to see if it could be feasible for the entire series.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I know this is a crazy wish - but how cool would it be if we could get a local timing company like (Plattsys.com)(no relation to Platty) that times running/bike races with transponders to come out and time a few races in the series as test events to see if it could be feasible for the entire series.
the world cup circuit has been using the timing chips this past year.

diablow was suppose to use them too this year, but never did

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What, you don't like doing three runs at platty to get one time? All the cool kids are doing it...since it gets screwed up regularly enough.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
What, you don't like doing three runs at platty to get one time? All the cool kids are doing it...since it gets screwed up regularly enough.
yep, seven reruns in over 500 starts. Two due to idiot freeriders going thru the finish area, one due to the sun reflecting off something triggering the timer and four due to injured/down riders.

But least Platty makes sure it gets it right

Those chips were tested by the UCI and used as a back up only.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not trying to start a bitch-fest, but I've been to two races at platty in the past ~year, and two people I know have had to re-run their race runs. One dude had to do it twice, but that was more by choice since his good run was screwed and he wrecked his second. That's from my relatively limited circle of friends, in two races, in two separate years.

Then the entire race was delayed for a while, but I realize now that I only ASSUMED it was because of timing, could have been because of a rider down.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
No timing issues at all, in fact we're proud we get it right and fair to racers. No drama, no accusations, no cheaters that we're aware of and NO favorites.

As Sicklines reported in one or their visits:
"The experience of riding and interacting with other like-minded riders who thoroughly enjoy their bikes was clear the entire weekend. Fun was encouraged and had by all in attendance."

"Race entry fees were lowered this year, and it’s clear they want to keep their riders enjoying their time on the bike and on their mountain. Food was grilled on the porch and offered at good prices without breaking the bank. With tough times for many riders, the lower fees were certainly welcomed by all."

"They certainly know how to put together a good race course."

We try to keep it all fun, our feeling is, it is not about the results but the experience. Plattekill's Race Series is run by racers for racers.

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
Why don't you guys start up your own GMW series?

You don't need a mountain to hold a downhill race.

And I reckon the midwest should geographically start at a longitude near Seven Springs PA...
absolutely no need of a mountain, there's plenty places like Granite Peak, WI, Marquette, MI and some less mountain places where good runs could be designed.
A GMW series would actually be a good idea.

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Participating venues willing to unify timing and registration for consideration as a GE venue would be great.
Dealing with a different set of volunteers at each venue, trying to figure out their version of registration challenges ones patience. It's usually the first thing you do upon arrival after having driven for several hours so it's a big deal. Almost as important as the timing.

What beats live timing? Maybe live timing with transponders? Transponders work. AMA as well as many other well organized sports use them. I worked a sag wagon at a triathelon a couple of years ago and everyone wore an anklet that gave the 3000 plus participants their time instantly as they crossed the finish line. Volunteers cut them from the athletes ankles and threw them into a box to be reused. Very cool.

Mistakes on the timing side happen everywhere and usually for different reasons. Using one good/state of the art timing company should greatly reduce reruns.

As far as the amount of races go, I think there should be more that just one dropped race. If there are any overlapping races at all it could ruin a riders chance to qualify. Without the 11 venues this year Neko wouldn't have been able to get 8 races in. Try as you might, there's no chance that you're going to get 8 races that don't overlap anything. Especially in the pro ranks.

The idea of a GES NE and a GES Mid Atlantic sounds like something to work towards in 2011. :thumb:

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
As far as the amount of races go, I think there should be more that just one dropped race. If there are any overlapping races at all it could ruin a riders chance to qualify. Without the 11 venues this year Neko wouldn't have been able to get 8 races in. Try as you might, there's no chance that you're going to get 8 races that don't overlap anything. Especially in the pro ranks.
:thumb:
If we look at the real numbers for GES 2009 participation it is clear that a majority of the racers show up for less than 5 races - So I think the total races in the series needs to be reduced Here is a quick analysis I did of PRO, CAT 1 and CAT 2.

Number of Races / Racers
PROS CAT1 CAT 2
11 0 1 0
10 0 1 1
9 3 2 2
8 5 8 3
7 1 5 0
6 3 8 5
5 4 4 1

16 29 12

Total racers participating in 5 or more races in PRO, CAT1 and CAT2 equaled 57 this means that out of the 525 racers who competed in these categories over the course of the GES season roughly 90% attend 4 or fewer races ( most attended 1 or 2)

Sorry this little table gets all jammed together but the far left column is the number of races and the other 3 columns to the right are racers in those categories -

Last edited:

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
yep, seven reruns in over 500 starts. Two due to idiot freeriders going thru the finish area, one due to the sun reflecting off something triggering the timer and four due to injured/down riders.

But least Platty makes sure it gets it right

Those chips were tested by the UCI and used as a back up only.
I wasn't stating there was a problem with any one mtn - I was merely thinking - we want to have the premiere race series here on the East Coast it would be cool to try the timing systems that they use in every Time Trial, Triathlon, local 5K running race..

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
A few ideas -

Less races

Good, diverse venues with known good courses or use of video / pictures to help draw bigger attendance for the courses that aren't as well known.

Course descriptions fully laid out as early as possible. Elevation, approx course times, course videos, etc.

Consistent registration (low prices for entry - especially in lower & women categories, discounts for pre-reg, schedule, timely results). Maybe a refer a friend discount or incentive of some sort for the lower & women categories?

Little/no overlap with other key races

Consistent/dependable pro purse payout (with additional per rider bonus).

Rider incentive / discounts to help draw top pro's to events (UCI points, lodging subsidiary for the top guys, quality food/drink at race venues, pro pits)

Draw more spectators and promote accordingly.

Community environment (have a movie premiere each sat. night)

Consistent methods and education for racers regarding their feedback and issues (timing issue procedures, a go to person to ask questions each weekend when they arise)

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
A few ideas -

Less races

Good, diverse venues with known good courses or use of video / pictures to help draw bigger attendance for the courses that aren't as well known.

Course descriptions fully laid out as early as possible. Elevation, approx course times, course videos, etc.

Consistent registration (low prices for entry - especially in lower & women categories, discounts for pre-reg, schedule, timely results). Maybe a refer a friend discount or incentive of some sort for the lower & women categories?

Consistent/dependable pro purse payout (with additional per rider bonus).

Rider incentive / discounts to help draw top pro's to events (UCI points, lodging subsidiary for the top guys, quality food/drink at race venues, pro pits)

Draw more spectators and promote accordingly.

Consistent methods and education for racers regarding their feedback and issues (timing issue procedures, a go to person to ask questions each weekend when they arise)
So basically let Laszlo run the series ?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
A few ideas -

Less races

Great ideas Jason

The first few are key to getting people to the races. With the drive we have, it's a $400-500 expense for each race. If we don't know that it's going to be a good course, it's hard to lay out that kind of cash.

The movie premier idea is great. We used to do this at our races. It helps to give people something to do and builds a comunity atmosphere. This also can help the venue make more money by selling food/beer. Back when we ran races, our venues (ski areas) feedback was that they made more off of our movie nights than any other day during the summer due to the bar sales.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
good points jason, there were a few races this year that we brought the small bikes(5" travel) because we werent sure what the course was gonna be like.

rich, i fall into the 4 race category... why? economic times. haven't worked with the union since dec. 2008, long story short i had to cut down lots of races and just race local which is diablo (25 mins from home) so thats what i did. i think fewer races or a split between southern and northern would be cool. by southern i mean like NC as well. there are tons of riders down there and they would kill to race a few weekends a month.

what do you think southerns? would you like the GES to go down to NC area??

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
what do you think southerns? would you like the GES to go down to NC area??
I was thinking about that while reading this thread.
This year, I did 8 DH races in the Carolinas alone, and 5 of those were NC ski resort races. I did Massanutten in Virginia as well, but did not get to do my normal routine of hitting up the Snowshoe races as I have a 1 year old at home. So considering what we have here now (and it is going to get even better for next year), and the fact that when we leave the Southeast to race, it is normally to go to Snowshoe or the US Open. None of those races require a USAC license. The only USAC race we did all year was Massanutten, and they had an open class. So, most all racers here do not even have a license because it is not needed. Maybe others from around here will chime in, but I don't know how good the attendence would be for a USAC race down here right now. And this is not a hater post bashing USAC, it is just the reality of our race scene down here.
For me personally, I don't care either way, I just enjoy racing, but I can see where that might eventually hurt the fast juniors around here and prohibit them from going pro someday. Maybe something can be done in the future to fix it.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
jeremy your not the first i heard this from. ive heard this from a few other southerners about not buying USAC license since theres almost no need for them down in your area.

the best person to speak up right now is dan. not sure what he thinks about this thread. but like mr. mulally said maybe in 2011 we will have a south/northeast series. than i say you crown the series winners for each region and than put on a race that will declare whos faster, south or north in all fun and games of course.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
I think Dan is working out Sponsors etc...for GES and getting ready for the MTB Summit in CO this weekend.

Fast juniors - if they are serious about taking there racing to the next level - they need to bite the bullet get a USAC license and race other mountains.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Fast juniors - if they are serious about taking there racing to the next level - they need to bite the bullet get a USAC license and race other mountains.
i agree.
as the GES is trying to be very well known nationally, it only makes sense for them to support the USAC.