Quantcast

Gravity East at Swain Mountain

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Yeah I know, Swain is not the best DH riding in NY. I was mainly wondering if anyone was going to race or just going to watch the race.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Lots of people will be there including myself. Track looks fun and it will be a great event im sure. GES doesnt usually let down. (imo)

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Thats cool. I'm sure there will be a few of us local guys hanging out and riding either Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Swain is not a bad place, they are mtb friendly and have a lot of potential. Though they could use a trail crew they have volunteers that work hard. It's just to ride there the lift is real slow and trails are short 15-20 min up and 90 seconds down, hopefully the ges exposure will help

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
Track Preview Video

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/271392/[/video]​

Complete review of Swain, http://diamondbackbuddy209.pinkbike.com/blog/Gravity-East-Series-4-Swain-Resort-Preview.html and the Track "WE" chose and designed with Swain is longer than 90 seconds

Stop #4 on the Gravity East Series will be heading to the Allegany Foothills of Western New York at Swain Resort. The quaint town of Swain has been developing and expanding it's resort every year. Swain began hosting lift-accessed mountain biking just a few years ago and last year developed a WNYMA sanctioned motocross track right on the hillside. On the weekend of August 25-26th, Gravity East riders will tackle a rocky, rooty, steep, fast, off-cambered race course called Sledgehammer.

Free camping is available onsite with contained fires permitted, restrooms will be open 24 hours, the Shawmut Grille will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner with a movie night on a 90" screen Saturday night!!

Swain's slope side bar & grill, The Shawmut Grille, opens during operating weekends and events serving up delicious burgers, wraps, wings, salads, and refreshing adult beverages. The outdoor deck is open with great views of the surrounding trails.

Mountain bike trails range from easy to extremely difficult, including various North Shore terrain features. Scenic lift rides, for those who simply wish to ride the lift, are also available during the lift-accessed mountain biking schedule (and Gravity East).

Swain Resort is a family-friendly downhill ski area, uniquely located on over 250 acres, situated in the mountains of Allegany County in western NY, that has been in continuous operation for 65 years. Current management took over operations in August of 2009 with aspirations of transforming the ski area into a four-season resort by introducing events like motocross, downhill mountain biking and an annual sportsmen’s festival.

Gravity East #4 Schedule

FRIDAY AUGUST 24, 2012:

Register on-line and save $5.00 over on-site registration just go to:
https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17205

3pm – 6pm -- Registration
3pm – 7pm – Practice (Discounted lift ticket of $18.00)
Entry fee includes two-day lift ticket
Entry fees Onsite $80/Am and $85/Pro

SATURDAY AUGUST 25, 2012:

8am – 4pm – Registration
Entry fees -- Onsite $80/Am and $85/Pro
8:30am – 6 pm – Practice

SUNDAY AUGUST 26, 2012:

8am – 10am – Registration
Entry fees -- Race day $90/Am and $95/Pro

8:30 am – 11 am – Practice
11am – 12 noons – Course closed
Post Race -- Award ceremonies under Shawmut Deck

For online registration and to save $5.00 over on-site go to:

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17205

For information on Gravity East go to:

http://www.gravityeastseries.com/

For information on Swain Resort go to:

http://www.swain.com/mountain-biking/

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Swain is not a bad place, they are mtb friendly and have a lot of potential. Though they could use a trail crew they have volunteers that work hard. It's just to ride there the lift is real slow and trails are short 15-20 min up and 90 seconds down, hopefully the ges exposure will help
I wish success on any mountain opening to bikes, less traveling for the locals and more options; its all how you use the terrain. Highland is puny but WOW! Racing is the key, because I doubt anyones travelling beaucoup hours to ride that small without the gang there and something on the line!

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
I wish success on any mountain opening to bikes, less traveling for the locals and more options; its all how you use the terrain. Highland is puny but WOW! Racing is the key, because I doubt anyones travelling beaucoup hours to ride that small without the gang there and something on the line!
Yes it is all about how you use the terrain the mountain has available. The GES race at Launch Bike Park in Pa. has been very successful providing a course, that while short, was very technical and enjoyed by the riders and they only have 400' vert. to work with.The course at Swain will be much longer as Swain has 650' vert and I think the riders will be very pleasantly surprised at the GES race course which also utilizes part of the MX course. Be prepared for some big air if you want it!
Swain is new to the DH scene and are serious about their MX and DH programs - it will only get better. They have great facilities, camping with indoor bathrooms, nice lodge/restaurant with big screen TV's and have a good market available to them that they can serve- Western - Central NY, Buffalo - Rochester Metro areas up to Toronto which is only a 3.5 hour drive, Ohio, Pa etc.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Yeall about how you use the terrain the mountain has available. The GES race at Launch Bike Park in Pa. has been very successful providing a course, that while short, was very technical and enjoyed by the riders and they only have 400' vert. s it is to work with.The course at Swain will be much longer as Swain has 650' vert and I think the riders will be very pleasantly surprised at the GES race course which also utilizes part of the MX course. Be prepared for some big air if you want it!
Not to disappoint but the table top jump that is part of the MX course only allows a DHer to get about 2-3ft off of the ground at most.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Not to disappoint but the table top jump that is part of the MX course only allows a DHer to get about 2-3ft off of the ground at most.
Not sure where the table top is that you are referring to but there will be a big double close to the finish line and there will be some other pretty big downhill booters on the MX course that will be used. Big air is always about height but also distance. Either way they will be fun and features that have not been on other GES courses this year.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Weather is going to be awesome;
Friday; sunny 84/58 0% chance of rain
Sat; sunny 84/58 0% chance of rain
Sun; sunny 82/62 0% chance of rain

Course is going to be super fast with some awesome jumps on the MX last section of the course. Good food, drinks, and MTB videos on big screen in the lodge nightly. Doesn't get any better than this!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Me and a few guys will be there riding Sunday and will check out the race for a while. Keep an eye out for a few bikes with Ridemonkey stickers on em.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Everything looks a lot better than the last time I was there. I will have to make a few trips out next season.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
For those of you who missed it, turned out to be a sick event, with really dusty conditions, swain didnt disappoint-and their hospitality was 2nd to none, with some of the best mtn food i have ever eaten.

https://vimeo.com/48340848
Cool vid dude! My buddy and I were there watching and riding the mountain on Sunday. We did one run down the course after the race was over, it was definitely a fun course for you guys.