Quantcast

Gravity East Race #1 Race Report

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
Gravity East Series Race # 1, Snowshoe Bike Park

On a great weather weekend high atop the Allegheny Mountains the GES kicked off its 2011 season in style at Snowshoe Mountain Resort in Snowshoe West Virginia.

It was great to see old friend’s riders from the previous season and new riders who participate in the Powerade Race Series held at Snowshoe throughout the year.

This GES Race # 1 saw a tremendous turnout of Female competitors across Cat 2/3, Cat 1 and Elites this weekend. It was exciting to see the involvement and growth of females in the sport.

In the Elite Women category Anne Galyean (East Coast Gravity) from Chapel Hill NC edged out 18 yr. old Lauren Daney (Specialized/Grom Racing) from Stafford VA.

Elite Women

1st Anne Galyean (East Coast Gravity) Chapel Hill NC
2nd Lauren Daney (Specialized/Grom Racing) Stafford VA
3rd Rae Gandolf (Sierra Nevada Brewing) Zanesville OH
4th Hillary Elgert (Racers Edge) Frederick MD

In the Elite Men category a competitor Leland O’Connor from Los Osos CA edged out a local rider Trevyn Newpher (Grom/Snowshoe/Chainsmoke) from Snowshoe WV by 9/10 of a second, followed by 3 competitors from the State of Vermont all belonging to the same team including last years 2nd place GES Champion Gavin Vaughn (RM East/Sugarbush) Sharon VT.

Elite Men

1st Leland O’Connor Los Osos CA
2nd Trevyn Newpher (Grom/Snowshoe/Chainsmoke) Snowshoe WV
3rd Adam Morse (RM/Smith/Sugarbush) Burlington VT
4th Gavin Vaughn (RM East/Sugarbush) Sharon VT
5th Tim White (RM/Smith/Sugarbush) Burlington VT

The Gravity East Series rolls on for race #2 in two weeks to Wisp Resort in McHenry MD the weekend of June 18 & 19.

For complete results, point standings and further information please visit our website at www.gravityeastseries.com or check us out on Face Book.

See You on the Mountain!

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Nice! I love when a series does stuff like this. It makes it actually feel like a series and that the promoters care about the work that it takes to make it on the podium.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
What happened to local hero Beytagh(sp?)? I have not seen him on any of the result lists this year, even at events that he has normally attended. Re-tired or just tired?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Wait...California? Who the heck is that guy?
Don't know, but first run on Sunday when the tracked was covered in mud, I stopped to look at a rock line, and I saw some cat in a orange t-shirt blaze that whole section like nobody told him it was muddy. So, when I saw him atop the podium in that same t-shirt I was not surprised. Straight pinned.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Don't know, but first run on Sunday when the tracked was covered in mud, I stopped to look at a rock line, and I saw some cat in a orange t-shirt blaze that whole section like nobody told him it was muddy. So, when I saw him atop the podium in that same t-shirt I was not surprised. Straight pinned.
SoCal sand must be harder to ride than I thought.:think:

bluegiant

Chimp
Aug 10, 2010

at 3:22 in

Leland's finish stretch is at 3:26

Awesome - but left wondering did that big hop actual increase time?

SMP

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
Nice write up, love the pics too!
Here is new video just released by Snowshoe...